Re:v2.19.82 documentation unusable? (Aaron Hill)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re:v2.19.82 documentation unusable? (Aaron Hill)

Cynthia Karl
> On Nov 24, 2018, at 9:51 AM,Aaron Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 10:34:39 -0800
> From: Aaron Hill <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: v2.19.82 documentation unusable?
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>
> On 2018-11-23 7:30 am, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Patrick Karl <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> I thank everyone for the replies.  I?ll just wait till it?s fixed.
>>>
>>> I tried to find a version of Emmentaler-20 I could install on my mac,
>>> but had no luck.  Is that a way out?  I have to admit that fonts are
>>> pretty much a black hole for me.
>>
>> PDF files should embed every font they contain.  If you have to install
>> external fonts for viewing them, something is broken.  Try using the
>> documentation files of 2.19.81 instead.
>
> Since the issue is that fonts are not embedded, I wondered if the
> solution is as simple as embedding them after the fact.  The important
> missing fonts in question are shipped with LilyPond, so then it was
> matter of looking online for a little bit of GhostScript:
>
>     gs -o path-to-fixed.pdf \
>       -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dEmbedAllFonts=true \
>       -sFONTPATH="path-to-fonts" \
>       path-to-broken.pdf
>
> On my system, "path-to-fonts" would be:
>
>     /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/
>
> Running the command against all of the 2.19.82 PDFs from the web site,
> the results are a significant improvement.  There were only a few
> substitutions due to additional missing fonts, but those are largely
> irrelevant (i.e. "LuxiMono" used as an example of overriding the
> typewriter font).
>
> Something for folks to consider to tide us over until the next release.
>
> -- Aaron Hill
>
On my mac I had to do:

GS_LIB=/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/ghostscript/9.21/Resource/Init
export GS_LIB

or gs would not execute due not being able to find gs_init.ps.  I tried to use “-x” with the above path but gs didn’t recognize the “-x”. Also, “path-to-fonts” on my system was:

/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf

I have run your command on changes.pdf, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks to all for their comments.  I wonder if there might be some new users (or old) that tried v2.19.82 and ran into this problem and got frustrated.  Maybe it would be helpful to delete the English versions of the v2.19.82 manuals from the lilypond.org site, possibly with a note to use the v2.19.81 versions, at least until a new version of lilypond without this problem comes out.
_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user