Re: 2.6.3 midi2ly: bad midi module location

Re: 2.6.3 midi2ly: bad midi module location

Graham Percival-2
Thanks for this info!  The problem (and solution) appears on
OSX 10.3.9 as well.

Developers, can we modify  scripts/midi2ly.py  accordingly?

- Graham

On 18-Aug-05, at 7:21 AM, John Mandereau wrote:

> When I tried to run 2.6.3 midi2ly on Fedora Core 4, I got:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/midi2ly", line 42, in ?
>     import midi
> ImportError: No module named midi
>
> I fixed it:
> I opened midi2ly.py and edited these lines:
>
> libdir = '/usr/lib/lilypond/2.6.3'
> if not os.path.isdir (libdir):
>        libdir = '/usr/lib/lilypond/2.6.3'
> sys.path.insert (0, os.path.join (libdir, 'python'))
>
> I replaced 'lib' with 'share' and saved the file, then it worked!
>
> This bug may also happen on other platforms (it happens with Windows
> native version, but it won't work anyway, because there is no midi lib)
> --
> John Mandereau <[hidden email]>

Re: 2.6.3 midi2ly: bad midi module location

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Graham Percival wrote:
> Thanks for this info!  The problem (and solution) appears on
> OSX 10.3.9 as well.
>
> Developers, can we modify  scripts/midi2ly.py  accordingly?
>
> - Graham

Actually, I'm not sure what the status of this issue is. Technically,
architecture independent stuff should go into  /usr/share and binary
libs in /usr/lib/ . Unfortunately, python puts everything in one
directory. Maybe we should install into both share/ and lib/

On 25-Aug-05, at 9:15 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote:
>> Thanks for this info!  The problem (and solution) appears on
>> OSX 10.3.9 as well.
>> Developers, can we modify  scripts/midi2ly.py  accordingly?
>> - Graham
>
> Actually, I'm not sure what the status of this issue is. Technically,
> architecture independent stuff should go into  /usr/share and binary
> libs in /usr/lib/ . Unfortunately, python puts everything in one
> directory. Maybe we should install into both share/ and lib/

Well, technically aren't the fonts architecture independent stuff, too?
  I don't
have any lily still in /usr/lib/  (I can tell because I'm using the
--prefix=$HOME/usr/pkg/lilypond/   trick; no *lib* in there.)

I think that the overall "where things get installed" design is
separate from
having a working midi2ly.  Why not change midi2ly.py to point to share/
for
now, and if we split things into /usr/share/ and /usr/lib/ later, change
midi2ly then.