Re: lyrics hyphens question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lyrics hyphens question

Kieren MacMillan
Hi David (et al.),

These are questions regarding the "lyric-word-reconstituter" in the thread which includes the post <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-03/msg00489.html>.

I'd love to use it (or something like it) in my engravings going forward.

1. It doesn't seem to work with 2.19.61 (at least), and convert-ly doesn't seem to help. The error is

    warning: type check for `LyricWord' failed; value `#<Grob_properties>' must be of type `list'

My instinct (and a quick search on -user) led me to believe that changing

    (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)

to

    (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? ly:grob-properties?)

might fix the problem. The file/example now compiles without error. Did I fix it correctly?

2. This is a workaround/hack/fix from 2014. At the time, there was some question as to whether Janek might roll this (or similar) into the GSoC Lyric project… but that is, I believe, dead in the water. Is there any hope of getting this into the codebase? I'm happy to take this "stub" (much more than a stub, of course!) and shepherd it through the dev process to the goal line — but I don't want to start down a track that will ultimately lead to frustration or nowhere at all.

Thanks,
Kieren.

________________________________

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: [hidden email]


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lyrics hyphens question

David Kastrup
Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi David (et al.),
>
> These are questions regarding the "lyric-word-reconstituter" in the
> thread which includes the post
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-03/msg00489.html>.
>
> I'd love to use it (or something like it) in my engravings going forward.
>
> 1. It doesn't seem to work with 2.19.61 (at least), and convert-ly
> doesn't seem to help. The error is
>
>     warning: type check for `LyricWord' failed; value
> `#<Grob_properties>' must be of type `list'
>
> My instinct (and a quick search on -user) led me to believe that changing
>
>     (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)
>
> to
>
>     (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? ly:grob-properties?)
>
> might fix the problem. The file/example now compiles without
> error. Did I fix it correctly?

Sounds like you had the right idea for moving an ugly hack forward in
time.

> 2. This is a workaround/hack/fix from 2014. At the time, there was
> some question as to whether Janek might roll this (or similar) into
> the GSoC Lyric project… but that is, I believe, dead in the water. Is
> there any hope of getting this into the codebase? I'm happy to take
> this "stub" (much more than a stub, of course!) and shepherd it
> through the dev process to the goal line — but I don't want to start
> down a track that will ultimately lead to frustration or nowhere at
> all.

I don't currently have an idea about the overall viability.  David N?

--
David Kastrup

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lyrics hyphens question

David Nalesnik
In reply to this post by Kieren MacMillan
Hi Kieren,

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Kieren MacMillan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David (et al.),
>
> These are questions regarding the "lyric-word-reconstituter" in the thread which includes the post <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-03/msg00489.html>.
>
> I'd love to use it (or something like it) in my engravings going forward.
>
> 1. It doesn't seem to work with 2.19.61 (at least), and convert-ly doesn't seem to help. The error is
>
>     warning: type check for `LyricWord' failed; value `#<Grob_properties>' must be of type `list'
>
> My instinct (and a quick search on -user) led me to believe that changing
>
>     (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)
>
> to
>
>     (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? ly:grob-properties?)
>
> might fix the problem. The file/example now compiles without error. Did I fix it correctly?

Yes, that's right.

>
> 2. This is a workaround/hack/fix from 2014. At the time, there was some question as to whether Janek might roll this (or similar) into the GSoC Lyric project… but that is, I believe, dead in the water. Is there any hope of getting this into the codebase? I'm happy to take this "stub" (much more than a stub, of course!) and shepherd it through the dev process to the goal line — but I don't want to start down a track that will ultimately lead to frustration or nowhere at all.
>

>

It's not suitable as is, but easily remedied.  The grob LyricWord is
defined in a hackish way so that it can fit in an LY file.

In my opinion, it's potentially useful to have a grob which organizes
whole Lyric words, so lyrics are not simply a collection of isolated
syllables.  (Makes short work of the compression in this instance.)

I can't say what problems there are with the compression routine.  I
know there have been complaints, but I haven't looked into them.  (See
openlilylib, I believe.)

DN

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user