Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi List,

is there any other available format for rehearsal marks? My client wants Roman numerals, and the workaround I've been using:

<>^\markup { \raise #4 \right-align \abs-fontsize #16 \bold { "IV" } }

doesn't work if the voice containing it is resting at that point (or, conversely, I don't know how to ensure that the \markup is always placed on the topmost stave of a system and no others).

Is there a better way to do this? MWE:

\version "2.19.80"

\relative c'' {

  a1

  | %2
  <>^\markup { \right-align \abs-fontsize #16 \bold { "IV" } }

  | %3

Re: Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

SoundsFromSound
On 10/24/2018 9:40 AM, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
Hi List,

is there any other available format for rehearsal marks? My client wants Roman numerals, and the workaround I've been using:

<>^\markup { \raise #4 \right-align \abs-fontsize #16 \bold { "IV" } }

doesn't work if the voice containing it is resting at that point (or, conversely, I don't know how to ensure that the \markup is always placed on the topmost stave of a system and no others).

Is there a better way to do this? MWE:

\version "2.19.80"

\relative c'' {

  a1

  | %2
  <>^\markup { \right-align \abs-fontsize #16 \bold { "IV" } }

  | %3

Hello,

I haven't used this code in a while, but I believe this should get you started in the right direction. I saved it off the list a while back...

\version "2.19.82"

\relative c' {
  \set Score.markFormatter = #(lambda (mark context) (fancy-format #f [hidden email]
mark))

  \mark \default
  a b c d

  \mark \default
  a b c d

composer | sound designer | asmr artist

Re: Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Hi Andrew,

You could try :
{
  \mark \markup \box "IV"
  c'4
}
HTH
Le mer. 24 oct. 2018 à 09:41, N. Andrew Walsh
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi List,
>
> is there any other available format for rehearsal marks? My client wants Roman numerals, and the workaround I've been using:
>
> <>^\markup { \raise #4 \right-align \abs-fontsize #16 \bold { "IV" } }
>
> doesn't work if the voice containing it is resting at that point (or, conversely, I don't know how to ensure that the \markup is always placed on the topmost stave of a system and no others).
>
> Is there a better way to do this? MWE:
>
> \version "2.19.80"
>
> \relative c'' {
>
>   a1
>
>   | %2
>   <>^\markup { \right-align \abs-fontsize #16 \bold { "IV" } }
>
>   | %3

> Cheers,

Pierre-Luc Gauthier

Not sure why my code got messed up in my previous email but here's a snapshot showing the "@" correctly, sorry about that. Must have thought I was sending an email address...

code.png (25K) Download Attachment
composer | sound designer | asmr artist

Re: Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

David Nalesnik
On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 8:41 AM N. Andrew Walsh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> is there any other available format for rehearsal marks? My client wants Roman numerals, and the workaround I've been using:
>
> <>^\markup { \raise #4 \right-align \abs-fontsize #16 \bold { "IV" } }
>
> doesn't work if the voice containing it is resting at that point (or, conversely, I don't know how to ensure that the \markup is always placed on the topmost stave of a system and no others).
>
> Is there a better way to do this? MWE:

Based on my reading of scm/translation.functions.scm, I have no idea
why the following should not work:

\version "2.19.82"

\relative c'' {
  \set Score.markFormatter = #(format-mark-generic '(roman box bold mixedcase))
  c1 \mark \default
  c1 \mark \default
}

-David

[hidden email] wrote:
Hi List,

is there any other available format for rehearsal marks? My client wants Roman numerals, and the workaround I've been using:

<>^\markup { \raise #4 \right-align \abs-fontsize #16 \bold { "IV" } }

doesn't work if the voice containing it is resting at that point (or, conversely, I don't know how to ensure that the \markup is always placed on the topmost stave of a system and no others).

Is there a better way to do this? MWE:

Based on my reading of scm/translation.functions.scm, I have no idea
why the following should not work:

\version "2.19.82"

\relative c'' {
  \set Score.markFormatter = #(format-mark-generic '(roman box bold mixedcase))
  c1 \mark \default
  c1 \mark \default
}

-David

_

Hi David,

When I tried your code it just gave me an error:

\set Score.markFormatter = #

(format-mark-generic '(roman box bold mixedcase))

Interpreting music...

warning: type check for `markFormatter' failed; value `#<unspecified>' must be of type `procedure'

composer | sound designer | asmr artist

Re: Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

SoundsFromSound
On 10/24/2018 9:40 AM, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
Hi List,

is there any other available format for rehearsal marks? My client wants Roman numerals, and the workaround I've been using:

<>^\markup { \raise #4 \right-align \abs-fontsize #16 \bold { "IV" } }

doesn't work if the voice containing it is resting at that point (or, conversely, I don't know how to ensure that the \markup is always placed on the topmost stave of a system and no others).

