Re: ossia and adding a label

Sterling MacNay
Hi,

I have figured out how to set up my two-part choral score to include an
ostinato line in the middle for a few bars.  This is a percussive piece
(no melody).

I set:

Ostinato = \drummode {
         \repeat "unfold" 4 {some percussion}
         }

groupOne = \drummode {
         \override Score.BarNumber #'padding = #2
         \set Staff.instrument = " Group One "
         bd sn etc..
         }

groupTwo = \drummode {
         \set Staff.instrument = " Group Two "
         bd sn etc..
         <<
          { sn bd r4 sn | etc... }
                \context DrumStaff =
                Ostinato  { << \global \Ostinato >> }

        bd sn more groupTwo stuff
        }

\score { \context ChoirStaff <<
       \context DrumStaff =
       groupOne { << \global \groupOne >> }
       \context DrumStaff =
       groupTwo { << \global \groupTwo >> }

}

So, all works - I even padded my barnumbers up so they wouldn't clash
with the ChoirStaff.  I can't seem to get the Ostinato line to have
"Ostinato" appear before it as I had "Group One" and "Group Two" appear
before their repective staves.  Is this even possible?  I tried
inserting the appropriate command at different places in the cile but to
no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Sterling MacNay

Re: ossia and adding a label

Mats Bengtsson-6
You don't provide a full example, so I don't really know how long
the intro is before you start the ostinato, but my guess is that
it may be a good idea to add a \break before it, so the ostinato
starts on a new score line. In that case, you can simply set
Staff.instr = "ostinato" to get an label on the new stave.
If you want it to start in the middle of a score line, you could
use the same setting and try to fiddle with
\override InstrumentName #'break-visibility = #all-visible
but then you will get it printed at each bar line. I didn't manage
to do the setting so it only applies ones.

    /Mats

Sterling Sympatico wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have figured out how to set up my two-part choral score to include an
> ostinato line in the middle for a few bars.  This is a percussive piece
> (no melody).
>
> I set:
>
> Ostinato = \drummode {
> \repeat "unfold" 4 {some percussion}
> }
>
> groupOne = \drummode {
> \override Score.BarNumber #'padding = #2
> \set Staff.instrument = " Group One "
> bd sn etc..
> }
>
> groupTwo = \drummode {
> \set Staff.instrument = " Group Two "
> bd sn etc..
> <<
> { sn bd r4 sn | etc... }
> \context DrumStaff =
> Ostinato  { << \global \Ostinato >> }
> >>
> bd sn more groupTwo stuff
> }
>
> \score { \context ChoirStaff <<
>        \context DrumStaff =
>        groupOne { << \global \groupOne >> }
>        \context DrumStaff =
>        groupTwo { << \global \groupTwo >> }
>        >>
> }
>

> So, all works - I even padded my barnumbers up so they wouldn't clash
> with the ChoirStaff.  I can't seem to get the Ostinato line to have
> "Ostinato" appear before it as I had "Group One" and "Group Two" appear
> before their repective staves.  Is this even possible?  I tried
> inserting the appropriate command at different places in the cile but to
> no avail.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sterling MacNay

        Mats Bengtsson