Re: MacOS Lilypond distribution

Matthias Neeracher

On Nov 23, 2006, at 10:46 PM, Dylan McNamee wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the Mac OS x86 archive of Lilypond on this page:
>
> http://lilypond.org/web/install/
>
> is actually a PPC binary.
>
> Thanks for being the MacOS maintainer for this amazing program!

Actually, I'm NOT the MacOS maintainer, although I did contribute some
MacOS work. As for the binary being PPC, first impressions might be
deceptive:

• The lilypond binary itself (i.e. the program that does the
typesetting) is definitely Intel native. (See Lilypond.app/Contents/
Resources/bin/lilypond).
• I'm not sure whether the frontend runs translated or native, but as
far as I recall, the actual PPC binary in the app is tiny and only
serves to launch a python script that does the actual work. Therefore,
the frontend might also be running native (and in any case, that would
be fairly irrelevant either way, because the frontend is not
performance critical).

Hope this helps
Matthias

Re: MacOS Lilypond distribution

Han-Wen Nienhuys-2
Matthias Neeracher escreveu:

> Actually, I'm NOT the MacOS maintainer, although I did contribute some
> MacOS work. As for the binary being PPC, first impressions might be
> deceptive:
>
> • The lilypond binary itself (i.e. the program that does the
> typesetting) is definitely Intel native. (See
> Lilypond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond).
> • I'm not sure whether the frontend runs translated or native, but as
> far as I recall, the actual PPC binary in the app is tiny and only
> serves to launch a python script that does the actual work. Therefore,
> the frontend might also be running native (and in any case, that would
> be fairly irrelevant either way, because the frontend is not performance
> critical).

As I've said before: it's almost trivially easy to make the frontend
x86 too, but someone needs to run py2app on an intel box, and
send me the results.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com

Re: MacOS Lilypond distribution

Matthias Neeracher
> As I've said before: it's almost trivially easy to make the frontend
> x86 too, but someone needs to run py2app on an intel box, and
> send me the results.

Since I am, as of a week ago, the proud owner of an Intel box, I'd be
happy to do that. However, I have been unable to figure out where to
find the MacOS specific bits in the git repository, and how to kick
off that build.

Matthias

Re: MacOS Lilypond distribution

Han-Wen Nienhuys-2
Matthias Neeracher escreveu:
>> As I've said before: it's almost trivially easy to make the frontend
>> x86 too, but someone needs to run py2app on an intel box, and
>> send me the results.
>
> Since I am, as of a week ago, the proud owner of an Intel box, I'd be
> happy to do that. However, I have been unable to figure out where to
> find the MacOS specific bits in the git repository, and how to kick off
> that build.

They are still in CVS, module installers/macos. Inside there, we have
a directory LilyPad where you should run py2app as

  python setup.py --icon lilypond.icns

I need the resulting .app directory.

You can test whether it works, by overwriting the x86 lilypond.app
from lilypond.org with the just generated one.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com

Re: MacOS Lilypond distribution

Graham Percival-2
Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> As I've said before: it's almost trivially easy to make the frontend
> x86 too, but someone needs to run py2app on an intel box, and
> send me the results.

I installed fink's py2app-py24 but that gave my a "py2applet" file.
When I run that, I get usage info.  What should I do?  (I'm not familiar
with python)

Graham Percival escreveu:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>> As I've said before: it's almost trivially easy to make the frontend
>> x86 too, but someone needs to run py2app on an intel box, and
>> send me the results.
>
> I installed fink's py2app-py24 but that gave my a "py2applet" file. When
> I run that, I get usage info.  What should I do?  (I'm not familiar with
> python)

something like

  python setup.py py2app

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Graham Percival escreveu:
>> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>>> As I've said before: it's almost trivially easy to make the frontend
>>> x86 too, but someone needs to run py2app on an intel box, and
>>> send me the results.
>> I installed fink's py2app-py24 but that gave my a "py2applet" file. When
>> I run that, I get usage info.  What should I do?  (I'm not familiar with
>> python)
>
> something like
>
>   python setup.py py2app

Err... like this?

w163-mac:~/tmp gperciva$ py2applet --make-setup
Wrote setup.py
w163-mac:~/tmp gperciva$ python setup.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "setup.py", line 8, in ?
     from setuptools import setup
ImportError: No module named setuptools

I know I'm missing something basic here.

