Re: Lyrics alignment, stanza numbers, metadata

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lyrics alignment, stanza numbers, metadata

Don Blaheta
Quoth Mats Bengtsson:

> For some reason, LilyPond gets confused by your construct
> \new Voice {
>   \relative {
>     \time 6/4
>     \key f \major
>     \context Voice = "refrain" { ...
>
> If you replace \new Voice by \context Voice = refrain in your \score
> block, then the alignment of both stanza numbers and syllables is
> correct.

The original reason I started doing it that way was I had a couple of
songs whose verses came after their refrain, and I had no actual
understanding of how Voices work, or that they didn't nest, or anything
like that. :)  Your suggestion won't quite work for the refrain-verse
structure I note, but there are others that will.

> Also, note that a Lyrics contexts cannot be put within a Staff context.
> For some reason it happens to work anyway in your example, but I
> have seen strange results from such mishabits.

I assume it's being promoted to a sibling context just like "nested"
Voices are, but that's another thing that I didn't know until I really
started banging on edge cases to understand the internals.

(I will share the following story: as I was looking around the website
to find out how to help with the documentation, I saw the page that said
that "The docs for lyrics suck!" isn't a very useful suggestion, which
was funny because that was *precisely* what I wanted to say.  But I'll
have some more useful comments on that anon. ;)

> >3) The metadata permitted in \header seems ill-suited for a lot of the
> >stuff I'm typing in (old churchy stuff, mostly).  [...]
>
> I usually don't bother so much about the names of the different fields.
> Often, you can use a field like poet for something else. Note also that
> you can easily specify several lines for each field using text markup,
> for example
> poet = \markup{\column \line {Aaaa Bbbb, v1,3} \line{Cccc Dddd, v2,4 }}

Ah, didn't realise that.  I'm kind of a metadata snob, and I hate mixing
content and presentation like that, but if that's the way to do it
that's what I'll do. :)

--
-=-Don Blaheta-=-=-[hidden email]-=-=-=-<http://www.blahedo.org/>-=-
System halted:  Press any key to do nothing.


_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lyrics alignment, stanza numbers, metadata

Mats Bengtsson-6


Don Blaheta wrote:

>Quoth Mats Bengtsson:
>  
>
>>For some reason, LilyPond gets confused by your construct
>>\new Voice {
>>  \relative {
>>    \time 6/4
>>    \key f \major
>>    \context Voice = "refrain" { ...
>>
>>If you replace \new Voice by \context Voice = refrain in your \score
>>block, then the alignment of both stanza numbers and syllables is
>>correct.
>>    
>>
>
>The original reason I started doing it that way was I had a couple of
>songs whose verses came after their refrain, and I had no actual
>understanding of how Voices work, or that they didn't nest, or anything
>like that. :)  Your suggestion won't quite work for the refrain-verse
>structure I note, but there are others that will.
>  
>
I forgot to mention that the stanza and lyrics alignment is correct when
I try your original example with version 2.7, so you can consider it a bug
in 2.6.

>  
>
>>>3) The metadata permitted in \header seems ill-suited for a lot of the
>>>stuff I'm typing in (old churchy stuff, mostly).  [...]
>>>      
>>>
>>I usually don't bother so much about the names of the different fields.
>>Often, you can use a field like poet for something else. Note also that
>>you can easily specify several lines for each field using text markup,
>>for example
>>poet = \markup{\column \line {Aaaa Bbbb, v1,3} \line{Cccc Dddd, v2,4 }}
>>    
>>
>
>Ah, didn't realise that.  I'm kind of a metadata snob, and I hate mixing
>content and presentation like that, but if that's the way to do it
>that's what I'll do. :)
>  
>

The purist solution, of course, is to redefine the functions that
typeset the
titling. Then you can use any field names you wish. See the end of
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/lilypond/Creating-titles.html#Creating-titles
for more information.

   /Mats



_______________________________________________
lilypond-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-devel