Is there a better way to do this? MWE:

\version "2.19.80"

\relative c'' {

  a1

  | %2
  <>^\markup { \right-align \abs-fontsize #16 \bold { "IV" } }

  | %3

This should be what you need (see attached)

roman nums.png (41K) Download Attachment
composer | sound designer | asmr artist

Re: Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

Thomas Morley-2
Am Mi., 24. Okt. 2018 um 16:59 Uhr schrieb Ben <[hidden email]>:

> On 10/24/2018 10:39 AM, David Nalesnik wrote:

> Based on my reading of scm/translation.functions.scm, I have no idea
> why the following should not work:
>
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> \relative c'' {
>   \set Score.markFormatter = #(format-mark-generic '(roman box bold mixedcase))
>   c1 \mark \default
>   c1 \mark \default
> }
>
> -David
>
> _
>

> Hi David,
>
> When I tried your code it just gave me an error:
>
> \set Score.markFormatter = #
>
> (format-mark-generic '(roman box bold mixedcase))
>

> Interpreting music...
>
> warning: type check for `markFormatter' failed; value `#<unspecified>' must be of type `procedure'

'format-mark-generic' was implemented with

commit 16a3f70519f8f788666620acccd390f946362bcd
Author: Malte Meyn <[hidden email]>
Date:   Thu Dec 28 18:25:07 2017 +0100

    Issue 5249/1: add a generic markFormatter function

Which is 2.21.0, probably the upcoming 2.20.0 as well, didn't check.

Cheers,
  Harm

Am Mi., 24. Okt. 2018 um 17:02 Uhr schrieb Ben <[hidden email]>:

> This should be what you need (see attached)

We do have 'number-format', so one could do:

#(define-public (format-roman-mark-numbers mark context)
  (make-bold-markup (number-format 'roman-upper mark)))

#(define-public (format-boxed-roman-mark-numbers mark context)
  (make-bold-markup (make-box-markup (number-format 'roman-upper mark))))

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    markFormatter =
      %#format-roman-mark-numbers
      #format-boxed-roman-mark-numbers
    %% 2.21.0
    %markFormatter = #(format-mark-generic '(roman box bold mixedcase))
    \mark \default
    R1
    \mark \default
    R1

  Harm

Re: Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi Thomas, Ben

for some reason, neither of your codes seem to work: I always get arabic numerals in a box if I use \mark \default. I think something is overriding that setting elsewhere in my config files; I'll try to track it down. The MWE Ben sent works just as I want it to on its own, but not in the main document. I'll have to do some digging.

Thanks!

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:10 PM Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Mi., 24. Okt. 2018 um 17:02 Uhr schrieb Ben <[hidden email]>:

> This should be what you need (see attached)

We do have 'number-format', so one could do:

#(define-public (format-roman-mark-numbers mark context)
  (make-bold-markup (number-format 'roman-upper mark)))

#(define-public (format-boxed-roman-mark-numbers mark context)
  (make-bold-markup (make-box-markup (number-format 'roman-upper mark))))

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    markFormatter =
      %#format-roman-mark-numbers
      #format-boxed-roman-mark-numbers
    %% 2.21.0
    %markFormatter = #(format-mark-generic '(roman box bold mixedcase))
    \mark \default
    R1
    \mark \default
    R1

  Harm

Re: Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

N. Andrew Walsh
PS- update: I figured out the problem, so now it's resolved (and in the process dropped an \include that was loading a whole bunch of libraries I turned out not to need, saving on compile time as well).

Thanks again!

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 6:39 PM N. Andrew Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Thomas, Ben

for some reason, neither of your codes seem to work: I always get arabic numerals in a box if I use \mark \default. I think something is overriding that setting elsewhere in my config files; I'll try to track it down. The MWE Ben sent works just as I want it to on its own, but not in the main document. I'll have to do some digging.

Thanks!

