Scribus - alternative to lilybook?

Arthur Dyck
I haven't seen anything on this list about Scribus, a linux-based desktop
publishing program.  I have been playing with it and it has some interesting
features.  Basically, you define your page size with borders and then create
text or image boxes for your input.  You can import lilypond pdf images
directly into your image box.  You can then put transparent text boxes on top
of your image allowing you to do anykind of markup anywhere.  I wouldn't
recommend it for a an ordinary sheet of music, but I think it adds some
interesting possibilites.  I am trying to learn how to use it and how to use
Lilypond at the same time as I'm working on a liturgy, so it's making for
some long -- but fun -- days.

Arthur

Re: Scribus - alternative to lilybook?

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Arthur Dyck wrote:

> I haven't seen anything on this list about Scribus, a linux-based desktop
> publishing program.  I have been playing with it and it has some interesting
> features.  Basically, you define your page size with borders and then create
> text or image boxes for your input.  You can import lilypond pdf images
> directly into your image box.  You can then put transparent text boxes on top
> of your image allowing you to do anykind of markup anywhere.  I wouldn't
> recommend it for a an ordinary sheet of music, but I think it adds some
> interesting possibilites.  I am trying to learn how to use it and how to use
> Lilypond at the same time as I'm working on a liturgy, so it's making for
> some long -- but fun -- days.

I think Scribus has a python interface, so you could write a little
plugin that takes .ly code,  runs it through lily, and pasts back the
resulting PDF files.

That would actually be pretty neat...

Sponsored feature, anyone?

Re: [SPAM] Re: Scribus - alternative to lilybook?

andrea valle
(I did exactly that job using ConTeXt as typesetting environment for my
scores.  We discussed of lily in the ConTeXt mailing list for a while.
Here two half-finished
works:www.semiotiche.it/andrea/membrana/nodi-I.pdf
www.semiotiche.it/andrea/membrana/nodi-II.pdf

score fragments by lily, graph and general typesetting by ConTeXt
)

Best

-a-

On 2 Nov 2005, at 16:41, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Arthur Dyck wrote:
>> I haven't seen anything on this list about Scribus, a linux-based
>> desktop publishing program.  I have been playing with it and it has
>> some interesting features.  Basically, you define your page size with
>> borders and then create text or image boxes for your input.  You can
>> import lilypond pdf images directly into your image box.  You can
>> then put transparent text boxes on top of your image allowing you to
>> do anykind of markup anywhere.  I wouldn't recommend it for a an
>> ordinary sheet of music, but I think it adds some interesting
>> possibilites.  I am trying to learn how to use it and how to use
>> Lilypond at the same time as I'm working on a liturgy, so it's making
>> for some long -- but fun -- days.
>
> I think Scribus has a python interface, so you could write a little
> plugin that takes .ly code,  runs it through lily, and pasts back the
> resulting PDF files.
>
> That would actually be pretty neat...
>
> Sponsored feature, anyone?
>
> --
>  Han-Wen Nienhuys - [hidden email] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino

Re: Scribus - alternative to lilybook?

Henrik Frisk
Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Arthur Dyck wrote:
> > I haven't seen anything on this list about Scribus, a linux-based
> > desktop publishing program.  I have been playing with it and it has
> > some interesting features.  Basically, you define your page size
> > with borders and then create text or image boxes for your input.
> > You can import lilypond pdf images directly into your image box.
> > You can then put transparent text boxes on top of your image
> > allowing you to do anykind of markup anywhere.  I wouldn't recommend
> > it for a an ordinary sheet of music, but I think it adds some
> > interesting possibilites.  I am trying to learn how to use it and
> > how to use Lilypond at the same time as I'm working on a liturgy, so
> > it's making for some long -- but fun -- days.
>
> I think Scribus has a python interface, so you could write a little
> plugin that takes .ly code,  runs it through lily, and pasts back the
> resulting PDF files.
>
> That would actually be pretty neat...
>
> Sponsored feature, anyone?

This sounds interesting, although I'm not quite sure what you mean. Once
I've imported a pdf into Scribus your suggestion would allow me to edit
the .ly file and then have the plugin render the new pdf and replace it
with the old one? If that's possible I'm up for a share of the cost.

/Henrik

Re: Scribus - alternative to lilybook?

Han-Wen Nienhuys-2
Henrik Frisk wrote:

>>That would actually be pretty neat...
>>
>>Sponsored feature, anyone?
>>

> This sounds interesting, although I'm not quite sure what you mean. Once
> I've imported a pdf into Scribus your suggestion would allow me to edit
> the .ly file and then have the plugin render the new pdf and replace it
> with the old one?

Yes, but then the .ly would be editable from within Scribus, so you only
have to import a .ly , or enter it from scratch.

> If that's possible I'm up for a share of the cost.

That would be cool. It would be significant amount of work, since I'd
have to get familiar with Scribus and its plugin interface.  I'd guess
that this would be 1000 eur or 2000 eur, in order of magnitude.

