Re: # or not before a value

Graham Percival-2
Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Mats Bengtsson escreveu:
>> In most situations, the hash sign is optional but can be added without
>> chaning anythin.
>
> I've been tempted a few times to strip this feature, actually, in
> favor of the schemish
>
>   #(* cm 2)
>
> or
>
>   #(2 cm)

Is there any benefit other than standardization?  I mean, in terms of
programming is "#(2 cm)" much easier to handle than "2\cm" ?
(if we change this, I vote for #(2 cm); most users would not be pleased
with the screwed-up lisp prefix notation.  :)

Re: # or not before a value

Han-Wen Nienhuys-2
Graham Percival escreveu:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>> Mats Bengtsson escreveu:
>>> In most situations, the hash sign is optional but can be added without
>>> chaning anythin.
>>
>> I've been tempted a few times to strip this feature, actually, in
>> favor of the schemish
>>
>>   #(* cm 2)
>>
>> or
>>
>>   #(2 cm)
>
> Is there any benefit other than standardization?

It simplifies the parser internally. Often when working on language
improvements, the web of backward compatibility prevents us to make
improvements easily; I don't know of a specific case, though.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com