Re: using footnotes on lyrics with lilypond-book

Re: using footnotes on lyrics with lilypond-book

Mats Bengtsson-6
It should be noted that this solution will not work in LilyPond
version 2.5 or later.

    /Mats

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here is a small how-to for others who try to do the same.  I had to
> add footnotes for lyrics in my song book, here is how I did it:
>
> In the .ly file:
>
> First set encoding to TeX, so the extra tex commands will not be
> counted as space:
>
> \encoding "Tex"
>
> To add footnotes, you need to put the lyrics in double-quotes, and put
> the exact footnote number in brackets, as lilypond may reorder them in
> the .tex output file.  The encoding "TeX" makes sure the marker is not
> counted as space, but this means the footnotemark is not counted at
> all, so I add a single space to compensate for that.  Maybe the TeX
> encoding could be improved to calculate the space better.
>
> ... "please\footnotemark[1] " ...
>
> Then in the lilypond book, add the footnote text:
>
> \lilypondfile{002.ly}
> \footnotetext[1]{Also: tease.}
>
> That's it.  Have fun.
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: using footnotes on lyrics with lilypond-book

Marcus Brinkmann
At Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:55:00 +0200,
Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It should be noted that this solution will not work in LilyPond
> version 2.5 or later.

I won't look at lilypond 2.5 until it becomes 2.6 ;) but I hope that
footnotes (and maybe other TeX constructs) in lyrics will still be
possible.  I don't care much about the exact syntax, but I would hope
that over time something stable and supported will emerge.

If not, there are still alternatives of course, like repeating the
lyrics below the score, and put the footnotes there.  But I think that
for rehearsal, having text repeated is a disadvantage, and I try to
get as close to the original prints of this document from 1867 as I
humanly can with the tools we have.

BTW, upgrading my lilypond book with 200 pages and 136 songs from
lilypond 2.2 to 2.4 was relatively easy with convert-ly and a couple
of further automatic replacements.  So, good job there.

I know how hard the task at hand is, and I have a deep respect for the
difficulty, and I can understand that syntactical and semantical
changes are inevitable.

Thanks,
Marcus

Re: using footnotes on lyrics with lilypond-book

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> At Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:55:00 +0200,
> Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>It should be noted that this solution will not work in LilyPond
>>version 2.5 or later.
>

> I won't look at lilypond 2.5 until it becomes 2.6 ;) but I hope that
> footnotes (and maybe other TeX constructs) in lyrics will still be
> possible.  I don't care much about the exact syntax, but I would hope
> that over time something stable and supported will emerge.
>
> If not, there are still alternatives of course, like repeating the
> lyrics below the score, and put the footnotes there.  But I think that

it's doable to add footnote support to the output engine, however, I
haven't planned anything, so I consider this a sponsored feature.

Re: using footnotes on lyrics with lilypond-book

Laura Conrad

    HN> it's doable to add footnote support to the output engine, however, I
    HN> haven't planned anything, so I consider this a sponsored feature.

I did a little bit of searching for a Unicode character that would be
a superscript one, and didn't find it, but that was the way I thought
of doing it.  In other words, the way the © is done now.  I don't
think it looks as good as the TeX \copyright character, but it works.

Then of course, lilypond-book would still put the \footnotetext
command in after the \lilypondfile.

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011

Re: using footnotes on lyrics with lilypond-book

Marcus Brinkmann
At Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:55:41 -0400,
Laura Conrad <[hidden email]> wrote:

>     HN> it's doable to add footnote support to the output engine, however, I
>     HN> haven't planned anything, so I consider this a sponsored feature.
>
> I did a little bit of searching for a Unicode character that would be
> a superscript one, and didn't find it, but that was the way I thought
> of doing it.  In other words, the way the © is done now.  I don't
> think it looks as good as the TeX \copyright character, but it works.
>
> Then of course, lilypond-book would still put the \footnotetext
> command in after the \lilypondfile.

Thank you Laura.  I had a look, and found the following characters:

Superscript numbers:

SUPERSCRIPT ZERO  0x2070
SUPERSCRIPT ONE   0x00B9
SUPERSCRIPT TWO   0x00B2
SUPERSCRIPT THREE 0x00B3
SUPERSCRIPT FOUR  0x2074
SUPERSCRIPT FIVE  0x2075
SUPERSCRIPT SIX   0x2076
SUPERSCRIPT SEVEN 0x2077
SUPERSCRIPT EIGHT 0x2078
SUPERSCRIPT NINE  0x2079

And if, like me, you use footnote symbols:

ASTERISK  0x002A
DAGGER  0x2020
DOUBLE DAGGER  0x2021
SECTION SIGN  0x00A7
PARAGRAPH SIGN  0x00B6
(here comes a sign I don't even know the name of)
(then come two asterisks, two daggers, two double daggers, and that's it)
(luckily, I only need four footnotes on one page :)

Now, there are two problems: Only the superscripted numbers 1-3 seem
to work; this may be a font problem, which means that you need a long
beard and a funny hat to fix it.  The other problem is that the
symbolic footnotes will be normally sized, while TeX likes to
superscript them.  OTOH, the normally sized ones are "more authentic",
at least they match my 1867 original.

Have fun,
Marcus