Slur connecting fingering numbers

Rachel Knight
Is there a command to connect fingerings with a slur? The slur should not connect the notes, but the actual fingering numbers. (This indicates a thumb slide in harp music.)
Best,
Rachel

Re: Slur connecting fingering numbers

Federico Bruni-2
Hi Rachel

This snippet can draw straight lines and dash lines between fingerings:
<http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=999>

Perhaps someone can adapt it to draw curved lines...

Il giorno lun 4 feb 2019 alle 18:18, Rachel Knight
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> Is there a command to connect fingerings with a slur? The slur should
> not connect the notes, but the actual fingering numbers. (This
> indicates a thumb slide in harp music.)
> Best,
> Rachel

Re: Slur connecting fingering numbers

David Nalesnik
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:53 AM Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rachel
>
> This snippet can draw straight lines and dash lines between fingerings:
> <http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=999>
>
> Perhaps someone can adapt it to draw curved lines...
>

> Il giorno lun 4 feb 2019 alle 18:18, Rachel Knight
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> > Is there a command to connect fingerings with a slur? The slur should
> > not connect the notes, but the actual fingering numbers. (This
> > indicates a thumb slide in harp music.)
> > Best,
> > Rachel

Perhaps the attachment at
https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@.../msg74764.html could
likewise be adapted with a slur stencil.  The advantage with this
method is that you don't need to set X and Y coordinates.

Best,
David

Re: Slur connecting fingering numbers

Thomas Morley-2
Am Mo., 4. Feb. 2019 um 19:27 Uhr schrieb David Nalesnik
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:53 AM Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Rachel
> >
> > This snippet can draw straight lines and dash lines between fingerings:
> > <http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=999>
> >
> > Perhaps someone can adapt it to draw curved lines...
> >

> > Il giorno lun 4 feb 2019 alle 18:18, Rachel Knight
> > <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> > > Is there a command to connect fingerings with a slur? The slur should
> > > not connect the notes, but the actual fingering numbers. (This
> > > indicates a thumb slide in harp music.)
> > > Best,
> > > Rachel
>
> Perhaps the attachment at
> https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@.../msg74764.html could
> likewise be adapted with a slur stencil.  The advantage with this
> method is that you don't need to set X and Y coordinates.
>
> Best,
> David
Attached a first try

Best,
  Harm

finger-glide-with-bow-engraver-01.ly (6K) Download Attachment
finger-glide-with-bow-engraver-01.png (48K) Download Attachment

Re: Slur connecting fingering numbers

Rachel Knight
Hi,
The slur looks great and I was able to implement it for regular notes (the E and D in the example below). In my example though, I need the slur to be between the two notes labeled with fingering “1.” The small notes are added as an acciaccatura, and when I added \glissando, nothing changed. Do I need to add something else?
Rachel

<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Is there a command to connect fingerings with a slur? The slur should
not connect the notes, but the actual fingering numbers. (This
indicates a thumb slide in harp music.)
Best,
Rachel

Perhaps the attachment at
https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@.../msg74764.html could
likewise be adapted with a slur stencil.  The advantage with this
method is that you don't need to set X and Y coordinates.

Best,
David

Attached a first try

Best,
 Harm
<finger-glide-with-bow-engraver-01.ly><finger-glide-with-bow-engraver-01.png>

Re: Slur connecting fingering numbers

Valentin Villenave-3
On 2/5/19, Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Attached a first try

Wow, that’s beautiful! Please let me know when you deem it LSR-ready :-)

Cheers,
V.

Am Di., 5. Feb. 2019 um 04:05 Uhr schrieb Rachel Knight <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> The slur looks great and I was able to implement it for regular notes (the E and D in the example below). In my example though, I need the slur to be between the two notes labeled with fingering “1.” The small notes are added as an acciaccatura, and when I added \glissando, nothing changed. Do I need to add something else?
> Rachel

Hi Rachel,

default LilyPond drops the glissando-stencil in very tight situations. See:

{
  \override Glissando.after-line-breaking =
    #(lambda (grob) (write (ly:grob-property grob 'stencil)))
  \acciaccatura { e''16 f''\glissando }
  e''8
}

Terminal displays '()

Though, my procedure printing the bows relies on a stencil being
present. Thus nothing happens.
This dependance bugs me anyway, so I'll have another look in the evening.

For now you could lengthen the glissando with:

\override Glissando.springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
\override Glissando.minimum-length = 2 %% adjust  to taste.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: Slur connecting fingering numbers

Thomas Morley-2
Am Di., 5. Feb. 2019 um 09:26 Uhr schrieb Valentin Villenave
<[hidden email]>:

> On 2/5/19, Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Attached a first try
>
> Wow, that’s beautiful! Please let me know when you deem it LSR-ready :-)

This will not happen very soon. The LSR runs 2.18.2, but the used
make-tie-stencil is a 2.19 feature.

