Rehearsal mark below/between staves

ladelfa
Spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to do this, and failed. I'm going
to propose it as a feature request, unless someone goes "it already does that--
here's how."

The docs say (8.1.3) "\mark is only typeset above the top stave of the score." I
can think of a couple instances where this would be better off being adjustable:

1. Sometimes (typically in parts) text needs to attach to the rightmost barline
and be underneath the staff, i.e. the second example on doc page 8.1.3 -- I'd
like to have something like "D.S. as Fine" (say, "Minuetto da capo") go under
the staff, not over it.

2. Sometimes in an orchestral or band score it is helpful to the conductor to
see rehearsal letters in more than one place, e.g. top of the page, between the
winds and percussion, between the percussion and strings, and beneath the
strings. There ought to be a way to indicate (at score level?) by staff whether
to show the rehearsal letters above/beneath/both/not at all.

Dave LaDelfa

Re: Rehearsal mark below/between staves

Joe Neeman
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 07:32, Dave LaDelfa wrote:
> 1. Sometimes (typically in parts) text needs to attach to the rightmost
> barline and be underneath the staff, i.e. the second example on doc page
> 8.1.3 -- I'd like to have something like "D.S. as Fine" (say, "Minuetto da
> capo") go under the staff, not over it.
Just use
\override Score.RehearsalMark #'direction = #DOWN

> 2. Sometimes in an orchestral or band score it is helpful to the conductor
> to see rehearsal letters in more than one place, e.g. top of the page,
> between the winds and percussion, between the percussion and strings, and
> beneath the strings. There ought to be a way to indicate (at score level?)
> by staff whether to show the rehearsal letters above/beneath/both/not at
> all.
You can achieve this by moving the Mark_engraver from the Score context to the
Staff context. Note that this will require your marks to be present in all
staves or else each mark will only be printed in one staff.

Here is a complete example. Note that I am overriding Staff.RehearsalMark
instead of Score.RehearsalMark because I moved the Mark_engraver to the Staff
context. This is tested with 2.9 but should also work with 2.8 and later 2.7
versions.

\version "2.9.0"

\new Score \with {
  \remove "Mark_engraver"
    \new Staff \with { \consists "Mark_engraver" } {
      a b c d \mark "A" a b c d
    }
    \new Staff {
      d e f g d e f g
    }
    \new Staff \with { \consists "Mark_engraver" } {
      a b c d \mark "B" a b c d
      \override Staff.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #RIGHT
      \override Staff.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #all-visible
      \override Staff.RehearsalMark #'direction = #DOWN
      \mark "D.C. al fine"

Joe Neeman <neeman <at> webone.com.au> writes:
> Just use \override Score.RehearsalMark #'direction = #DOWN

That's awesome. Thanks, Joe. I suspected there was a simple solution. Probably
this would be a good addition to manual pages 8.1.3 and 8.2.3.