Single Straight Eighths?

S L Raymond
In a Jazz chart with mostly swung eighth notes, what is the preferred
nomenclature for a single straight 8th note?

IMO, the markup "straight" is a bit crowded for just one or two notes.
I've considered using a sixteenth-dotted eighth figure, supposing that a
performer would interpret the "ahead of the beat" implication.

Any thoughts?

Lyle

Re: Single Straight Eighths?

Atte
S L Raymond wrote:

> IMO, the markup "straight" is a bit crowded for just one or two notes.
> I've considered using a sixteenth-dotted eighth figure, supposing that a
> performer would interpret the "ahead of the beat" implication.

I'd write "straight". Another option would be a duol...

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://www.atte.dk
http://www.atte.dk/gps

Re: Single Straight Eighths?

David Feuer-2
On 4/12/06, Atte André Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> S L Raymond wrote:
>
> > IMO, the markup "straight" is a bit crowded for just one or two notes.
> > I've considered using a sixteenth-dotted eighth figure, supposing that a
> > performer would interpret the "ahead of the beat" implication.
>
> I'd write "straight". Another option would be a duol...

I don't see "duol" in the OED, dictionary.com, Wikipedia, or the
LilyPond manual.  Could you tell me what it means?  My instinct for
marking the straight note would be one of those little lines
indicating full value.  Is that a duol?

David

Re: Single Straight Eighths?

David Rogers-6

On 12-Apr-06, at 09:01, David Feuer wrote:

> On 4/12/06, Atte André Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> S L Raymond wrote:
>>
>>> IMO, the markup "straight" is a bit crowded for just one or two
>>> notes.
>>> I've considered using a sixteenth-dotted eighth figure, supposing
>>> that a
>>> performer would interpret the "ahead of the beat" implication.
>>
>> I'd write "straight". Another option would be a duol...
>
> I don't see "duol" in the OED, dictionary.com, Wikipedia, or the
> LilyPond manual.  Could you tell me what it means?  My instinct for
> marking the straight note would be one of those little lines
> indicating full value.  Is that a duol?

I think this would be "duolet" - two notes marked like a triplet is
marked (but using a 2 instead of a 3, of course)

David

Re: Single Straight Eighths?

ladelfa
S L Raymond <sly_raymond <at> charter.net> writes:

> In a Jazz chart with mostly swung eighth notes, what is the preferred
> nomenclature for a single straight 8th note?

A single one? I can't imagine how you've not have some multiple of 2.

Completely unambiguous would be the designation "no swing" above the notes in
question and "swing" immediately after.

Or even better: use the same horizontal dashed line and closing foot as is used
for 8va signs, e.g.

          No swing-----------------|  Swing
(notes)    (notes)    (more notes)     (notes)

The "duol" suggestion someone else gave is also pretty good. (I believe the
actual term is "duplet") In this case, two eigth notes with a bracket and the
numeral 2 over them doesn't mean exactly the same thing it does in 6/8 music
(e.g. to change the length of the eighths by 150%), but it's a visual indicator
that you want them played somehow differently -- more "squarely" -- from their
neighbors.

I'd use the duplet-bracket indication WITH a text label "(not swung)" the first
time it appears, and then the duplet-bracket by itself thereafter. That should
be fairly clear to most players.

> IMO, the markup "straight" is a bit crowded for just one or two notes.
> I've considered using a sixteenth-dotted eighth figure, supposing that a
> performer would interpret the "ahead of the beat" implication.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Lyle

Re: Single Straight Eighths?

Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
As a jazz musician I like the designation "no swing" or "straight 8ths" with a dashed line to scope it, as offered by another poster to this thread.  The notes themselves should be left alone.  I'd put it below the staff in a small font but a little higher than where dynamics are usually found.

Re: Single Straight Eighths?

S L Raymond
My current solution, which only works in a 3/4 jazz waltz, is to place a
4:3 bracket above either half or all the measure, whichever is
appropriate.

So for example, if the phrase is 888 8~88  (the ~ is a tie) and the last
two eights are to be played straight, I place a |----4:3-----| over the
second half of the measure.

Lyle