Re: time signature in ancient notation

Juergen Reuter

[CC-ing to lily-devel, since this discussion may also be of interest for
other developers; we are discussing here about manual Sect. 3.7.2]

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Geoff Horton wrote:

> I have a revised template that I think works fairly well, plus a suggestion:
>
> \include "english.ly"
> \include "gregorian-init.ly"
>
> \version "2.7.38"
>
> chant = \relative c' {
>  \set Score.timing = ##f
>  \override Staff.Stem #'transparent = ##t
>  f4 a2 \divisioMinima
>  g4 b a2 f2 \divisioMaior
>  g4( f) f( g) a2 \finalis
> }
>
> verba = \lyricmode {
>  Lo -- rem ip -- sum do -- lor sit a -- met
> }
>
> \score {
>  \context Staff <<
>    \context Voice = melody {
>      \chant
>    }
>    \context Lyrics = one \lyricsto melody \verba
>  >>
>  \layout {
>    \context {
>      \Staff
>      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
>    }
>    \context {
>      \Voice
>      \override Stem #'length = #0
>    }
>  }
> }
>
> -------------------------------------

Ok, looks (or, at least, reads) good.  Unfortunately, I can not verify,
since my freshly updated and compiled cvs lilypond core dumps on this
file (*** glibc detected *** lily/out/lilypond: free(): invalid pointer:
0x08d6b818 ***).

So, currently being somewhat blindly, could you please double-check that
there are no bars visible in the template?  When, beforehand, I tried with
2.7.35, an additional '\remove "Bar_engraver"' was required in Staff
context.

> I believe setting the stem lengths to 0 is the simplest solution for
> the slur issues in the thread Juergen cited, and while the results
> aren't perfect, they're good enough (IMHO).

Mmmh, well, it's neither a semantically clean nor a typographically
correct solution.  I would call it a workaround...

> My suggestion is related to the fact that the \divisio-s don't
> function as bar lines (verified by cut-and-pasting the music to make
> it longer) and therefore don't allow breaks in the score. I'd think
> they should, but if this can't be changed, I'd add to the above:

Did you try setting "barAlways = ##t" in Score context?

Greetings,
Juergen

> dMinima = { \divisioMinima \bar "" }
> dMaior = { \divisioMaior \bar "" }
> dfinalis = { \finalis \bar "" }
>
> and then replace the explicit references to the \divisios in the music
> with their \d equivalents. (The result still suffers from inadequate
> lyric spacing, but I hate to make the example more complex.)
>
> Geoff

Re: time signature in ancient notation

Juergen Reuter

Yes, this looks better.  Now, that we have "barAlways = ##t", we can also
drop these "dMinima" etc. definitions.  I also set the \version to 2.8.0
(just looks nicer in the source).  Result is attached.  I think it's still
not perfect, but much better than what is currently in the docu.

Graham, what do you think, could we put attached template into the docu
instead of that currently in 3.7.2?  By the way, we have now "3.5.1
Transcription of mensural music" and "3.7.2 Gregorian transcription
template".  Maybe, these should be put together into a single section (and
maybe the two titles harmonized)?

Greetings,
Juergen

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Geoff Horton wrote:

>> Mmmh, well, it's neither a semantically clean nor a typographically
>> correct solution.  I would call it a workaround...
>
> Or an ugly hack :) But it works.
>
>> Did you try setting "barAlways = ##t" in Score context?
>
> No, but I have now. I had to remove the bar engraver for that to work.
> Is that better or worse than the way it is now? Neither one is pretty,
> but then the whole thing isn't pretty, either.
>
> (BTW, the \include "english.ly" in my original file isn't needed, of course.)
>
> My new file:
>
> \include "gregorian-init.ly"
>
> \version "2.7.38"
>
> dMinima = { \divisioMinima \bar "" }
> dMaior = { \divisioMaior \bar "" }
> dfinalis = { \finalis \bar "" }
>
> chant = \relative c' {
>  \set Score.timing = ##f
>  f4 a2 \dMinima
>  g4 b a2 f2 \dMaior
>  g4( f) f( g) a2 \dfinalis
> }
>
> verba = \lyricmode {
>  Lo -- rem ip -- sum do -- lor sit a -- met
> }
>
> \score {
>  \context Staff <<
>    \context Voice = melody {
>      \chant
>    }
>    \context Lyrics = one \lyricsto melody \verba
>  >>
>  \layout {
>    ragged-right = ##t
>    \context {
>      \Staff
>      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
>      \remove "Bar_engraver"
>      \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
>    }
>    \context {
>      \Voice
>      \override Stem #'length = #0
>    }
>    \context {
>      \Score
>      barAlways = ##t
>    }
>  }

greg-template.ly (972 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: time signature in ancient notation

Graham Percival-2

On 27-Mar-06, at 2:08 PM, Juergen Reuter wrote:

> Graham, what do you think, could we put attached template into the
> docu instead of that currently in 3.7.2?  By the way, we have now
> "3.5.1 Transcription of mensural music" and "3.7.2 Gregorian
> transcription template".  Maybe, these should be put together into a
> single section (and maybe the two titles harmonized)?

Thanks, added.  Let me know what you think of the titles when 2.8.1
comes out.