Segfault when using specific symbol combination

Segfault when using specific symbol combination

Mathias Bockwoldt
Dear Lilypond team,

I found a symbol combination that triggers a segfault in Lilypond 2.18.2 on Linux (Linux subsystem for Windows 10). I did not have the chance to reproduce on other machines or with other versions.
I tried looking for the bug in the database and I am 98% sure that it is not there, yet.
More information about the actual circumstances for the bug is in the attached file.

Thank you for this great product!
Mathias

bugreport.ly (526 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Segfault when using specific symbol combination

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno ven 6 mar 2020 alle 11:38, Mathias Bockwoldt
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Dear Lilypond team,
>
> I found a symbol combination that triggers a segfault in Lilypond
> 2.18.2 on Linux (Linux subsystem for Windows 10). I did not have the
> chance to reproduce on other machines or with other versions.
> I tried looking for the bug in the database and I am 98% sure that it
> is not there, yet.
> More information about the actual circumstances for the bug is in the
> attached file.
>
> Thank you for this great product!
> Mathias

Can you paste lilypond output here?

I cannot reproduce it using "native" Linux and lilypond 2.20.
Your example compiles without errors.

Mathias Bockwoldt <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear Lilypond team,
>
> I found a symbol combination that triggers a segfault in Lilypond
> 2.18.2 on Linux (Linux subsystem for Windows 10). I did not have the
> chance to reproduce on other machines or with other versions.
> I tried looking for the bug in the database and I am 98% sure that it is not there, yet.
> More information about the actual circumstances for the bug is in the attached file.
>
> Thank you for this great product!
> Mathias
>
> % This example segfaults:
> % > Parsing...
> % > Interpreting music...
> % > Preprocessing graphical objects...Segmentation fault
> % It does *not* segfault when changing any of these:
> % - remove "--"
> % - remove "~"
> % - use single note instead of two (i.e. dont use <'>)
> % - adding more notes to the end (just segfaults when this "construct" is at the end)
> \version "2.18.2"
> {
>   <g' b'>--~
> }

Doesn't appear to segfault with 2.21.0.  Can corroborate segfault with
the 2.18.2 version in Ubuntu.  I suspect one of several segfault fixes
we had for GCC optimizing (!this) away as being always false, basically
because we called member functions on a null pointer, and the member
functions then checked the condition.

There are other reasons why current compilers do no longer compile
2.18.2, so it would be rather tricky to track this down.

Can you try with 2.20.0?

RE: Segfault when using specific symbol combination

Mathias Bockwoldt
Thank you for your quick response!

I tried Lilypond 2.20 now on Windows and Linux and the segfault disappeared. Sorry for the false alarm. I did not try 2.20 in the first place, because I did not find any bug report and thought that the error appears under such specific circumstances that it is unlikely to be discovered. But apparently, it was fixed!

Just in case you are still interested, here is the Lilypond 2.18 output:

$ lilypond bugreport.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.18.2
Processing `bugreport.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Best,
Mathias