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: Slur connecting fingering numbers

Thomas Morley-2
Am Di., 5. Feb. 2019 um 10:38 Uhr schrieb Thomas Morley
<[hidden email]>:

> Though, my procedure printing the bows relies on a stencil being
> present. Thus nothing happens.
> This dependance bugs me anyway, so I'll have another look in the evening.

I've eliminate default-stencil dependancy. Please test.

Cheers,
  Harm

finger-glide-with-bow-engraver-02.ly (8K) Download Attachment

Am Mi., 6. Feb. 2019 um 00:18 Uhr schrieb Rachel Knight <[hidden email]>:
Hooray, it works and looks amazing!
Rachel

Glad I could help.

Best,
  Harm

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 4.16.58 PM.png (17K) Download Attachment

Re: Slur connecting fingering numbers

Werner LEMBERG

>> Hooray, it works and looks amazing!
>
> Glad I could help.

This small example is really nice, and perhaps it can be added as a
`harp music snippet' to the documentation.

    Werner

Am Mi., 6. Feb. 2019 um 06:57 Uhr schrieb Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]>:

> >> Hooray, it works and looks amazing!
> >
> > Glad I could help.
>
> This small example is really nice, and perhaps it can be added as a
> `harp music snippet' to the documentation.
>

>     Werner

Hi Werner,

currently the code hijacks Glissando. I.e. the default glissando is no
longer printable.
I don't feel such a workaround should be in the docs.

Though, I'd like to come to a behaviour where "Finger-glissandos" are
possible without disturbing default-glissando (between NoteHeads)
That would be a nice amendment for our docs, not only for the harp,
but for guitar, violin, etc

I'll have to find a way to create glissandos and select properly.

For the creation part I've found that I can add additional glissandos
with glissandoMap. See:

val = 0

{
  \override Glissando.after-line-breaking =
  #(lambda (grob)
    (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'extra-offset (cons 0 val))
    (set! val (1+ val)))

  \set glissandoMap = #'((0 . 0) (0 . 0))
  c'\glissando f'
}

Is it safe to rely on it, or is it rather bug-using?

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: Slur connecting fingering numbers

Thomas Morley-2
Am Mi., 6. Feb. 2019 um 22:43 Uhr schrieb Thomas Morley
<[hidden email]>:

> > > Glad I could help.
> >
> > This small example is really nice, and perhaps it can be added as a
> > `harp music snippet' to the documentation.
> >

> >     Werner
>
> Hi Werner,
>
> currently the code hijacks Glissando. I.e. the default glissando is no
> longer printable.
> I don't feel such a workaround should be in the docs.
>
> Though, I'd like to come to a behaviour where "Finger-glissandos" are
> possible without disturbing default-glissando (between NoteHeads)
> That would be a nice amendment for our docs, not only for the harp,
> but for guitar, violin, etc
>
> I'll have to find a way to create glissandos and select properly.
>
> For the creation part I've found that I can add additional glissandos
> with glissandoMap. See:
>
> val = 0
>
> {
>   \override Glissando.after-line-breaking =
>   #(lambda (grob)
>     (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'extra-offset (cons 0 val))
>     (set! val (1+ val)))
>
>   \set glissandoMap = #'((0 . 0) (0 . 0))
>   c'\glissando f'
> }
>
> Is it safe to rely on it, or is it rather bug-using?
>
> Cheers,
>   Harm
I now come up with the attached code.

It's now possible to preserve the default glissandi. Also,
"glissando-stubs" are printable.

Still not sure if it's suitable for our docs.
Apart from the user-interface, which is still terrible, a new
context-property is defined and used: fingerSlide (boolean)

Cheers,
  Harm

glissandi-default-and-finger-various-styles-01.pdf (65K) Download Attachment
glissandi-default-and-finger-various-styles-01.ly (26K) Download Attachment

Re: Slur connecting fingering numbers

Rachel Knight
One more question on this snippet - I encountered a place in my score with two thumb slides in a row. When that happens, it is nice to have the fingering numbers in a line. I figured out how to move the fingering number, but the slur did not go with it.

r8 c'\p-3[ \acciaccatura {
        \override Fingering.font-size = #-5
        df16-2 ef-1\glissando}
        \once \override Fingering.extra-offset = #'(0 . 1.5)
        df8-1]\glissando |
      \revert Fingering.font-size
      c-1

Would it be possible to add a property to the code so that the slur stays with the fingering number when moved?
If not, how would I adjust the slur in this example?

Best,
Rachel

<[hidden email]>:

[...]

<glissandi-default-and-finger-various-styles-01.pdf><glissandi-default-and-finger-various-styles-01.ly>