Re: alignment: gjpqy chars in markup

Mats Bengtsson-6
Developers, it would be nice to get some clarification on the
alignment of different markups!

For some strange reason, the following seems to work.
\layout{raggedright=##t}
{ c'^\markup{"foo" \hspace #0.0 } c'^\markup{"bag" \hspace #0.0 } }

It's not at all clear to me how the alignment is handled here.
Some related issues were brought up in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-08/msg00199.html

    /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:

> What's the best way to get two markup strings (once containing a gjpqy,
> the other
> without such characters) to align?  In the example below, the "bag" is
> typeset
> higher than "foo", because the "g" requires space under the line.
> The extra space seems to correspond to 0.4 staffspaces, so I _could_
> align them
> by doing
> \once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 0.4)
> but this seems like a non-ideal solution.
>

> \layout{raggedright=##t}
> { c'^"foo" c'^"bag" }

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing