Re: Rational

Karlin High
On 5/23/2018 7:20 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Let's assume that I'm a moron with a room-temperature IQ and, as
>> our friend Kieran McMullen
>
> I assume you mean me, Kieren MacMillan?
>
>> has remarked, "You have no idea what you're talking about."
>
> Could you please remind me where I remarked that?
>
> Thanks,
> Kieren.
Possibly this one.

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-11/msg00641.html>

Or at some other point in the previous November 2016 discussion on this
topic. That was the one that really hooked me on the LilyPond community.
The one where I saw people at the intersection of music engraving, music
theory, computer science, and software development with some of the most
highly-advanced programming languages - but NOT noviciacy with Mother
Teresa's order, I assume - these people handled a community disruption
with a surprising amount of grace and intelligence.

Looks like that was a really happening month for lilypond-user; I see
1,283 posts. It even included a "New Website" discussion. Maybe we
should start one of those again too, just for completeness. :)

I did archive the public-Github website design proposal from that
discussion, since I thought it was approaching a Platonic ideal of some
sort. (Refresh-not-replace, static site, potentially JavaScript-free all
CSS, mobile-device-responsive, little disruption to existing
infrastructure, etc)

On second thought, I'll only re-start that discussion (not immediately,
but in the future) if the people working on the 2.20 release approve, as
it would be even further distracting from that goal.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

[OT] was Re: Rational

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Karlin,

>> Could you please remind me where I remarked that?
> Possibly this one.
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-11/msg00641.html>

Thanks for the link.

> NOT noviciacy with Mother Teresa's order, I assume

Meh… Mother Teresa was no saint.  ;)
<https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/mother-teresa-was-anything-but-a-saint-canadian-study-says/article9317551/>

Cheers,
Kieren.

Re: [OT] was Re: Rational

Karlin High
On 5/23/2018 8:44 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Meh… Mother Teresa was no saint.;)
> <https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/mother-teresa-was-anything-but-a-saint-canadian-study-says/article9317551/>
/Copies linked article to OneNote/

Thanks, I had that one dimly in memory but couldn't recall where. I
wanted it as an example of a media hit-piece. I'm not Roman Catholic and
never studied Mother Teresa's life, but I think they're approaching
Job's-accuser level there. (Someone is GOOD? NO WAY! Can't stand that,
must do immediate tear-down.)

Mark Twain quote: "There are few things harder to bear than the
annoyance of a good example."
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Re: [OT] was Re: Rational

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Karlin,

> I'm not Roman Catholic and never studied Mother Teresa's life, but I think they're approaching Job's-accuser level there. (Someone is GOOD? NO WAY! Can't stand that, must do immediate tear-down.)

There have been concerns about her manufactured image, going back decades and from multiple sources — a good place to start related reading is <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa>.

But this is the same with all "heros", of course: John Lennon beat women; Ghandi had *many* rather shocking flaws; etc.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Re: [OT] was Re: Rational

Kieren MacMillan
Also <https://vimeo.com/235750026> is a good video to add perspective to the conversation.
Kieren.

> On May 23, 2018, at 10:06 PM, Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Karlin,
>
>> I'm not Roman Catholic and never studied Mother Teresa's life, but I think they're approaching Job's-accuser level there. (Someone is GOOD? NO WAY! Can't stand that, must do immediate tear-down.)
>
> There have been concerns about her manufactured image, going back decades and from multiple sources — a good place to start related reading is <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa>.
>
> But this is the same with all "heros", of course: John Lennon beat women; Ghandi had *many* rather shocking flaws; etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Kieren.

Re: [OT] was Re: Rational

Aaron Hill
On 2018-05-23 19:06, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> . . . [sic] Ghandi had *many* rather shocking flaws . . .

Yes, due to an integer overflow bug, Gandhi's initially hard-coded
aggression value of 1 could end up being lowered such that it wrapped
around to 255.  And then nukes.

-- Aaron Hill

Re: [OT] was Re: Rational

Kieren MacMillan
> Yes, due to an integer overflow bug, Gandhi's initially hard-coded aggression value of 1 could end up being lowered such that it wrapped around to 255.  And then nukes.

BWAHAHAHAHA!  =)
K.

Re: [OT] was Re: Rational

Karlin High
On 5/23/2018 9:21 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> Yes, due to an integer overflow bug, Gandhi's initially hard-coded aggression value of 1 could end up being lowered such that it wrapped around to 255.  And then nukes.
>
> BWAHAHAHAHA!  =)
> K.

Same here. :)

A reference to the "Sid Meier's Civilization" computer games, I assume?
Never played those, but read somewhere about its
Gandhi-as-nuclear-madman thing.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Re: [OT] was Re: Rational

David Kastrup
Karlin High <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 5/23/2018 9:21 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>>> Yes, due to an integer overflow bug, Gandhi's initially hard-coded
>> aggression value of 1 could end up being lowered such that it
>> wrapped around to 255.  And then nukes.
>>
>> BWAHAHAHAHA!  =)
>> K.
>
> Same here. :)
>
> A reference to the "Sid Meier's Civilization" computer games, I
> assume? Never played those, but read somewhere about its
> Gandhi-as-nuclear-madman thing.

Looking at more recent election results I cannot help but wonder whether
voters were speculating on a different kind of wraparound.