Replys

Bugzilla from tvalusek@seznam.cz
Hello,

I've several times pressed ctrl+r to reply to LilyPond maillist message,
but since I forget to check recipients, they never get to maillist
again, only to sender of a mail I'm replying to. Would it be possible to
omit "reply-to" field in messages coming from lilypond mailing lists?

Tomas Valusek

Re: Replys

Nicolas Sceaux
Tomas Valusek <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've several times pressed ctrl+r to reply to LilyPond maillist
> message, but since I forget to check recipients, they never get to
> maillist again, only to sender of a mail I'm replying to. Would it be
> possible to omit "reply-to" field in messages coming from lilypond
> mailing lists?

Strange request... you don't know how to use your mail reader agent, and
thus ask people to fix the Mailling List settings... Wouldn't be more
logical to fix your using of your MUA?

When I hit ctrl-r in my MUA, no mail goes to the mailing list, but a
backward search begins. Go figure.

nicolas

Re: Replys

andrea valle
Obviously Tomas is not asking about his keyboard bindings.  He means
that when he uses normal  reply function he replies to the list member
and not to the list. Well, I don't like it very much too as I want to
keep the thread on the list and not to reply in some sense "privately".
This mail is an example: why should I reply to you directly with the
list on CC? I don't know if it's a question of setting my mail reader
but  it is is not what typically happens in all the other mailing list
I'm subscribed to.
Oh well, I agree, it's not that dramatic, only a bit boring.

-a-

On 15 Apr 2006, at 17:19, Nicolas Sceaux wrote:

> Tomas Valusek <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've several times pressed ctrl+r to reply to LilyPond maillist
>> message, but since I forget to check recipients, they never get to
>> maillist again, only to sender of a mail I'm replying to. Would it be
>> possible to omit "reply-to" field in messages coming from lilypond
>> mailing lists?
>
> Strange request... you don't know how to use your mail reader agent,
> and
> thus ask people to fix the Mailling List settings... Wouldn't be more
> logical to fix your using of your MUA?
>
> When I hit ctrl-r in my MUA, no mail goes to the mailing list, but a
> backward search begins. Go figure.
>
> nicolas

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino
http://www.semiotiche.it/andrea

Re: Replys

David Feuer-2
On 4/15/06, andrea valle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Obviously Tomas is not asking about his keyboard bindings.  He means
> that when he uses normal  reply function he replies to the list member
> and not to the list. Well, I don't like it very much too as I want to
> keep the thread on the list and not to reply in some sense "privately".

Good email clients support "reply-to-list".  Making reply-to go to the
list is considered broken behavior by people who know more about these
things than I do.

David

Re: Replys

Nicolas Sceaux
andrea valle <[hidden email]> writes:

> Obviously Tomas is not asking about his keyboard bindings.  He means
> that when he uses normal  reply function he replies to the list member
> and not to the list. Well, I don't like it very much too as I want to
> keep the thread on the list and not to reply in some sense
> "privately". This mail is an example: why should I reply to you
> directly with the list on CC? I don't know if it's a question of
> setting my mail reader but  it is is not what typically happens in all
> the other mailing list I'm subscribed to.
> Oh well, I agree, it's not that dramatic, only a bit boring.

hm, how to say that, my answer was not about keyboard bindings either.
My point was about user behaviour problem.

BTW, it's useful to reply to all senders and recipients, because a) you
MUA may highlight a message that is addressed to you namely, which is
nice in a high traffic ML, b) when the mailing list is slow, you get the
answer faster.

Re: Replys

Bugzilla from tvalusek@seznam.cz
Hello,

Thunderbird doesn't include a "Reply to list" command, and since all the
messages having in "TO:" or "Cc:" fields a string "lilypond" are
automatically put into appropriate folder, it would be nice if lilypond
lists followed the practice of other mailing lists, where "Reply"
replies to the list and "Reply to all" includes also an author of
original message. I'm tired of constant checking if my reply really goes
to lilypond list, and since all other lists follow the practice
mentioned above, there's no reason for me to change my habits.

But I like LilyPond much and I'd like to use it, so I'd like to monitor
its mailing lists regularly, but the reply behavior of this list sucks.

Tomas Valusek

Re: Replys

David Feuer-2
On 4/15/06, Tomas Valusek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> original message. I'm tired of constant checking if my reply really goes
> to lilypond list, and since all other lists follow the practice
> mentioned above, there's no reason for me to change my habits.

