Re: Accidentals and Ledger Lines

Malte Meyn-3
[Forwarding to bug-lilypond]

Hi foxfanfare,

Am 05.09.18 um 11:07 schrieb foxfanfare:
> As you can see, the ledger line of the note containing the accidental is
> shortned as expected, but the other aren't and you can see here the natural
> appears too close.

that’s true, neighbouring ledger lines should be shortened in some
cases. LilyPond’s documentation advertises the ledger line shortening
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/essay/engraving-details#ledger-lines),
IMHO that’s a good reason why it should really work ;)

> I can fix this by moving the accidental with \once \override
> Accidental.X-offset = #-1.25, see:
>
> accidentals2.JPG
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5604/accidentals2.JPG>
>
> But this tweak has to be done every time... My question is: is it possible
> to add more padding between ledger lines and accidentals? I tried many
> combinations but nothing worked so far...

Of course you could use \override instead of \once \override but of
course that’s not optimal, therefore I’m forwarding this to the bug
list. The following code shows in which cases also a neighbouring ledger
line should be shortened and where there are ledger lines that are
shortened but shouldn’t be.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
   \new Staff \relative c''' {
     \set Score.extraNatural = ##f
     ceses feses % feses: no need for shortening
     ceseh feseh % feseh: no need for shortening
     ces fes     % fes:   no need for shortening
     ceh feh     % ok
     c! f!       % both: more shortening needed
     cih fih     % ok
     cis fis     % ok
     cisih fisih % ok
     cisis fisis % ok
   }
   \new Staff \relative {
     aeses eeses % ok
     aeseh eeseh % ok
     as es       % ok
     aeh eeh     % both:  more shortening needed
     a! e!       % a:     more shortening needed
     aih eih     % aih:   more shortening needed
     ais eis     % ais:   more shortening needed
     aisih eisih % aisih: more shortening needed
     aisis eisis % ok
   }

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Re: Accidentals and Ledger Lines

foxfanfare
Malte Meyn-3 wrote
> Of course you could use \override instead of \once \override but of
> course that’s not optimal, therefore I’m forwarding this to the bug
> list. The following code shows in which cases also a neighbouring ledger
> line should be shortened and where there are ledger lines that are
> shortened but shouldn’t be.

Thanks for answering and listing all the possibilities. Actually, I can't
set an override for the whole piece, because the accidental is moved from a
fixed point relative to the note. Result is a bug in chords:

\version "2.19.81"

\new Staff
\relative c' {
  <fis bis dis>1 |
}
\relative c' {
  \override Score.Accidental.X-offset = #-1.25
  <fis bis dis>1 |
}

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5604/accidentals.jpg>

--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Bugs-f58488.html

Re: Accidentals and Ledger Lines

Noeck
Thanks for the examples. There is at least one special case missing from
the examples: chords on ledger lines.

In chords, the ledger lines closer to the staff are not shortened. Two
assumptions: either they are over-printed by the ledger lines of the
lower (more distant) note or their shortening is overwritten by the
other note's settings. In any case they are not shortened.

{
  <disis cisis'>4^"upper ledger line not shortended"
  cisis'!4_"shortened"

Joram

Am 06.09.18 um 10:04 schrieb Noeck:

> Thanks for the examples. There is at least one special case missing from
> the examples: chords on ledger lines.
>
> In chords, the ledger lines closer to the staff are not shortened. Two
> assumptions: either they are over-printed by the ledger lines of the
> lower (more distant) note or their shortening is overwritten by the
> other note's settings. In any case they are not shortened.
>
> {
>    <disis cisis'>4^"upper ledger line not shortended"
>    cisis'!4_"shortened"
> }
>
> Cheers,
> Joram

That’s even worse than I thought. I wish I had time to tackle that
issue. Not before mid of october …