Spacing lyrics to avoid visible bar lines only

Spacing lyrics to avoid visible bar lines only

joelhamme
My fellow singers in choir have been asking me to improve the visual chunking
of choir staves. They wanted to have closed bar lines on the right edge of
each choir staff.

Adding the `Span_bar_engraver` to `ChoirStaff` adds a lot of clutter and
results in collisions with the lyrics, which is particularly unappealing
with thick repeat bars. This can be quickly fixed by adding `Bar_engraver`
to `Lyrics` and hiding them as described in ^[notation lyrics].

However, for aesthetical reasons I prefer removing all span bars, except
non-defaults and single bar bars at the end of each line. So this would
leave all repeats and double bar lines but no single bars unless there's a
line break, much like ^[semi choir staff snippet]

I've found a way to do this, except that there's some spacing issue with the
lyrics at single bars that aren't even shown. In choir staves, lyrics can
move below a bar line to take up the available space, which leaves a more
pleasing appearance and saves space on the page. Sadly, I could either make
the lyrics avoid all bar lines or not at all, but not only the ones that are
actually shown.

To the point:
I would like to make the lyrics avoid some span bars while not avoiding the
bar lines I've omitted using a call back.

To illustrate I've compiled a somewhat minimal example using long words to
trigger some collisions. For convenience I've also uploaded it to
^[lilybin].

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5727/lyrics-spacing.png>

```lilypond
\version "2.18.2"

link = {
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
  \mark \markup \normalsize {
  \with-url #"http://lilybin.com/wmw4xx/6" "http://lilybin.com/wmw4xx/6"

redspn = \once \override Score.SpanBar.color = #red
grnbar = \once \override Score.BarLine.color = #green

notes = {
  \link
  c1 \redspn | \repeat volta 2 { c | c \grnbar | c } | c | c | c \bar "|."
}

words = \lyricmode {
  Breathes | \markup { \with-color #red breathes } |
  br | \markup { \with-color #green breathes } |
  breathes | br | breathes |

  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff \relative c'' \notes \addlyrics \words
    \new Staff \relative c'' \notes

  \layout {
    indent = 0
    \context { \ChoirStaff
      \consists "Span_bar_engraver"
      \override BarLine.after-line-breaking =
        #(lambda (grob)
          (if
            (and (= 0 (ly:item-break-dir grob))
                 (string=? (ly:grob-property grob 'glyph-name) "|") )
            (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'allow-span-bar #f)))
    }

        % \context { \Lyrics
    % \consists "Bar_engraver"
    % \hide BarLine
    % \override BarLine.after-line-breaking =
    %   #(lambda (grob)
    %     (if
    %       (and (= 0 (ly:item-break-dir grob)))
    %            (string=? (ly:grob-property grob 'glyph-name) "|")
    %       (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'stencil #f))
    %   )
    % }
```

The red colour indicates an unacceptable collision, whereas the green colour
indicates the desired loose spacing under bars that are not spanned across
staves. The commented-out section removes the relevant bar line stencils
from the lyrics, but fails to loosen the spacing where there are no longer
any bars to avoid.

Can I conditionally add bar lines to lyrics without otherwise affecting
their spacing?

Sorry this got so long, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Joel

[notation lyrics]:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#placing-syllables-horizontally
[semi choir staff snippet]: http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=299
[lilybin]: http://lilybin.com/wmw4xx/6

Re: Spacing lyrics to avoid visible bar lines only

Jan-Peter Voigt
Hello Joel,

when I typeset choir scores, which I do most often, I use the
self-alignment-X override for long syllables:

words = \lyricmode {
  Breathes | \once \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #-.5 \markup {
\with-color #red breathes } |
  br | \markup { \with-color #green breathes } |
  \once \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #-.6 breathes | br |
breathes |
}

That harmonizes spacing. If you read some of my former posts you will
know I do inject those overrides with the edition-engraver because it
would be very tedious to place them alll inside the lyrics.
But with a small command
sax = #(define-music-function (parser location v)(number?) #{ \once
\override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #v #})

(or shorter in the V2.19 form - this doesn't work 2.18.2)
sax = \once \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = \etc

its not that much text, if you place them inside the lyrics:
   Breathes | \sax #-.5 \markup { \with-color #red breathes } |

I hope this small hint helps
Cheers,
Jan-Peter

Am 31.10.18 um 17:58 schrieb joelhamme:

