Re: Midi block gives errors with bar number checks

Re: Midi block gives errors with bar number checks

James Lowe-3
Hello,

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 10:51:15 +0100 (CET), Martin Tarenskeen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 2019, Peter Toye wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how many LP user use the MIDI output anyway, given its restrictions. Personally, I use it for proof-reading only, so lack of repeats isn't an issue.
>
> I use MIDI output mainly for proofreading, but at occasions where I need
> better MIDI output I always create separate scores for layout{} and
> midi{}. In the midi-only version I copy/paste all music in the correct
> order instead of using any repeat instructions. Also suitable for complex
> Da Capo / Segno / Coda types of repeats. If I arrange my music in blocks
> using variables and use my favorite texteditor it really isn't that much
> extra work and it is a usable workaround for Lilypond's restrictions.
>
> Sometimes even \unfoldRepeats doesn't do the trick.
>
> --
>
> MT

Do we need an @knownissue in the Notation Reference?

James

Re: Midi block gives errors with bar number checks

Carl Sorensen-3

On 11/27/19, 7:20 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of James Lowe" <lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hello,

    On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 10:51:15 +0100 (CET), Martin Tarenskeen <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Nov 2019, Peter Toye wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure how many LP user use the MIDI output anyway, given its restrictions. Personally, I use it for proof-reading only, so lack of repeats isn't an issue.
    >
    > I use MIDI output mainly for proofreading, but at occasions where I need
    > better MIDI output I always create separate scores for layout{} and
    > midi{}. In the midi-only version I copy/paste all music in the correct
    > order instead of using any repeat instructions. Also suitable for complex
    > Da Capo / Segno / Coda types of repeats. If I arrange my music in blocks
    > using variables and use my favorite texteditor it really isn't that much
    > extra work and it is a usable workaround for Lilypond's restrictions.
    >
    > Sometimes even \unfoldRepeats doesn't do the trick.
    >
    > --
    >
    > MT

    Do we need an @knownissue in the Notation Reference?

    James

I believe that @knownissue is the correct way to deal with this, unless we are going to go all out and remove \barNumberCheck from the midi performers.

We shouldn't spend a lot of time documenting the current behavior, since it's not consciously designed, but rather an unanticipated result.

Carl

Re: Midi block gives errors with bar number checks

Dan Eble
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 10:51:15 +0100 (CET), Martin Tarenskeen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I use MIDI output mainly for proofreading, but at occasions where I need
>> better MIDI output I always create separate scores for layout{} and
>> midi{}. In the midi-only version I copy/paste all music in the correct
>> order instead of using any repeat instructions. Also suitable for complex
>> Da Capo / Segno / Coda types of repeats. If I arrange my music in blocks
>> using variables and use my favorite texteditor it really isn't that much
>> extra work and it is a usable workaround for Lilypond's restrictions.
>>
>> Sometimes even \unfoldRepeats doesn't do the trick.

I haven't used bar checks.  Have you tried setting the ignoreBarChecks property?  If you don't know what that means, and if you are willing to post a minimal example of the problem, I am willing to try setting it for you.

Dan

On 11/27/19, 9:29 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Dan Eble" <lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 10:51:15 +0100 (CET), Martin Tarenskeen <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >> I use MIDI output mainly for proofreading, but at occasions where I need
    >> better MIDI output I always create separate scores for layout{} and
    >> midi{}. In the midi-only version I copy/paste all music in the correct
    >> order instead of using any repeat instructions. Also suitable for complex
    >> Da Capo / Segno / Coda types of repeats. If I arrange my music in blocks
    >> using variables and use my favorite texteditor it really isn't that much
    >> extra work and it is a usable workaround for Lilypond's restrictions.
    >>
    >> Sometimes even \unfoldRepeats doesn't do the trick.

    I haven't used bar checks.  Have you tried setting the ignoreBarChecks property?  If you don't know what that means, and if you are willing to post a minimal example of the problem, I am willing to try setting it for you.

It’s not bar checks causing the problem, it's bar number checks.

The beginning of this thread had a minimal example.

Thanks,

Carl

On Nov 27, 2019, at 11:35, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It’s not bar checks causing the problem, it's bar number checks.

Oh, thanks for the correction.

It doesn't look difficult to add a context property to deactivate bar number checks.  Would that be the ideal solution?

Dan

On 11/27/19, 9:55 AM, "Dan Eble" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    On Nov 27, 2019, at 11:35, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > It’s not bar checks causing the problem, it's bar number checks.

    Oh, thanks for the correction.

    It doesn't look difficult to add a context property to deactivate bar number checks.  Would that be the ideal solution?

I don't know the answer to this question.  I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics of bar number checking to know how and when the bar number checks occur.

From the user point of view, the ideal solution would be that if a score that includes bar number checks was handled by  a midi block , the bar number checks would be ignored.

If that behavior could happen by means of a context property ignoreBarNumberChecks, and the midi block would set that context property #t by default, that would certainly be a feasible solution.  Whether it's the best solution or not is beyond my ability to say.

It would not be an ideal solution if the user needed to add an override in the midi block to ignore the bar number checks, but it would still be a workable solution, because we could document the procedure.

Thanks,

Carl

On Nov 27, 2019, at 12:06, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From the user point of view, the ideal solution would be that if a score that includes bar number checks was handled by  a midi block , the bar number checks would be ignored.

That's probably easily achievable.

I'm looking at the existing regression tests, and I don't see why we need both of these:

    ./input/regression/bar-number-check.ly
    ./input/regression/bar-number-check-warning.ly

Am I overlooking something?

Dan

On Nov 27, 2019, at 14:19, Dan Eble <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2019, at 12:06, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> From the user point of view, the ideal solution would be that if a score that includes bar number checks was handled by  a midi block , the bar number checks would be ignored.
>
> That's probably easily achievable.
>
> I'm looking at the existing regression tests, and I don't see why we need both of these:
>
>    ./input/regression/bar-number-check.ly
>    ./input/regression/bar-number-check-warning.ly
>
> Am I overlooking something?

I went ahead and removed one of them.

Dan