Most other lists I've been on follow the same practice as the LilyPond ones.

David

Re: Replys

Gilles Sadowski
Hello.

> Thunderbird doesn't include a "Reply to list" command,

Then, you could file a bug ("wishlist") report, requesting
the feature.

> to lilypond list, and since all other lists follow the practice
> mentioned above, there's no reason for me to change my habits.

It depends.  If the lilypond ML settings are the right way to do
it, then you should.

> But I like LilyPond much and I'd like to use it, so I'd like to monitor
> its mailing lists regularly, but the reply behavior of this list sucks.

"All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less." (http://www.mutt.org/)

By default, "mutt" provides key bindings that do the right thing.
E.g. when viewing your post, I get the following behaviour:

  Key               ->   Address

   r (reply)        ->  To: Tomas Valusek <[hidden email]>
   g (group reply)  ->  To: Tomas Valusek <[hidden email]>
   L (list reply)   ->  To: [hidden email]

Isn't that nice?  :-)

[Note that the group reply does *not* include the ML as one of the
recipients!]

Best,
Gilles

Re: Replys

Bugzilla from tvalusek@seznam.cz
Hello,

so nothing's going to change? Than you're going to lose a good deal of
ordinary Windows users, since neither Otlook, Outlook Express nor
Thunderbird contain "Reply to list" option ...

Tom V.

Gilles Sadowski napsal(a):

> Hello.
>
>> Thunderbird doesn't include a "Reply to list" command,
>
> Then, you could file a bug ("wishlist") report, requesting
> the feature.
>
>> to lilypond list, and since all other lists follow the practice
>> mentioned above, there's no reason for me to change my habits.
>>

> It depends.  If the lilypond ML settings are the right way to do
> it, then you should.
>
>> But I like LilyPond much and I'd like to use it, so I'd like to monitor
>> its mailing lists regularly, but the reply behavior of this list sucks.
>>

> "All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less." (http://www.mutt.org/)
>
> By default, "mutt" provides key bindings that do the right thing.
> E.g. when viewing your post, I get the following behaviour:
>
>   Key               ->   Address
>
>    r (reply)        ->  To: Tomas Valusek <[hidden email]>
>    g (group reply)  ->  To: Tomas Valusek <[hidden email]>
>    L (list reply)   ->  To: [hidden email]
>

> Isn't that nice?  :-)
>
> [Note that the group reply does *not* include the ML as one of the
> recipients!]
>
> Best,
> Gilles

Re: Replys

David R. Linn
>> From: Tomas Valusek <[hidden email]>

>> so nothing's going to change? Than you're going to lose a good deal of
>> ordinary Windows users, since neither Otlook, Outlook Express nor
>> Thunderbird contain "Reply to list" option ...

Sorry, I'm a member of the "Reply-To Considered Harmful" camp so I'm not
inclined to make your requested change.  Perhaps the "Reply All" button
or "ctrl-shift-r" will meet your needs.

Re: Replys

Paul Scott-3
David Feuer wrote:

> On 4/15/06, Tomas Valusek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> original message. I'm tired of constant checking if my reply really goes
>> to lilypond list, and since all other lists follow the practice
>> mentioned above, there's no reason for me to change my habits.
>>

> Most other lists I've been on follow the same practice as the LilyPond ones.

All other lists I'm on don't.

Paul Scott

Re: Replys

Paul Scott-3
Tomas Valusek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thunderbird doesn't include a "Reply to list" command, and since all
> the messages having in "TO:" or "Cc:" fields a string "lilypond" are
> automatically put into appropriate folder, it would be nice if
> lilypond lists followed the practice of other mailing lists, where
> "Reply" replies to the list and "Reply to all" includes also an author
> of original message. I'm tired of constant checking if my reply really
> goes to lilypond list, and since all other lists follow the practice
> mentioned above, there's no reason for me to change my habits.
>
> But I like LilyPond much and I'd like to use it, so I'd like to
> monitor its mailing lists regularly, but the reply behavior of this
> list sucks.
I use Thunderbird and have no problem doing "Reply To All" or
ctrl-shift-R (I even go one step further if I know the recipient is
subscribed and remove them from the recipients list.)

I believe the "Reply to List" feature now exists for Thunderbird and
will be available when some other problems are fixed.

Paul Scott