Resources For Learning Scheme?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Resources For Learning Scheme?

melophobic
Can anyone point me to a good resource or two for learning scheme? I have
looked through the examples on Lilypond.org and a few on lilypondblog.org,
but I am looking for more in depth examples of things like if statements and
more complex use of variables.

Should I just look up books on Guile?

Thank you,

Brian



--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resources For Learning Scheme?

Schneidy

Le sam. 16 mai 2020 à 05:00, melophobic <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Can anyone point me to a good resource or two for learning scheme? I have
looked through the examples on Lilypond.org and a few on lilypondblog.org,
but I am looking for more in depth examples of things like if statements and
more complex use of variables.

Should I just look up books on Guile?

Thank you,

Brian



--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resources For Learning Scheme?

Jacques Peron
In reply to this post by melophobic
This one, by Urs Liska, is specifically about scheme with LilyPond :

Le sam. 16 mai 2020 à 05:00, melophobic <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Can anyone point me to a good resource or two for learning scheme? I have
looked through the examples on Lilypond.org and a few on lilypondblog.org,
but I am looking for more in depth examples of things like if statements and
more complex use of variables.

Should I just look up books on Guile?

Thank you,

Brian



--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resources For Learning Scheme?

Graham King-4
This series of presentations by Andy Balaam was helpful to me:



On 16 May 2020, at 07:08, Jacques Peron <[hidden email]> wrote:

This one, by Urs Liska, is specifically about scheme with LilyPond :

Le sam. 16 mai 2020 à 05:00, melophobic <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Can anyone point me to a good resource or two for learning scheme? I have
looked through the examples on Lilypond.org and a few on lilypondblog.org,
but I am looking for more in depth examples of things like if statements and
more complex use of variables.

Should I just look up books on Guile?

Thank you,

Brian



--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resources For Learning Scheme?

Jamie Beardslee
In reply to this post by melophobic
The Guile reference manual [1] contains a good introduction to the
language in general as well as some more in-depth information for
working with guile specifically.

One of the most useful resources for me in grasping the important
concepts of scheme was SICP, which is available in text online [2] and
as a series of lectures [3].

These are quite general-purpose and not related to lilypond, but if you
want to learn scheme they should be useful.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html
[2] https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/index.html
[3] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE18841CABEA24090

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resources For Learning Scheme?

Freeman Gilmore
On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 7:34 AM Jamie Beardslee
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> The Guile reference manual [1] contains a good introduction to the
> language in general as well as some more in-depth information for
> working with guile specifically.
>
> One of the most useful resources for me in grasping the important
> concepts of scheme was SICP, which is available in text online [2] and
> as a series of lectures [3].
>
> These are quite general-purpose and not related to lilypond, but if you
> want to learn scheme they should be useful.
>
> [1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html
> [2] https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/index.html
https://doc.lagout.org/programmation/Lisp/Scheme/SICP.pdf
> [3] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE18841CABEA24090
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resources For Learning Scheme?

Caio Barros
In reply to this post by Jacques Peron


Em sáb., 16 de mai. de 2020 às 03:08, Jacques Peron <[hidden email]> escreveu:
This one, by Urs Liska, is specifically about scheme with LilyPond :

I wasn't aware Urs wrote this book. This is very nice! 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resources For Learning Scheme?

Valentin Villenave-3
On 5/16/20, Caio Barros <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wasn't aware Urs wrote this book. This is very nice!

I agree.

Obviously one of the first places to check out is our in-house manual
(sadly still unfinished):
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/extending/

Cheers,
-- V.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resources For Learning Scheme?

Thomas Morley-2
Am So., 17. Mai 2020 um 00:27 Uhr schrieb Valentin Villenave
<[hidden email]>:

>
> On 5/16/20, Caio Barros <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I wasn't aware Urs wrote this book. This is very nice!
>
> I agree.
>
> Obviously one of the first places to check out is our in-house manual
> (sadly still unfinished):
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/extending/
>
> Cheers,
> -- V.
>

I'd like to second that.
The stuff in Extending Manual, once mastered, empowers to do most of
low and middle complex lilypond-guile codings.
One can do a lot with those admittedly basic scheme-tools and the
there demonstrated usage for lilypond.

For complicated stuff deeper knowledge of scheme may be required, this
holds even more for knowledge of lilypond-internals, which is often
underdocumented.


Cheers,
  Harm

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resources For Learning Scheme?

Urs Liska-3
In reply to this post by Caio Barros
Am Samstag, den 16.05.2020, 17:24 -0300 schrieb Caio Barros:


Em sáb., 16 de mai. de 2020 às 03:08, Jacques Peron <[hidden email]> escreveu:
This one, by Urs Liska, is specifically about scheme with LilyPond :


I wasn't aware Urs wrote this book. This is very nice! 

Well, the use of grammatical time is misleading. Instead of "wrote" this should read "has at one point started working on this WIP resource but had to move on to other tasks before nearing anything like completion" ;-)

Urs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resources For Learning Scheme?

melophobic
Thank you to everyone in the thread for sending me down a very informative
rabbit hole. I've spent the last week or so learning, and came up with
version one of what I have been looking to accomplish.

Thank you again. I have never seen such a helpful and informative mailing
list before.

Brian



--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html