Sheet music via the Bash Terminal, Possible?

Sheet music via the Bash Terminal, Possible?

Vivyan
I'm using Raspbian lite which limits me to just the command line. Is it
possible or has anyone exclusively used the Terminal shell to edit and
somehow view sheet music?

Many thanks,

Joel

Re: Sheet music via the Bash Terminal, Possible?

SoundsFromSound
On 5/11/2018 4:08 PM, Vivyan wrote:
I'm using Raspbian lite which limits me to just the command line. Is it
possible or has anyone exclusively used the Terminal shell to edit and
somehow view sheet music?

Many thanks,

Joel

Hello Joel,

You can certainly edit the sheet music from a terminal (i.e. Vim, etc) but do you want a terminal-application to actually view the sheet music? I don't know off the top of my head any terminal-based applications that let you actually view a PDF of sheet music *in* the terminal, without at least converting it to text or something. (Not ideal for music, of course)

Does the OS not allow xpdf to be installed and used? You should be able to view the sheet music in it (X11) or something - and also you could do this over SSH or whatever, but I think you're out of luck if you want a straight up terminal music viewer...

Am I understanding you correctly? :) How are you interacting with the Pi?

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: Sheet music via the Bash Terminal, Possible?

SoundsFromSound
On 5/11/2018 4:08 PM, Vivyan wrote:
I'm using Raspbian lite which limits me to just the command line. Is it
possible or has anyone exclusively used the Terminal shell to edit and
somehow view sheet music?

Many thanks,

Joel

I thought that mupdf is installed by default but I could be mistaken...it's been a while.

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: Sheet music via the Bash Terminal, Possible?

Noeck
Dear Joel,

edit yes: you can use vim, emacs, nano, ... to edit lilypond files.
convert yes: you can run lilypond on the commandline
view hmm: I don't know how this should work. Ascii-art?

Best,
Joram

Re: Sheet music via the Bash Terminal, Possible?

David Wright
On Fri 11 May 2018 at 13:08:03 (-0700), Vivyan wrote:
> I'm using Raspbian lite which limits me to just the command line. Is it
> possible or has anyone exclusively used the Terminal shell to edit and
> somehow view sheet music?

That sounds like more trouble then it's worth (unless you ssh
from an Xserver running elsewhere┬╣).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_framebuffer
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO/

These explain what you would be attempting. I think the second is
older than the PI so ARMs get mentioned but not PIs.

┬╣ all my boxes are configured to be able to run X if and when a screen
is attached, so I can't check just how lite a system you can get away
with to run, say, xpdf on a headless PI.

Cheers,
David.