Re:problems in spacing

Massimiliano Viel
Dear Davide,
thank you for the answer. that was exactly the problem… I just missed to get myself the solution which is nevertheless very explicit in the manual. It is easy for a newbie to get lost in the complications of Lilypond even in simple matters.

And sorry for being a total newbie also in asking for help :-D I’ll do better in the next time!

Again thank you and best wishes

Massimiliano

> Dear Massimiliano,
> a recommendation before addressing your questions.
>
> When you write to the list, please always state which LilyPond version
> you are using, because there can be differences in syntax and
> behaviour, although in this case the differences are not related to
> your problems.
> I assume you are using 2.18.x or some early 2.19.x due to the syntax
> for "system-system-spacing #'basic-distance", which more recently
> became "system-system-spacing.basic-distance".
> It is good practice to include a \version statement in your files,
> recording the LilyPond version the file was written for (see
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/working-on-input-files).
>
> Il giorno mer 24 ott 2018 alle ore 15:58 Massimiliano Viel
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> With system-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #22 I have  2 pages and one system in the 3rd.
>> With system-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #21 I have less than 2 full pages
>> How can I have 2 complete pages?! What do I do wrong?
>
> You can put
> ragged-last-bottom = ##f
> in the \paper block, and then you can get rid of the
> system-system-spacing setting as well (see
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/fixed-vertical-spacing-paper-variables).
>
>> Moreover Frescobaldi signals to me #(set-global-staff-size 16) with the red color. Why is that? The code renders without errore, but that color seems to point me to some misuse. Is it true?
>
> That instruction can be used only outside any variable, either in a
> \book block or outside any block (see
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/setting-the-staff-size).
>
> Best wishes.
> Davide

Re: problems in spacing

Davide Liessi-2
Il giorno mer 24 ott 2018 alle ore 16:48 Davide Liessi
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> That instruction can be used only outside any variable, either in a
> \book block or outside any block (see
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/setting-the-staff-size).

This was apparently wrong: despite what the manual says, that
instruction doesn't work well inside a \book block, so it is better to
use it outside any variable or block (see the recent thread
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-10/msg00327.html).

Il giorno gio 25 ott 2018 alle ore 14:53 Massimiliano Viel
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> thank you for the answer. that was exactly the problem… I just missed to get myself the solution which is nevertheless very explicit in the manual. It is easy for a newbie to get lost in the complications of Lilypond even in simple matters.

Indeed: LilyPond has a steep learning curve, but it is very rewarding.

> And sorry for being a total newbie also in asking for help :-D I’ll do better in the next time!

No need to be sorry: we all started as newbies!
This list is very welcoming both to basic and advanced questions.

Best wishes.
Davide