LilyPond Software Design
  -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com

Re: Scribus - alternative to lilybook?

Henrik Frisk-3
Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Henrik Frisk wrote:
> >>
> >>That would actually be pretty neat...
> >>
> >>Sponsored feature, anyone?
> >>
> > This sounds interesting, although I'm not quite sure what you
> > mean. Once
> > I've imported a pdf into Scribus your suggestion would allow me to edit
> > the .ly file and then have the plugin render the new pdf and replace it
> > with the old one?
>
> Yes, but then the .ly would be editable from within Scribus, so you
> only have to import a .ly , or enter it from scratch.
>
> > If that's possible I'm up for a share of the cost.
>
> That would be cool. It would be significant amount of work, since I'd
> have to get familiar with Scribus and its plugin interface.  I'd guess
> that this would be 1000 eur or 2000 eur, in order of magnitude.

Let's see if we can create an interest in this. I think this would be a
valuable addition to LilyPond. Anybody willing to co-sponsor?

/henrik

Re: Scribus - alternative to lilybook?

Stephen Corey
Henrik Frisk wrote:

>Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>This sounds interesting, although I'm not quite sure what you
>>>mean. Once
>>>I've imported a pdf into Scribus your suggestion would allow me to edit
>>>the .ly file and then have the plugin render the new pdf and replace it
>>>with the old one?
>>>

>>Yes, but then the .ly would be editable from within Scribus, so you
>>only have to import a .ly , or enter it from scratch.
>>

>>>If that's possible I'm up for a share of the cost.
>>>

>>That would be cool. It would be significant amount of work, since I'd
>>have to get familiar with Scribus and its plugin interface.  I'd guess
>>that this would be 1000 eur or 2000 eur, in order of magnitude.
>>

>Let's see if we can create an interest in this. I think this would be a
>valuable addition to LilyPond. Anybody willing to co-sponsor?
>
>/henrik

Hello, this is my newbie post.  I've been using Lilypond with jEdit for
about 2 months now for arranging instrumental parts.  The only challenge
has been learning some of the syntax but I can't complain.  You have
done a wonderful job with this software.  I'd be interested in helping
to support getting this Scribus feature up and running.  Also, are there
any user groups in the Eastern U.S. or parties interested in perhaps a
workshop?

Stephen Corey
Richmond, Virginia, USA

On Thursday 03 November 2005 11:16 am, Stephen Corey wrote:

> Henrik Frisk wrote:
> >Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >>Yes, but then the .ly would be editable from within Scribus, so you
> >>only have to import a .ly , or enter it from scratch.

> >>That would be cool. It would be significant amount of work, since I'd
> >>have to get familiar with Scribus and its plugin interface.  I'd guess
> >>that this would be 1000 eur or 2000 eur, in order of magnitude.
> >
> >Let's see if we can create an interest in this. I think this would be a
> >valuable addition to LilyPond. Anybody willing to co-sponsor?
> >
> >/henrik
>
> Hello, this is my newbie post.  I've been using Lilypond with jEdit for
> about 2 months now for arranging instrumental parts.  The only challenge
> has been learning some of the syntax but I can't complain.  You have
> done a wonderful job with this software.  I'd be interested in helping
> to support getting this Scribus feature up and running.  Also, are there
> any user groups in the Eastern U.S. or parties interested in perhaps a
> workshop?
>
> Stephen Corey
> Richmond, Virginia, USA

I'm not sure I understand what it is you want to do with this plugin.  If it
is just a matter of updating the pdf once you have edited the .ly file,
Scribus has a feature where you can select your pdf image and there is an
Update feature.  I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect you could just do your
editing, create your pdf, go over to Scribus and Update your image.

Arthur

Re: Scribus - alternative to lilybook?

Marc Weber
> >Let's see if we can create an interest in this. I think this would be a
> >valuable addition to LilyPond. Anybody willing to co-sponsor?

Why not ask the Scribus developpers wether they are interested...
It would be a feature no other DTP-software has... ;-)

Marc

Arthur Dyck wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand what it is you want to do with this plugin.  If it
> is just a matter of updating the pdf once you have edited the .ly file,
> Scribus has a feature where you can select your pdf image and there is an
> Update feature.  I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect you could just do your
> editing, create your pdf, go over to Scribus and Update your image.

Yes, but you have to work with multiple files, and multiple
applications. That gets tiresome and errorprone if you have many (over
40) fragments.

On Thursday 03 November 2005 02:35 pm, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Arthur Dyck wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand what it is you want to do with this plugin.  If
> > it is just a matter of updating the pdf once you have edited the .ly
> > file, Scribus has a feature where you can select your pdf image and there
> > is an Update feature.  I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect you could
> > just do your editing, create your pdf, go over to Scribus and Update your
> > image.
>
> Yes, but you have to work with multiple files, and multiple
> applications. That gets tiresome and errorprone if you have many (over
> 40) fragments.

Maybe I'm living in blissful ignorance of the problems that are ahead of me.
The project I'm working on will have well over a hundred fragments.

Arthur