Removing Piano Staff Temporarily Under Flute Part

Removing Piano Staff Temporarily Under Flute Part

Craig Bakalian-2
Hi,
        I am typesetting a Sonata for Flute and Piano.  There is a section in
the music where the flute part goes into a cadenza with no piano
accompaniment.  I want Lily to stop printing the empty piano part for 24
bars, and format the flute part on about a half a page, and then resume
the printing of piano staff there after.
        Am I clear?  I don't know what a typesetter would call this to even
look this up in the manual.  How about this-

fluteStaff =
{
% a lot of flute music for 224 bars
}

pianoTopStaff =
{
% a lot of piano music for 100 bars

R1 * 24  <- this needs to not be printed

% more piano music for 100 bars
}

pianoBottomStaff =
{
% a lot of piano music for 100 bars

R1 * 24  <- this needs to not be printed

% more piano music for 100 bars
}

Craig Bakalian
560 Keswick Drive
Yardley, PA 19067
215-428-0856

Re: Removing Piano Staff Temporarily Under Flute Part

James Bailey-4

On 03.07.2009, at 11:38, craigbakalian wrote:

Hi,
I am typesetting a Sonata for Flute and Piano.  There is a section in
the music where the flute part goes into a cadenza with no piano
accompaniment.  I want Lily to stop printing the empty piano part for 24
bars, and format the flute part on about a half a page, and then resume
the printing of piano staff there after.

Hi. You'll want to look at the various options under 1.6.2 Staff symbol and Hiding staves.

James E. Bailey

Re: Removing Piano Staff Temporarily Under Flute Part

James Bailey-4

On 03.07.2009, at 11:38, craigbakalian wrote:

Hi,
I am typesetting a Sonata for Flute and Piano.  There is a section in
the music where the flute part goes into a cadenza with no piano
accompaniment.  I want Lily to stop printing the empty piano part for 24
bars, and format the flute part on about a half a page, and then resume
the printing of piano staff there after.

Hi. You'll want to look at the various options under 1.6.2 Staff symbol and Hiding staves.

Totally forgot.

This is in the Learning Manual of the current stable, 2.12 version.

James E. Bailey

Re: Removing Piano Staff Temporarily Under Flute Part

James Bailey-4

On 03.07.2009, at 21:19, craigbakalian wrote:

Hi James,
Where is it in the learning manual.  And, the sections in the notation
reference make the staves invisible.  This means that the flute part
isn't formated properly.  There is a gap between the flute staves where
the the piano part would have been printed.

Craig Bakalian

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 11:56 +0200, James E.Bailey wrote:

On 03.07.2009, at 11:38, craigbakalian wrote:

Hi,
I am typesetting a Sonata for Flute and Piano.  There is a section
in
the music where the flute part goes into a cadenza with no piano
accompaniment.  I want Lily to stop printing the empty piano part
for 24
bars, and format the flute part on about a half a page, and then
resume
the printing of piano staff there after.

Hi. You'll want to
look at the various options under 1.6.2 Staff symbol and Hiding staves.

Totally forgot.

This is in the Learning Manual of the current stable, 2.12 version.

James E. Bailey

Dangit, I meant to say Notation Reference instead of Learning Manual. Also, there are several options for hiding staves. You just have to play around (read) and find the one that works best for you.

Oh, and always be sure to hit "reply all" so that my being corrected can be posted to the entire list, and not just privately.

James E. Bailey

Re: Removing Piano Staff Temporarily Under Flute Part

Paul Scott-3
craigbakalian wrote:
> Hi,
> I am typesetting a Sonata for Flute and Piano.  There is a section in
> the music where the flute part goes into a cadenza with no piano
> accompaniment.  I want Lily to stop printing the empty piano part for 24
> bars, and format the flute part on about a half a page, and then resume
> the printing of piano staff there after.
> Am I clear?  I don't know what a typesetter would call this to even
> look this up in the manual.  How about this-

LilyPond calls it \RemoveEmptyStaffContext.  You can find it in the
index.  You will probably want \break before and after the cadenza.

Put this at the end of the \score block:

  \layout {
    \context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }

HTH,

Paul Scott

Re: Removing Piano Staff Temporarily Under Flute Part

Craig Bakalian-2
Hi Paul,

        Yes, I just got this figured out.  What is odd is that there is another
point in the piece where the piano part does a R1 * 2 but the piano
staff doesn't get removed because - I guess - the R1 * x doesn't span
the entire width of the page?  Can anyone out there explain how
\RemoveEmptyStaffContext works?

Craig Bakalian

On 04.07.2009, at 01:12, craigbakalian wrote:

Hi Paul,

Yes, I just got this figured out.  What is odd is that there is another
point in the piece where the piano part does a R1 * 2 but the piano
staff doesn't get removed because - I guess - the R1 * x doesn't span
the entire width of the page?  Can anyone out there explain how
\RemoveEmptyStaffContext works?

Craig Bakalian

Notation Reference 1.6.2: Hiding Staves:
Empty staves can be hidden by setting the \RemoveEmptyStaffContext command in the \layout block. In orchestral scores, this style is known as ‘Frenched Score’. By default, this command hides and removes all empty staves in a score except for those in the first system.

Note: A staff is considered empty when it contains only multi-measure rests, skips, spacer rests, or a combination of these elements.

James E. Bailey