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:10 PM Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Mi., 24. Okt. 2018 um 17:02 Uhr schrieb Ben <[hidden email]>:

> This should be what you need (see attached)

We do have 'number-format', so one could do:

#(define-public (format-roman-mark-numbers mark context)
  (make-bold-markup (number-format 'roman-upper mark)))

#(define-public (format-boxed-roman-mark-numbers mark context)
  (make-bold-markup (make-box-markup (number-format 'roman-upper mark))))

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    markFormatter =
      %#format-roman-mark-numbers
      #format-boxed-roman-mark-numbers
    %% 2.21.0
    %markFormatter = #(format-mark-generic '(roman box bold mixedcase))
    \mark \default
    R1
    \mark \default
    R1

  Harm

Re: Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi List,

also on this issue (I still have Roman numerals, which works fine for me): is there a way to format the size/weight of the "\mark \default" character? Mine aren't much larger than regular text markups, and I'd like to have some control over the presentation.

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 6:48 PM N. Andrew Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
PS- update: I figured out the problem, so now it's resolved (and in the process dropped an \include that was loading a whole bunch of libraries I turned out not to need, saving on compile time as well).

Thanks again!

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 6:39 PM N. Andrew Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Thomas, Ben

for some reason, neither of your codes seem to work: I always get arabic numerals in a box if I use \mark \default. I think something is overriding that setting elsewhere in my config files; I'll try to track it down. The MWE Ben sent works just as I want it to on its own, but not in the main document. I'll have to do some digging.

Thanks!

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:10 PM Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Mi., 24. Okt. 2018 um 17:02 Uhr schrieb Ben <[hidden email]>:

> This should be what you need (see attached)

We do have 'number-format', so one could do:

#(define-public (format-roman-mark-numbers mark context)
  (make-bold-markup (number-format 'roman-upper mark)))

#(define-public (format-boxed-roman-mark-numbers mark context)
  (make-bold-markup (make-box-markup (number-format 'roman-upper mark))))

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    markFormatter =
      %#format-roman-mark-numbers
      #format-boxed-roman-mark-numbers
    %% 2.21.0
    %markFormatter = #(format-mark-generic '(roman box bold mixedcase))
    \mark \default
    R1
    \mark \default
    R1

  Harm

Re: Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

Aaron Hill
On 2019-03-06 2:37 am, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> also on this issue (I still have Roman numerals, which works fine for
> me):
> is there a way to format the size/weight of the "\mark \default"
> character?
> Mine aren't much larger than regular text markups, and I'd like to have
> some control over the presentation.

\mark produces RehearsalMark grobs.  These are usually at the \Score
level, so you can either \override where you use \mark, or you can do it
within \layout:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
\layout { \context \Score {
   \override RehearsalMark.font-size = #6 % Default is #2
} }
{ \mark "Lorem" b'4 4 4 4
   \once \override Score.RehearsalMark.font-size = #9
   \mark "Ipsum" b'2 2 }
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill

On 2019-03-06 2:48 am, Aaron Hill wrote:

> On 2019-03-06 2:37 am, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> also on this issue (I still have Roman numerals, which works fine for
>> me):
>> is there a way to format the size/weight of the "\mark \default"
>> character?
>> Mine aren't much larger than regular text markups, and I'd like to
>> have
>> some control over the presentation.
>
> \mark produces RehearsalMark grobs.  These are usually at the \Score
> level, so you can either \override where you use \mark, or you can do
> it within \layout:
>
> %%%%
> \version "2.19.82"
> \layout { \context { \Score
>   \override RehearsalMark.font-size = #6 % Default is #2
> } }
> { \mark "Lorem" b'4 4 4 4
>   \once \override Score.RehearsalMark.font-size = #9
>   \mark "Ipsum" b'2 2 }
> %%%%

Sorry, was typing too quickly and got a curly brace in the wrong spot.
Fixed inline above.

-- Aaron Hill

Re: Roman Numeral rehearsal marks?

N. Andrew Walsh
Hi Aaron

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:51 AM Aaron Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> \mark produces RehearsalMark grobs.  These are usually at the \Score
> level, so you can either \override where you use \mark, or you can do
> it within \layout:
>
> %%%%
> \version "2.19.82"
> \layout { \context { \Score
>   \override RehearsalMark.font-size = #6 % Default is #2
> }

thanks for the tip! That's exactly what I was looking for!