RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

12

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

Noeck
> I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now, so I know what you mean - there
> /used /to be a pull down/GNOME menu, but I haven't seen it since 12.10.

Ah, I still use 12.04.
There I had the choice between Ubuntu and Ubuntu2D and the gnome-options
came with the gnome-panel package. I know that Ubuntu 2D has been
removed, so probably that's the reason why do not have any choice.

Joram

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

Shane Brandes
apt get xfce or gnome, that will solve that issue.
Shane

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Noeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now, so I know what you mean - there
> /used /to be a pull down/GNOME menu, but I haven't seen it since 12.10.

Ah, I still use 12.04.
There I had the choice between Ubuntu and Ubuntu2D and the gnome-options
came with the gnome-panel package. I know that Ubuntu 2D has been
removed, so probably that's the reason why do not have any choice.

Joram

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
Which is preferred something "simple" like this? Is there really no other way to prevent this mile-long menu bug in Frescobaldi/LilyPond on Ubuntu 12.10?

Thanks.

Shane Brandes wrote

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
Ok

I installed Gnome and tried GNOME, GNOME classic, and GNOME no effects.

All GNOME and Unity still show the menu bug so I guess it's the way it has to be for now.
I'll just learn keyboard shortcuts :)

Ben

SoundsFromSound wrote
Which is preferred something "simple" like this? Is there really no other way to prevent this mile-long menu bug in Frescobaldi/LilyPond on Ubuntu 12.10?

Thanks.

Shane Brandes wrote
apt get xfce or gnome, that will solve that issue.
Shane

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Noeck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now, so I know what you mean -
> there
> > /used /to be a pull down/GNOME menu, but I haven't seen it since 12.10.
>
> Ah, I still use 12.04.
> There I had the choice between Ubuntu and Ubuntu2D and the gnome-options
> came with the gnome-panel package. I know that Ubuntu 2D has been
> removed, so probably that's the reason why do not have any choice.
>
> Joram

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

Nick Payne-3
On 12/01/13 16:44, SoundsFromSound wrote:
Ok

I installed Gnome and tried GNOME, GNOME classic, and GNOME no effects.

All GNOME and Unity still show the menu bug so I guess it's the way it has
to be for now.
I'll just learn keyboard shortcuts :)

You could try the Cinnamon desktop. I'm using Mint 14, which is basically Ubuntu 12.10 with Cinnamon as the desktop, and I don't see that menu bug. You can install Cinnamon on Ubuntu:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

and then logout and choose Cinnamon as the desktop manager at the login screen.

Nick

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

m.tarenskeen

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013, Nick Payne wrote:

> On 12/01/13 16:44, SoundsFromSound wrote:
>
> Ok
>
> I installed Gnome and tried GNOME, GNOME classic, and GNOME no effects.
>
> All GNOME and Unity still show the menu bug so I guess it's the way it has
> to be for now.
> I'll just learn keyboard shortcuts :)
>

> You could try the Cinnamon desktop. I'm using Mint 14, which is basically Ubuntu 12.10 with Cinnamon as the desktop, and
> I don't see that menu bug. You can install Cinnamon on Ubuntu:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install cinnamon

Slightly off-topic, but:

Has anyone tried the MATE desktop yet ?

BTW:

I have not yet seen a single person who really likes Unity, Gnome3, or
Windows 8. To name just a few "innovative" products for a "better desktop
experience (blablabla)"

--

MT

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

Federico Bruni
Il 12/01/2013 07:28, Martin Tarenskeen ha scritto:

> I have not yet seen a single person who really likes Unity, Gnome3, or
> Windows 8. To name just a few "innovative" products for a "better
> desktop experience (blablabla)"

I really like Gnome3 :-)
Never tried the others
--
Federico

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
Yea, I do have a Linux Mint laptop and I believe I have not seen this bug on that machine, though I haven't touched it in a while.  I didn't know you could use Cinnamon on Ubuntu though, that's awesome. Trying it out now, thank you for the tip!

MATE is ok, to each their own...I noticed it runs better on older machines but imo Cinnamon is the future of Mint.

Ben

Nick Payne-3 wrote
On 12/01/13 16:44, SoundsFromSound wrote:
> Ok
>
> I installed Gnome and tried GNOME, GNOME classic, and GNOME no effects.
>
> All GNOME and Unity still show the menu bug so I guess it's the way it has
> to be for now.
> I'll just learn keyboard shortcuts :)

You could try the Cinnamon desktop. I'm using Mint 14, which is
basically Ubuntu 12.10 with Cinnamon as the desktop, and I don't see
that menu bug. You can install Cinnamon on Ubuntu:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

and then logout and choose Cinnamon as the desktop manager at the login
screen.

Nick

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
Hmm, I can't get this to work.  It's installed OK and I choose it from the pull down login menu, signed in, but Unity is still there, nothing looks any different and the bug is still present.  How do you "load" Cinnamon once it's installed, because selecting it from the login screen (for me) does nothing.

Thanks for the help.
Ben

Nick Payne-3 wrote
On 12/01/13 16:44, SoundsFromSound wrote:
> Ok
>
> I installed Gnome and tried GNOME, GNOME classic, and GNOME no effects.
>
> All GNOME and Unity still show the menu bug so I guess it's the way it has
> to be for now.
> I'll just learn keyboard shortcuts :)

You could try the Cinnamon desktop. I'm using Mint 14, which is
basically Ubuntu 12.10 with Cinnamon as the desktop, and I don't see
that menu bug. You can install Cinnamon on Ubuntu:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

and then logout and choose Cinnamon as the desktop manager at the login
screen.

Nick

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
Disregard: apologies.
For some reason Ubuntu was not accepting my "OK" click on the button after selecting Cinnamon.  Not sure what happened, but after a reboot - it's working great now - thank you again!

Ben

SoundsFromSound wrote