Right way to make a function for a set of articulations on a note

Right way to make a function for a set of articulations on a note

Andrew Bernard
I often need use a tenuoto with a parenthesised accent, but I only just figured out how to achieve that. Now ti would be convenient have a function of some sort as a shorthand.

Is this the right way to do it that I came up with? I feel a bit uncomfortable about the <>, and maybe this should be some sort of post event, like articulations themselves?

%======
\version "2.19.82"

artic = { <> ^- -\parenthesize ^> }

  \artic c'' d'' \artic e''
}

%======

Andrew

Re: Right way to make a function for a set of articulations on a note

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Andrew,

> I often need use a tenuoto with a parenthesised accent, but I only just figured out how to achieve that. Now ti would be convenient have a function of some sort as a shorthand.
>
> Is this the right way to do it that I came up with? I feel a bit uncomfortable about the <>, and maybe this should be some sort of post event, like articulations themselves?

Yes. Maybe something like this?

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
tenu =
  -\tweak stencil #ly:text-interface::print
  -\tweak text
      \markup
        \override #'(baseline-skip . 1.375)
        \center-column {
          \parenthesize \musicglyph #"scripts.sforzato"
          \fontsize #1.1 \musicglyph #"scripts.tenuto"
        }
  -\tenuto

{
  c'' d''-\tenu e''
}
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

Adjust parameters, spacing, etc., as you see fit.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Re: Right way to make a function for a set of articulations on a note

Thomas Morley-2
Am Mi., 16. Jan. 2019 um 03:37 Uhr schrieb Andrew Bernard
<[hidden email]>:

> I often need use a tenuoto with a parenthesised accent, but I only just figured out how to achieve that. Now ti would be convenient have a function of some sort as a shorthand.
>
> Is this the right way to do it that I came up with? I feel a bit uncomfortable about the <>, and maybe this should be some sort of post event, like articulations themselves?
>
> %======
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> artic = { <> ^- -\parenthesize ^> }
> {
>   \artic c'' d'' \artic e''
> }
>
> %======
>

> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

why not:

artic = ^--\parenthesize ^>
{
   c''\artic d'' e''\artic

  Harm

Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> writes:

> I often need use a tenuoto with a parenthesised accent, but I only just
> figured out how to achieve that. Now ti would be convenient have a function
> of some sort as a shorthand.
>
> Is this the right way to do it that I came up with? I feel a bit
> uncomfortable about the <>, and maybe this should be some sort of post
> event, like articulations themselves?
>
> %======
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> artic = { <> ^- -\parenthesize ^> }
> {
>   \artic c'' d'' \artic e''
> }
>
> %======

That's basically a big heap of rubbish.  You were right to feel
uncomfortable with that.  Try

\version "2.19.82"

artic = -- -\parenthesize ->

{
   c''\artic d''  e''\artic
}

instead.

Re: Right way to make a function for a set of articulations on a note

Andrew Bernard
Hi All,

My miserable example stimulated the right answer. The power of the MWE!

Big thanks to all. Most appreciated.

Andrew