Re: LSR status?

Graham Percival

On 31-May-05, at 12:56 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Sebastiano Vigna wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 12:21 -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
>>> IIRC, there was the possibility of including a snapshot of LSR with
>>> LilyPond.  Or at least including the snapshots of LSR that didn't
>>> come from the manual.
>> There are file-based snapshots of the snippets, and a dump of the
>> database created nightly. Probably at this point (~100 snippets) we
>> can
>> wait for that.

Hmm... it may be a bit late to ask now, but is it possible to give
snippets
various tags?  ie could we identify all snippets that came from the
manual,
or snippets from input/test/, or misc contributed snippets?

In the future (say, by the end of summer -- a few months away), I'd
like to
remove the input/test/ "Tips and tricks"; instead, we'd include a
snapshot
of the snippets in LSR.  I don't think we need to include the LSR
snippets
that came from the manual, though.

Alternately, we could just remove input/test and advertise LSR more --
if a
user wants to download some snippets, they can do that on their own, but
we don't distribute "tips and tricks" with the main docs.

Thoughts?

Re: LSR status?

Mats Bengtsson-6
I would very much appreciate if this collection of examples was
included in the distribution. When looking for solutions to different
LilyPond questions, I very often start by doing
grep xxx input/*/*.ly
i.e. I do a search in all the Tips&Tricks and Regression Tests input
files. I certainly know about the search facilities in LSR, but I
still prefer using old-fashioned 'grep'.

    /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:

> On 31-May-05, at 12:56 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>
>> Sebastiano Vigna wrote:

>>> There are file-based snapshots of the snippets, and a dump of the
>>> database created nightly. Probably at this point (~100 snippets) we can
>>> wait for that.
>

> Hmm... it may be a bit late to ask now, but is it possible to give snippets
> various tags?  ie could we identify all snippets that came from the manual,
> or snippets from input/test/, or misc contributed snippets?
>
> In the future (say, by the end of summer -- a few months away), I'd like to
> remove the input/test/ "Tips and tricks"; instead, we'd include a snapshot
> of the snippets in LSR.  I don't think we need to include the LSR snippets
> that came from the manual, though.
>
> Alternately, we could just remove input/test and advertise LSR more -- if a
> user wants to download some snippets, they can do that on their own, but
> we don't distribute "tips and tricks" with the main docs.
>
> Thoughts?
> - Graham

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: LSR status?

Graham Percival
That's why I suggested that we encourage people to download the
snippet database.  It comes as a tarball of the snippets (each saved
in a different file; I assume just like input/*/*.ly ).  It should be
just as
easy to search that.

We could even make semi-official snippet collections -- instead of
simply having nightly tarballs, we could have occasional
"snippet releases".  Or just include a nightly tarball with each
lilypond
release.

It just seems that LSR is a nicer way to maintain "tips and tricks" than
the current input/test/ .  AFAIK, nobody's really maintaining
input/test/
(I should probably be, but I haven't looked at it in ages), and we
certainly don't get contributions from non-CVS committers.  I believe
that LSR _does_ get user contributions.  And it's certainly easier for
a user to add stuff to LSR than it is to get it into input/test/ .

If we could eliminate input/test/  while maintaining a bunch of
greppable
snippets, would you be in favor?

Graham Percival wrote:

> That's why I suggested that we encourage people to download the
> snippet database.  It comes as a tarball of the snippets (each saved
> in a different file; I assume just like input/*/*.ly ).  It should be
> just as
> easy to search that.
>
> We could even make semi-official snippet collections -- instead of
> simply having nightly tarballs, we could have occasional
> "snippet releases".  Or just include a nightly tarball with each lilypond
> release.
>
> It just seems that LSR is a nicer way to maintain "tips and tricks" than
> the current input/test/ .  AFAIK, nobody's really maintaining input/test/
> (I should probably be, but I haven't looked at it in ages), and we
> certainly don't get contributions from non-CVS committers.  I believe
> that LSR _does_ get user contributions.  And it's certainly easier for
> a user to add stuff to LSR than it is to get it into input/test/ .
>
> If we could eliminate input/test/  while maintaining a bunch of greppable
> snippets, would you be in favor?

Of course!

Re: LSR status?

Graham Percival

On 7-Jun-05, at 2:59 AM, Simon Bailey wrote:
> i'm sorry if this goes slightly off topic, but what are the rulings for
> contributing snippets to LSR? i have one or two useful little hacks i
> cobbled
> together for myself which may be useful for other people -- is the LSR
> the right
> place to submit these things without asking or requiring approval?

Yes, absolutely!  Please do.

Re: LSR status?

Graham Percival

On 7-Jun-05, at 4:22 AM, Simon Bailey wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 03:36:28AM -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
>>> place to submit these things without asking or requiring approval?
>>
>> Yes, absolutely!  Please do.
>
> hmm, the first one's in (Caesura ("railtracks") with fermata) -- it
> works for me in my local installation (2.5.23), but it's not showing
> properly in the LSR. what version of lilypond does the LSR use?

I believe that it's still on 2.4.x.

Sebastiano, are there plans to move to 2.5 (or 2.6) soon?

Re: LSR status?

vigna
On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 17:09 -0700, Graham Percival wrote:

> Sebastiano, are there plans to move to 2.5 (or 2.6) soon?
> - Graham

2.6, when it is out. I'm sorry for not following the discussion on
snippets, but I'm a bit out of the loop as I'm very busy with some
research.

Adding input/test is on the list. Some of it is in, but not all.

--
Ciao,

                                        seba