Re: MacOS Lilypond distribution

Trevor Bača-2
On 12/3/06, Graham Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > Graham Percival escreveu:
> >> I installed fink's py2app-py24 but that gave my a "py2applet" file. When
> >> I run that, I get usage info.  What should I do?  (I'm not familiar with
> >> python)
> >
> > something like
> >
> >   python setup.py py2app
>
> Err... like this?
>
> w163-mac:~/tmp gperciva$ py2applet --make-setup
> Wrote setup.py
> w163-mac:~/tmp gperciva$ python setup.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "setup.py", line 8, in ?
>      from setuptools import setup
> ImportError: No module named setuptools
Unfortunately you're not. Python's complaining that the setuptools
module isn't available and so the import fails.

You can try using find (matching on the name setuptools) to see if you
have the module on your system at all. If you do have setuptools on
your filesystem, change the value of PYTHONPATH (which you can, of
course, echo on the commandline to inspect) to include whatever
directory setuptools lives in. If you don't have setuptools on your
system then you'll have to go fetch it from somewhere.

You can also type

prompt> python
>>> import setuptools

to test python and see if it can find the setuptools module once
you've done the installation.

--
Trevor Bača

Trevor Bača wrote:
> Unfortunately you're not. Python's complaining that the setuptools
> module isn't available and so the import fails.

Aha!  I was running "python", which found the default OSX python 2.3.5.
  Running "python2.4" gets me more... although still not perfect.

tsubasa:~/tmp gperciva$ python2.4 setup.py py2app
running py2app
creating /Users/gperciva/tmp/build
creating /Users/gperciva/tmp/build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386
creating
/Users/gperciva/tmp/build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone
creating
/Users/gperciva/tmp/build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone/app
creating
/Users/gperciva/tmp/build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone/app/collect
creating
/Users/gperciva/tmp/build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone/app/temp
creating /Users/gperciva/tmp/dist
creating build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone/app/lib-dynload
creating build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone/app/Frameworks
error: You must specify either app or plugin
tsubasa:~/tmp gperciva$

The created directories are all empty, I'm afraid.  (I tried adding
"app" at varying places in the above command with no luck)

Graham Percival escreveu:

> Trevor Bača wrote:
>> Unfortunately you're not. Python's complaining that the setuptools
>> module isn't available and so the import fails.
>
> Aha!  I was running "python", which found the default OSX python 2.3.5.
>  Running "python2.4" gets me more... although still not perfect.
>
> tsubasa:~/tmp gperciva$ python2.4 setup.py py2app
> running py2app
> creating /Users/gperciva/tmp/build
> creating /Users/gperciva/tmp/build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386
> creating
> /Users/gperciva/tmp/build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone
> creating
> /Users/gperciva/tmp/build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone/app
> creating
> /Users/gperciva/tmp/build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone/app/collect
>
> creating
> /Users/gperciva/tmp/build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone/app/temp
>
> creating /Users/gperciva/tmp/dist
> creating build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone/app/lib-dynload
> creating build/bdist.darwin-8.8.3-i386/python2.4-standalone/app/Frameworks
> error: You must specify either app or plugin
> tsubasa:~/tmp gperciva$
>

> The created directories are all empty, I'm afraid.  (I tried adding
> "app" at varying places in the above command with no luck)
>
> - Graham

I do /usr/bin/python setup.py py2app

I have various py2app stuff in /Library /Developer etc.,

maagd:~/src/maclily/LilyPad$ locate py2app|grep Receipts |grep 'pkg$'
/Library/Receipts/py2app-examples-0.1.7.pkg
/Library/Receipts/py2app-purelib-0.1.7.pkg
/Library/Receipts/py2app-scripts-0.1.7.pkg
/Library/Receipts/py2app-tools-0.1.7.pkg

Unfortunately I forgot where I got these from.