Re: lilypond development moved

John Mandereau
Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> we've recently switched to GIT for version control.  As a temporary
> measure, we  had a repository at repo.or.cz. However, in collaboration
> with the savannah hackers, I've now successfully set up a git repository
> at savannah. Check it out at
>
>    http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/
>
> the repo contains both lilypond and the website (branch web/master). All
> the CVS committers have push access to the git repository as well.
>
> The push/pull URL for developers is
>
>    ssh+git://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git

Hi,

I have just switched to git for lilypond source code and lilypond.org,
so I have a few questions (about both master and master-web heads):

1) Is comitting to CVS strictly forbidden from now?

2) Are the committers going to receive email notifications from
[hidden email] like with cvs?
(or shall we just track the RSS feeds?)

3) How are we supposed to write commit messages?
(Shall we just copy the ChangeLog entries?)

4) As a consequence of 3), are ChangeLog entries still necessary?

At first sight, git seems to me a bit more complicated than cvs, but
it's so more featured and flexible!

Besides that, I'm sorry about the little delay in lilypond.org
translation, I was not at the computer at 2.10 release time; the most
serious is that the French download page is broken. I fixed it this
morning and pushed to git repository at sv.gnu.org, but when I'm writing
this lilypond.org is not updated.

John Mandereau <[hidden email]>

Re: lilypond development moved

Han-Wen Nienhuys-2
John Mandereau escreveu:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> we've recently switched to GIT for version control.  As a temporary
>> measure, we  had a repository at repo.or.cz. However, in collaboration
>> with the savannah hackers, I've now successfully set up a git repository
>> at savannah. Check it out at
>>
>>    http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/
>>
>> the repo contains both lilypond and the website (branch web/master). All
>> the CVS committers have push access to the git repository as well.
>>
>> The push/pull URL for developers is
>>
>>    ssh+git://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git
>>

> Hi,
>
> I have just switched to git for lilypond source code and lilypond.org,
> so I have a few questions (about both master and master-web heads):
>
> 1) Is comitting to CVS strictly forbidden from now?

No,

> 2) Are the committers going to receive email notifications from
> [hidden email] like with cvs?
> (or shall we just track the RSS feeds?)

Please track the RSS feeds, and if they do not work (the summary doesn't
contains non-master branches, it seems), please complain to  the git
list (gmane: gmane.comp.version-control.git)

> 3) How are we supposed to write commit messages?
> (Shall we just copy the ChangeLog entries?)

> 4) As a consequence of 3), are ChangeLog entries still necessary?

No, don't write ChangeLog entries anymore. Just put all the information
in the commit log.

> Besides that, I'm sorry about the little delay in lilypond.org
> translation, I was not at the computer at 2.10 release time; the most
> serious is that the French download page is broken. I fixed it this
> morning and pushed to git repository at sv.gnu.org, but when I'm writing
> this lilypond.org is not updated.

Thanks, this is fixed now.

LilyPond Software Design
  -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com

Re: lilypond development moved

Werner LEMBERG

> > 3), are ChangeLog entries still necessary?
> >

> No, don't write ChangeLog entries anymore. Just put all the
> information in the commit log.

Hmm, hmm.  Contrary to the Linux kernel I urgently ask to make a dump
of the commit log part of the final tarball.

    Werner

Werner LEMBERG escreveu:
>>> 3), are ChangeLog entries still necessary?
>>>
>> No, don't write ChangeLog entries anymore. Just put all the
>> information in the commit log.
>
> Hmm, hmm.  Contrary to the Linux kernel I urgently ask to make a dump
> of the commit log part of the final tarball.

I don't mind packaging that.

Proposal:

  * put ChangeLog into Documentation/misc/
  * for each release, do a

    git log release/2.11.0..   > Changes

LilyPond Software Design
  -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com

Re: lilypond development moved

Jan Nieuwenhuizen-2
Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> writes:

> Proposal:
>
>  * put ChangeLog into Documentation/misc/
>  * for each release, do a
>
>    git log release/2.11.0..   > Changes

Hmm, why not use a vamped-up version of
buildscripts/update-git-update-changelog to generate a more
informative and more human readable ChangeLog?

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org