Re:Chords in LilyPond

Peter Gentry

I have been intrigued by the highly technical correspondence on this topic.  However I have struggled to understand what is being discussed.

A bit of googling has shed some light http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/muset/guido/section3.html for instance but other sources are even more technical. I was particularly thrown by the term “semantics” this is a slippery customer that seems to mean different things in different contexts.

In the link above it is simply a recipe for how to populate various properties or parameters if not explicitly defined.

ie  Semantics:

  • If size or style are not specified when using \noteFormat, their current settings remain unaffected. If not modified using \noteFormat, the default settings are size=1.0, style="standard".
  • The specified parameters are applied to all notes within the range of \noteFormat, or, if no range is specified, until (i) the next \noteFormat tag changing that parameter or (ii) the end of the current voice.

Other links such as http://motools.sourceforge.net/chord_draft_1/chord.html describe in some detail the structure of chords beyond the simple C G7 etc descriptions including where a strong note outside the “normal” chord members is employed often by a solo instrument.

All this is way outside by musical knowledge whilst interesting it is difficult to understand.

Am I correct in seeing “semantics” in this way ?

Re: Chords in LilyPond

Carl Sorensen-3
On 5/29/17 5:58 AM, "Peter Gentry" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have been intrigued by the highly technical correspondence on this
>topic.  However I have struggled to understand what is being discussed.
<snip>

>Other links such as
>http://motools.sourceforge.net/chord_draft_1/chord.html describe in some
>detail the structure of chords beyond the simple C G7 etc descriptions
>including where a strong note outside the ³normal² chord members is
>employed often by a solo instrument.
>All this is way outside by musical knowledge whilst interesting it is
>difficult to understand.

This proposal for a chord ontology is one possible choice for assigning
semantics, although I don't like it at all.  As you say, it is very
technical, and doesn't really help with meaning, in my opinion.

>Am I correct in seeing ³semantics² in this way ?

"Semantics" is a discussion of meaning.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/semantics

"the meaning or relationship of meanings of a sign
<https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sign#h1> or set of signs;
especially : connotative
<https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/connotative> meaning"

When we talk of "semantics", we talk of the meaning of the notes in the
chord.  At its most basic, a chord is a group of notes played
simultaneously.  In the context of western music, the notes in the chord
are selected to achieve a particular kind of harmonic progression.  We can
look at music theory and see that each chord has a particular reason for
being part of the music in relation to the preceding and succeeding
chords.  So for example see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_progression

The aim of the Chords GSOC project is to try to capture the harmonic
meaning intended by the music, not just the notes.  And that's what is
meant by "semantics" in the context of this project.

HTH,

Carl

Re: Chords in LilyPond

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Peter,

> I have struggled to understand what is being discussed.

Sorry for that. Hopefully, when the project is *implemented*, the user interface won’t provide a barrier to understanding.

> Am I correct in seeing “semantics” in this way ?

We are using semantics in the sense of “what does the chord mean?”. In a simple example, consider the chords

  <c e g a>

Is this a C major triad with added 6th, or an A minor 7th chord in first inversion? The notes in each are the same, but the meaning is different.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.