Scheme and Guile as it relates to Lilypond

Scheme and Guile as it relates to Lilypond

Jim Showalter-3
In my endeavors to learn Scheme I have noticed a number of function calls in Lilypond which are not covered in non-Guile documentation.  One example is define-public but there are others (the later appears to be a convenience notation for a "regular" Scheme construct).  I am assuming that these are created from other Scheme scripts.  I know in Perl that one can have non-existent functions auto-loaded during run time and then parsed and inserted into the symbol table for later use.  Is that what Guile is doing?

Bottom line:  Does it matter which Scheme interpreter and/or documentation I choose.  Any recommendations outside of Guile? (I am having trouble getting it to work on Windows).

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Scheme and Guile as it relates to Lilypond

Hans Åberg-2
On 6 Aug 2010, at 22:11, [hidden email] wrote:

> Does it matter which Scheme interpreter and/or documentation I choose.

Guile adds its own stuff besides Scheme; see its manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/

More info on
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html

> Any recommendations outside of Guile? (I am having trouble getting
> it to work on Windows).

It has a link to <http://schemers.org/>; haven't checked it. There is
an old classic, which now seems available on the net:
   http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
   http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.98.7506&rep=rep1&type=pdf