Re: lilypond 2.19.82 now in macports

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lilypond 2.19.82 now in macports

Werner LEMBERG

>> lilypond 2.19.82, the last released development version, is now
>> available in macports.
>
> Just curious - why should one use the macports version instead of
> the binary provided by lilypond.org?

There are at least two reasons.

* It seamlessly integrates into macports, which means it can be easily
  installed with `port install lilypond-devel'.  It can be also easily
  removed with a similar command.

* It uses the most recent libraries.  While the stuff in gub works
  (more or less), many used packages are severely out of date.


    Werner

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lilypond 2.19.82 now in macports

Karlin High
On 12/1/2018 3:50 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> It seamlessly integrates into macports, which means it can be easily
>    installed with `port install lilypond-devel'.  It can be also easily
>    removed with a similar command.

How hard would it be to get LilyPond into the macOS App Store?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lilypond 2.19.82 now in macports

David Kastrup
Karlin High <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 12/1/2018 3:50 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> It seamlessly integrates into macports, which means it can be easily
>>    installed with `port install lilypond-devel'.  It can be also easily
>>    removed with a similar command.
>
> How hard would it be to get LilyPond into the macOS App Store?

Likely impossible.  Apple is allergic against the GPLv3 .

--
David Kastrup

_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: lilypond 2.19.82 now in macports

James Lowe-3
In reply to this post by Werner LEMBERG
Sorry to re-open this discussion:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: lilypond-devel <lilypond-devel-
> bounces+pkx166h=[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Werner LEMBERG
> Sent: 01 December 2018 21:50
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: lilypond 2.19.82 now in macports
>
>
> >> lilypond 2.19.82, the last released development version, is now
> >> available in macports.
> >
> > Just curious - why should one use the macports version instead of the
> > binary provided by lilypond.org?
>
> There are at least two reasons.
>
> * It seamlessly integrates into macports, which means it can be easily
>   installed with `port install lilypond-devel'.  It can be also easily
>   removed with a similar command.
>
> * It uses the most recent libraries.  While the stuff in gub works
>   (more or less), many used packages are severely out of date.
>
>
>     Werner

Looking at macports - i.e.
https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=lilypond should we be
updating the information here:

http://lilypond.org/macos-x.html and perhaps here
http://lilypond.org/development.html (with information about MacPorts and
why/why not to use those instead)?

Regards

James


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel