Slurs around tuplets / tuplets inside staff - Could this be a sponsored feature??

Slurs around tuplets / tuplets inside staff - Could this be a sponsored feature??

Trent Johnston
Good evening all,

I suppose this email is directed at  Han-Wen since I am looking a possibly sponsoring a new feature.

I was wondering whether slurs could be made to encase tuplet numbers. i.e. the slur would go over the number and not through the number as it does now...

Could the tuplet number be allowed within the staff. The tuplet number would be put just above the noteheads or beam wherever they are in the staff.

Also with the 'staccatissimo' symbol can this be made to act like the staccato mark and be placed just above the notehead or beam wherever it is the staff.

Thanks in advance.

Trent

Re: Slurs around tuplets / tuplets inside staff - Could this be a sponsored feature??

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Trent Johnston wrote:

> Good evening all,
>
> I suppose this email is directed at  Han-Wen since I am looking a
> possibly sponsoring a new feature.
>
> I was wondering whether slurs could be made to encase tuplet numbers.
> i.e. the slur would go over the number and not through the number as it
> does now...
>
> Could the tuplet number be allowed within the staff. The tuplet number
> would be put just above the noteheads or beam wherever they are in the
> staff.

Hi Trent,

I can these features for EUR 90.

> Also with the 'staccatissimo' symbol can this be made to act like the
> staccato mark and be placed just above the notehead or beam wherever it
> is the staff.

try this

   \relative { \stemUp b'-\tweak #'quantize-position ##t -| }

A recent 2.7 is needed for this. If your version is too old, you can
probably get away with

  \once \override Script #'quantize-position = ##t

Re: Slurs around tuplets / tuplets inside staff - Could this be a sponsored feature??

Trent Johnston
Sounds good to me...!!

Thanks

Trent

> > I suppose this email is directed at  Han-Wen since I am looking a
> > possibly sponsoring a new feature.
> >
> > I was wondering whether slurs could be made to encase tuplet numbers.
> > i.e. the slur would go over the number and not through the number as it
> > does now...
> >
> > Could the tuplet number be allowed within the staff. The tuplet number
> > would be put just above the noteheads or beam wherever they are in the
> > staff.
>
> Hi Trent,
>
> I can these features for EUR 90.
>
> > Also with the 'staccatissimo' symbol can this be made to act like the
> > staccato mark and be placed just above the notehead or beam wherever it
> > is the staff.
>

> try this
>
>    \relative { \stemUp b'-\tweak #'quantize-position ##t -| }
>

> A recent 2.7 is needed for this. If your version is too old, you can
> probably get away with
>
>   \once \override Script #'quantize-position = ##t
>
> --
>   Han-Wen Nienhuys - [hidden email] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen

Re: Slurs around tuplets / tuplets inside staff - Could this be a sponsored feature??

David Raleigh Arnold
On Saturday 17 December 2005 04:54 am, Trent Johnston wrote:
> Good evening all,
>
> I suppose this email is directed at  Han-Wen since I am looking a
possibly sponsoring a new feature.

> I was wondering whether slurs could be made to encase tuplet numbers.
i.e. the slur would go over the number and not through the number as it
does now...

This used to be popular but it is a bad idea because you can't tell
whether there is really supposed to be any slurring or not.

See the triplets in my "Alegrias for Rose" on my site, for a better
than standard triplet bracket.  It's been in use in the Philippines
for some decades.

> Could the tuplet number be allowed within the staff. The tuplet
number would be put just above the noteheads or beam wherever they are
in the staff.

That's where they are supposed to be, close.  You have found an ugly
ugly ugly bug.  daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
"Dynamic Guitar Technique": http://www.openguitar.com/instruction.html

Re: Slurs around tuplets / tuplets inside staff - Could this be asponsored feature??

Trent Johnston

Hi David,

Just in reply to your statement ----

>>> This used to be popular but it is a bad idea because you can't tell
>>> whether there is really supposed to be any slurring or not.

I realise this but I typeset baroque and classical scores where a slur is often placed around the tuplet number. As for trying to figure out whether it is a 'slur' or 'a group' I leave this to the performer(s) since I'm trying to make the score as faithful to the original edition as possible -- an urtext. The feature which I've sponsored isn't a mandatory feature but simply one that users can switch on or off when editing baroque and classical works or any other works for that matter.

Regards,

Trent Johnston

From:  David Raleigh Arnold <[hidden email]>
To:  [hidden email]