> [...]
> staves. The commented-out section removes the relevant bar line stencils
> from the lyrics, but fails to loosen the spacing where there are no longer
> any bars to avoid.
>
> Can I conditionally add bar lines to lyrics without otherwise affecting
> their spacing?
>
> Sorry this got so long, any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Joel
>
> [notation lyrics]:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#placing-syllables-horizontally
> [semi choir staff snippet]: http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=299
> [lilybin]: http://lilybin.com/wmw4xx/6
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

Re: Spacing lyrics to avoid visible bar lines only

Thomas Morley-2
Am Mi., 31. Okt. 2018 um 18:11 Uhr schrieb joelhamme <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>     %       (and (= 0 (ly:item-break-dir grob)))
>     %            (string=? (ly:grob-property grob 'glyph-name) "|")
>     %       (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'stencil #f))
>     %   )
>     % }
>   }
> }
> ```
>
> The red colour indicates an unacceptable collision, whereas the green colour
> indicates the desired loose spacing under bars that are not spanned across
> staves. The commented-out section removes the relevant bar line stencils
> from the lyrics, but fails to loosen the spacing where there are no longer
> any bars to avoid.
>
> Can I conditionally add bar lines to lyrics without otherwise affecting
> their spacing?
>
> Sorry this got so long, any help would be much appreciated.

How about:

\version "2.18.2"

%% srfi-1 is not present inside \layout (needed for 'every')
%% Thus defined at toplevel
#(define set-extra-spacing-height-for-span-bars
  (lambda (grob)
    (let* ((pap-col (ly:item-get-column grob))
           (nmpc (ly:grob-object pap-col 'left-neighbor))
           (nmpc-elts-array (ly:grob-object nmpc 'elements))
           (nmpc-elts-ls (if (ly:grob-array? nmpc-elts-array)
                   (ly:grob-array->list nmpc-elts-array)
                   '()))
           (sp-bl
             (filter
               (lambda (g) (grob::has-interface g 'span-bar-interface))
               nmpc-elts-ls))
           (sp-bl-glyphs
              (map (lambda (g) (ly:grob-property g 'glyph-name)) sp-bl)))
     (if (every (lambda (gl) (not (string=? "|" gl))) sp-bl-glyphs)
         '(-inf.0 . +inf.0)
         '(0 . 0)))))

[...]

      \override BarLine.allow-span-bar =
        #(lambda (grob)
           (if (or (= -1 (ly:item-break-dir grob))
                   (not (string=? (ly:grob-property grob 'glyph-name) "|")))
               #t
               #f))
    }
     \context {
       \Lyrics
       \override LyricText.extra-spacing-height =
         #set-extra-spacing-height-for-span-bars

  Harm

On 31. Oct 2018, 23:13 +0000, Thomas Morley <[hidden email]>, wrote:
[...]

% )
% }
```

[...]

Hello Harm,

Thank you, your answer was exactly what I was hoping for, in that it solves the problem universally. Unfortunately, there are a couple of issues that were less apparent in the example from my original post.

```lilypond
\version "2.19.48"

[...]

\with-url #"http://lilybin.com/wmw4xx/7" "http://lilybin.com/wmw4xx/7"

grnspn = \once \override Score.SpanBar.color = #green
redspn = \once \override Score.SpanBar.color = #red
grnbar = \once \override Score.BarLine.color = #green

notes = {
\override Staff.TimeSignature.color = #red
\link
\phrasingSlurDashed
c1 | \grnspn
\repeat volta 2 {
c | c \grnbar | c
} | c2\( c\) | c \redspn \bar "|."
}

words = \lyricmode {
\markup { \with-color #red Breathes } | breathes | br | breathes |
breathes | \markup { \with-color #red breathes } | breathes |
}

wordsTwo = \lyricmode {
\markup { \with-color #red Breathes } | breathes | br | breathes |
breathes __ | _ | breathes |

\new ChoirStaff <<
\new Staff \relative c'' \notes
\addlyrics \words
\addlyrics \wordsTwo
[...]

The lyrics now horizontally evade the time signature and words from other stanzas. Also, somehow it’s not working on the end of the line, either.

I was hoping I could remove bar lines from the lyrics selectively, maybe there’s still a chance for that?

Ian-Peter’s solution unfortunately isn’t very practical across a couple hundred pages of music.

Also, I’m so sorry for triple posting last time, this is my first time here and I’m not used to mailing lists.

Thanks,
Joel