Re: white-dot / white-text

Carl Sorensen-4
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 12:10 +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > 2.5.27 on mingw doesn't process fret diagrams properly as released.  I
> > get an error in ghostcript, as shown here. (It looks like there's an
> > erroneous // in the font path).
>
> what happens if you change the // by hand in / ?

No difference -- I still get the same error, but / instead of //.
--
Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]>

Re: white-dot / white-text

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 15:47 +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>
>>Hi Carl,
>>
>>I'm cleaning up the backend, so we can easily get the same functionality
>>in SVG  as in PS. FOr this reason, I want to remove white_dot and
>>white_text from the routines. Can you change the fretdiagram code to use
>>ly:stencil-in-color (see CVS) and the circle drawing routine from
>>producing dots?
>>

> I think I've made the necessary changes to the scheme files, but I can't
> prove it.
>
> 2.5.27 on mingw doesn't process fret diagrams properly as released.  I
> get an error in ghostcript, as shown here. (It looks like there's an
> erroneous // in the font path).
>

> GSview 4.7 2005-03-26
> Unknown in Comments section at line 7:
>   %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font PFAEmmentaler-20
>
> Unknown in Comments section at line 8:
>   %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Verdana
>
> Displaying page 1
> Error: /invalidfileaccess in --file--
> Operand stack:
>    (C:/Program
> Files/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/2.5.26/fonts/type1//PFAemmentaler-20.pfa)   (r)

Are you viewing the file with your own Ghostscript/GSView combo?

If yes, note that you have to use the -dNOSAFER option for GhostScript
with these files. Otherwise, you should be able to use the PDF produced
by Lily with Acrobat reader or similar.

Re: white-dot / white-text

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>Are you viewing the file with your own Ghostscript/GSView combo?
>>
>>If yes, note that you have to use the -dNOSAFER option for GhostScript
>>with these files. Otherwise, you should be able to use the PDF produced
>>by Lily with Acrobat reader or similar.
>>

> I'm using the Windows installation of Ghostscript/GSView, which comes by
> default with a point and click, rather than command line, interface.
 >
> The PDF is not correct.  Notes and fret diagrams are missing.  I've
> attached a copy of both the ps and the pdf.
>
> Please note that these files were created from the file input/fret-
> diagram.ly using 2.5.27 as distributed.

I'm still confused: are the PDF files created by your own installed
Ghostscript, or with the GS bundled with LilyPond?

Re: white-dot / white-text

Carl Sorensen-4
On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 12:59 +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> I'm still confused: are the PDF files created by your own installed
> Ghostscript, or with the GS bundled with LilyPond?

I assume they're created with the GS bundled with LilyPond.  When I open
up a command prompt window, there is no gs available.

When the pdf file is created, there is an error log created as well.
The error log is as follows:

# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `C:/Documents and Settings/Compaq_Owner/Desktop/fret-
diagram.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [8][11]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks... [3][6][9]
Calculating page breaks...
Layout output to `fret-diagram.ps'...
Converting to `fret-diagram.pdf'...
`gs -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -
sDEVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#"fret-diagram.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f
"fret-diagram.ps"' failed (1)
However, a pdf file was created, which was not correctly rendered.

I then opened up a graphical GS window (from my Windows installation)
and got the error information I was reporting earlier.

BTW, I'm now running again on Fedora Core 3.  I get a very similar error
when I run lilypond on this system with input/test/fret-diagram.ly.

[carl@localhost lilypond]$ lilypond input/test/fret-diagram.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.5.27
Processing `input/test/fret-diagram.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [8][11]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks... [3][6][9]
Calculating page breaks...
Layout output to `fret-diagram.ps'...
Converting to `fret-diagram.pdf'...
`gs -dSAFER -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4  -sPAPERSIZE="a4" -q -dNOPAUSE -
dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile="fret-diagram.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite
-f "fret-diagram.ps"' failed (256)
error: failed files: "input/test/fret-diagram.ly"

I'm now going to try to identify which features of fret-diagram.ly are
causing trouble.

--
Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]>

Re: white-dot / white-text

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Carl Sorensen wrote:

> I then opened up a graphical GS window (from my Windows installation)
> and got the error information I was reporting earlier.
>
> BTW, I'm now running again on Fedora Core 3.  I get a very similar error
> when I run lilypond on this system with input/test/fret-diagram.ly.
>
> [carl@localhost lilypond]$ lilypond input/test/fret-diagram.ly
> GNU LilyPond 2.5.27
> Processing `input/test/fret-diagram.ly'
> Parsing...
> Interpreting music... [8][11]
> Preprocessing graphical objects...
> Calculating line breaks... [3][6][9]
> Calculating page breaks...
> Layout output to `fret-diagram.ps'...
> Converting to `fret-diagram.pdf'...
> `gs -dSAFER -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4  -sPAPERSIZE="a4" -q -dNOPAUSE -
> dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile="fret-diagram.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite
> -f "fret-diagram.ps"' failed (256)
> error: failed files: "input/test/fret-diagram.ly"
>

> I'm now going to try to identify which features of fret-diagram.ly are
> causing trouble.

I have a hunch. white-text is hardcoded to Helvetica-Bold, which
probably isn't available on this Windows build.

Jan, can you check if fret-diagram.ly also doesn't work for you?

Re: white-dot / white-text

Carl Sorensen-4
On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 18:19 +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Carl Sorensen wrote:
> >

> > I'm now going to try to identify which features of fret-diagram.ly are
> > causing trouble.
> >

> I have a hunch. white-text is hardcoded to Helvetica-Bold, which
> probably isn't available on this Windows build.
>
> Jan, can you check if fret-diagram.ly also doesn't work for you?

Further testing shows that the problem actually lies with the white-dot
function, even without the text.  So, since I'm working on eliminating
the white-dot fuction, it should fix things.

No need for Jan to check -- I'm on top of it now.

Carl