Re:Using various weights and widths of fonts

Re:Using various weights and widths of fonts

Joshua Nichols

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 22:12:52 -0400
From: Ben <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Using various weights and widths of fonts

On 11/2/2018 9:50 PM, Joshua Nichols wrote:
> I guess it would be helpful that when I try to call:
>
>     \override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display")
>

> I cannot get the override, and thus the font reverts to sans. I have
> the font installed on my system, so I know it's not an issue of the
> font being installed. Perhaps this helps.
>
> --
> Josh
>

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM Joshua Nichols
>
>     Hello all!
>
>     I am trying to use different variants of Garamond Premier,
>     especially the Display weight and Narrow Widths. at any moment's
>     notice. I seem to be able to do it for some of them, but not
>     others. In particular, I'll use the narrow variant of Minion Pro
>     for lyrics by calling:
>
>         \override LyricFont.font-name = "Minion Pro Cond"
>

>     in \layout{}. But, when I want to change just a single instance of
>     the font in, let's say, a \markup{}, I can't find a way to do it.
>
>     I'm sure I'll eat my shoe, but I'd appreciate the help here. Thank
>     you in advance.
>

>     --
>     Josh

You could use this technique perhaps...

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/change-the-font-for-all-markups-td171730.html

Depends I guess on how you setup your document fonts and how many
markups you are wishing to change (all/one)...

Does this help?

The problem I am still having is getting pango or lilypond to recognize the variant widths and weights of these pro line fonts. as soon as I use \override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display") nothing happens. It reverts to sans.

Does this help clarify? So it's still not working. :(

Re: Using various weights and widths of fonts

SoundsFromSound

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 22:12:52 -0400
From: Ben <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

On 11/2/2018 9:50 PM, Joshua Nichols wrote:
> I guess it would be helpful that when I try to call:
>
>     \override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display")
>

> I cannot get the override, and thus the font reverts to sans. I have
> the font installed on my system, so I know it's not an issue of the
> font being installed. Perhaps this helps.
>
> --
> Josh
>

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM Joshua Nichols
>
>     Hello all!
>
>     I am trying to use different variants of Garamond Premier,
>     especially the Display weight and Narrow Widths. at any moment's
>     notice. I seem to be able to do it for some of them, but not
>     others. In particular, I'll use the narrow variant of Minion Pro
>     for lyrics by calling:
>
>         \override LyricFont.font-name = "Minion Pro Cond"
>

>     in \layout{}. But, when I want to change just a single instance of
>     the font in, let's say, a \markup{}, I can't find a way to do it.
>
>     I'm sure I'll eat my shoe, but I'd appreciate the help here. Thank
>     you in advance.
>

>     --
>     Josh

You could use this technique perhaps...

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/change-the-font-for-all-markups-td171730.html

Depends I guess on how you setup your document fonts and how many
markups you are wishing to change (all/one)...

Does this help?

The problem I am still having is getting pango or lilypond to recognize the variant widths and weights of these pro line fonts. as soon as I use \override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display") nothing happens. It reverts to sans.

Does this help clarify? So it's still not working. :(

Make sure you have the font exactly correct, otherwise it defaults back to sans :) Sometimes fonts are installed have names slightly different than you'd expect them to have (as far as what the system 'sees'.)

Also, did you try the markup overrides I put in my later emails? It should work as long as you have the font 100% correct named :)

{
 c1^\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "Minion Pro") "hello" } c
c^\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "InformalRoman") "hello" }
c c^\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "Raleway") "hello" } c
composer | sound designer | asmr artist

Re: Using various weights and widths of fonts

tisimst
Hi, Josh!

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 22:12:52 -0400
From: Ben <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

On 11/2/2018 9:50 PM, Joshua Nichols wrote:
> I guess it would be helpful that when I try to call:
>
>     \override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display")
>

> I cannot get the override, and thus the font reverts to sans. I have
> the font installed on my system, so I know it's not an issue of the
> font being installed. Perhaps this helps.
>
> --
> Josh
>

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM Joshua Nichols
>
>     Hello all!
>
>     I am trying to use different variants of Garamond Premier,
>     especially the Display weight and Narrow Widths. at any moment's
>     notice. I seem to be able to do it for some of them, but not
>     others. In particular, I'll use the narrow variant of Minion Pro
>     for lyrics by calling:
>
>         \override LyricFont.font-name = "Minion Pro Cond"
>

>     in \layout{}. But, when I want to change just a single instance of
>     the font in, let's say, a \markup{}, I can't find a way to do it.
>
>     I'm sure I'll eat my shoe, but I'd appreciate the help here. Thank
>     you in advance.
>

>     --
>     Josh

You could use this technique perhaps...

