Re: less than two visible stems

Sean Reed

>> I was wondering if it could be done automatically. I've tried
>
> I don't know what's best. For a much larger portion of the music, it
> might be a valid warning. Ideas?
i can think of instances where a warning is valid, but the only ones
that come to mind right off the bat are generally stylistic issues; for
example, when beaming a 16th note to a dotted 8th rest in most common
forms of classical music notation.

what other situations for valid warnings are there that i'm
overlooking? this might clarify understanding of autoBeam and help find
an idea for a creative approach to the issue (i'm sure you guys have
thought these things through, especially being active instrumentalists
yourselves).

i can beam the following with no warning about "less than two visible
stems": a16[ r8 a16]. whereas a16[ r8.] gives me the warning.

if it is indeed primarily a style issue, perhaps a (set-xxxx-style)
function would be possible. there are various automatic accidental
environments with different rules which are set with the
(set-accidental-style) function.

would it be feasible to implement different automatic beaming
environments? perhaps with an argument in the context part of the
function to indicate which beat duration then gets checked for
potential mistakes? for example, one could indicate #
(set-automaticBeaming-style 'restInclusion #('quarters#)) [forgive me
if that's senseless code!]. this would indicate, for example, that
rests can be beamed to notes, even in groups of two (one rest, one
note), and that automatic beaming is undertaken for every quarter note
beat. this would perhaps also allow for zeroguy's desire to not have to
manually place the square brackets all the time. one could also then
choose #(set-automaticBeaming-style 'default), like with the accidental
styles, which would then give the warnings we get now, and which would
be default.

again, i have no understanding of the underlying programming involved,
so forgive me if the implementation of such a suggestion would mean
rewriting everything.

-sean
Sean Reed
Hamburg, Germany
Web: www.seanreed.de

>> using the autoBeam feature, but it doesn't seem to do it across rests.
>> Is there any option to turn on to allow this to happen automatically?
>> (As opposed to typing in the '['s all the time.)
>

> No.
>
> --
>  Han-Wen Nienhuys - [hidden email] - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen

Re: less than two visible stems

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Sean Reed wrote:

> i can think of instances where a warning is valid, but the only ones
> that come to mind right off the bat are generally stylistic issues; for
> example, when beaming a 16th note to a dotted 8th rest in most common
> forms of classical music notation.
>
> what other situations for valid warnings are there that i'm overlooking?
> this might clarify understanding of autoBeam and help find an idea for a
> creative approach to the issue (i'm sure you guys have thought these
> things through, especially being active instrumentalists yourselves).
>
> i can beam the following with no warning about "less than two visible
> stems": a16[ r8 a16]. whereas a16[ r8.] gives me the warning.

I've removed the warning. There's still a warning for a beam with only 1
stem.

> would it be feasible to implement different automatic beaming
> environments? perhaps with an argument in the context part of the
> function to indicate which beat duration then gets checked for potential
> mistakes? for example, one could indicate # (set-automaticBeaming-style
> 'restInclusion #('quarters#)) [forgive me if that's senseless code!].
> this would indicate, for example, that rests can be beamed to notes,
> even in groups of two (one rest, one note), and that automatic beaming
> is undertaken for every quarter note beat. this would perhaps also allow
> for zeroguy's desire to not have to manually place the square brackets
> all the time. one could also then choose #(set-automaticBeaming-style
> 'default), like with the accidental styles, which would then give the
> warnings we get now, and which would be default.

The autobeamer is a grotesque hack, which works remarkably well for a
hack. However, I don't like the idea of sinking much time in it.
If you're interested, you can see what happens if you remove the
following bits from auto beam engraver.

       else if (Rest::has_interface (info.grob ()))
        {
          end_beam ();

       /*
        Don't (start) auto-beam over empty stems; skips or rests
       */
       if (!Stem::head_count (stem))
        {
          if (stems_)