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/change-the-font-for-all-markups-td171730.html

Depends I guess on how you setup your document fonts and how many
markups you are wishing to change (all/one)...

Does this help?

The problem I am still having is getting pango or lilypond to recognize the variant widths and weights of these pro line fonts. as soon as I use \override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display") nothing happens. It reverts to sans.

Does this help clarify? So it's still not working. :(

What OS are you on? I know it’s a bit overwhelming, but have you checked to see what font names show up with the show-available-fonts option? This may help narrow down why it can’t be found by Pango. With as complex as the Garamond Pro family is, it’s possible that Pango isn’t parsing the font metadata correctly (or maybe the metadata itself isn’t formed correctly) to identify that specific variant.

Best,
Abraham

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 22:12:52 -0400
From: Ben <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 22:12:52 -0400
From: Ben <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

On 11/2/2018 9:50 PM, Joshua Nichols wrote:
> I guess it would be helpful that when I try to call:
>
>     \override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display")
>

> I cannot get the override, and thus the font reverts to sans. I have
> the font installed on my system, so I know it's not an issue of the
> font being installed. Perhaps this helps.
>
> --
> Josh
>

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM Joshua Nichols
>
>     Hello all!
>
>     I am trying to use different variants of Garamond Premier,
>     especially the Display weight and Narrow Widths. at any moment's
>     notice. I seem to be able to do it for some of them, but not
>     others. In particular, I'll use the narrow variant of Minion Pro
>     for lyrics by calling:
>
>         \override LyricFont.font-name = "Minion Pro Cond"
>

>     in \layout{}. But, when I want to change just a single instance of
>     the font in, let's say, a \markup{}, I can't find a way to do it.
>
>     I'm sure I'll eat my shoe, but I'd appreciate the help here. Thank
>     you in advance.
>

>     --
>     Josh

You could use this technique perhaps...

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/change-the-font-for-all-markups-td171730.html

Depends I guess on how you setup your document fonts and how many
markups you are wishing to change (all/one)...

Does this help?

The problem I am still having is getting pango or lilypond to recognize the variant widths and weights of these pro line fonts. as soon as I use \override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display") nothing happens. It reverts to sans.

Does this help clarify? So it's still not working. :(

What OS are you on? I know it’s a bit overwhelming, but have you checked to see what font names show up with the show-available-fonts option? This may help narrow down why it can’t be found by Pango. With as complex as the Garamond Pro family is, it’s possible that Pango isn’t parsing the font metadata correctly (or maybe the metadata itself isn’t formed correctly) to identify that specific variant.

I’m not at a computer to confirm the exact syntax, but it’s a command line option “-dshow-available-fonts”. If you’re using Frescobaldi, there’s a menu option for it under “Tools” I think.

Best,
Abraham

Re: Using various weights and widths of fonts

Joshua Nichols
I just found it in Frescobaldi. This is what is displayed:

Garamond Premr Pro Disp

So! That means that the best method is to display the fonts and find their naming using a search function. I managed to get it to work! Thanks for the lead!
--
Josh

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 22:12:52 -0400
From: Ben <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 11:34 AM Joshua Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just found it in Frescobaldi. This is what is displayed:

Garamond Premr Pro Disp

So! That means that the best method is to display the fonts and find their naming using a search function. I managed to get it to work! Thanks for the lead!

You’re most welcome!

That kind of naming most likely comes from the name-length limitation in fonts. That doesn’t necessarily mean *that* font has a name too long, but probably another one in the family (e.g. Garamond Premiere Pro Display Semibold Condensed, or something like this). What many larger foundries do is uniformly abbreviate parts of the name across the entire family, even if they don’t all need it, to keep a consistent convention for all variants. I actually can’t say whether or not that is true here since I don’t own a license for this family, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case here.

Now, to get larger font families  supported natively in LilyPond...

Best,
Abraham