RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

12

RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
Hi there,

Everything has been fine up until tonight when I installed RUMOR for MIDI w/ LilyPond.  See attached picture: it seems like there are massive duplicates showing up each time the program is opened - it won't stop - and I'd prefer to keep RUMOR installed because it's awesome.

Anyone know how to fix this Frescobaldi/LilyPond "glitch"?  Thank you!

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

martinwguy
On 7 January 2013 00:20, SoundsFromSound <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Everything has been fine up until tonight when I installed RUMOR for MIDI w/
> LilyPond.  See attached picture: it seems like there are massive duplicates
> showing up each time the program is opened - it won't stop - and I'd prefer
> to keep RUMOR installed because it's awesome.

Woo! That's worrying! :)

I've tried to reproduce this (by installing frescobaldi then rumor on
Ubuntu) but get the usual  8-item "Insert" menu.  It looks (from the
font!) like you are using Ubuntu too.

It could be a frescobaldi bug, but it looks so bizzarre as to suggest
system corruption.
A couple of ideas to narrow down on the problem:
* To test for corruption of user data (like in .config/frescobaldi)
you can try creating a new user and running your test as that user. If
it runs the same, then it's not that.
* To test for main filesystem corruption you can try:
apt-get install --reinstall frescobaldi lilypond rumor

Can you be more explicit about the exact steps to follow to reproduce this bug?

Cheers

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
Thank you so much for the reply.  I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed, very few apps other than the usual: Synaptic, Inkscape, LilyPond/Frescobaldi, etc.

All I did was install Rumor and poof - these appeared, no other items I can think of that could be the cause.  Should I install-reinstall Rumor?  I don't think Ubuntu is corrupt, but perhaps the Rumor install was?

I don't even see Rumor anywhere in Frescobaldi - no window/panel, nothing.

Hmm -

Thoughts?

martinwguy wrote
On 7 January 2013 00:20, SoundsFromSound <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Everything has been fine up until tonight when I installed RUMOR for MIDI w/
> LilyPond.  See attached picture: it seems like there are massive duplicates
> showing up each time the program is opened - it won't stop - and I'd prefer
> to keep RUMOR installed because it's awesome.

Woo! That's worrying! :)

I've tried to reproduce this (by installing frescobaldi then rumor on
Ubuntu) but get the usual  8-item "Insert" menu.  It looks (from the
font!) like you are using Ubuntu too.

It could be a frescobaldi bug, but it looks so bizzarre as to suggest
system corruption.
A couple of ideas to narrow down on the problem:
* To test for corruption of user data (like in .config/frescobaldi)
you can try creating a new user and running your test as that user. If
it runs the same, then it's not that.
* To test for main filesystem corruption you can try:
apt-get install --reinstall frescobaldi lilypond rumor

Can you be more explicit about the exact steps to follow to reproduce this bug?

Cheers

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

Brett Duncan-2
On 7/01/13 6:11 PM, SoundsFromSound wrote:
Thank you so much for the reply.  I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed, very few
apps other than the usual: Synaptic, Inkscape, LilyPond/Frescobaldi, etc.

All I did was install Rumor and poof - these appeared, no other items I can
think of that could be the cause.  Should I install-reinstall Rumor?  I
don't think Ubuntu is corrupt, but perhaps the Rumor install was?

I don't even see Rumor anywhere in Frescobaldi - no window/panel, nothing.

Hmm -

Thoughts?

I'm seeing the same problem. I set up Ubuntu 12.10 today as a virtual machine on my MacBook (I was running into problems trying to set up Frescobaldi on MacOSX) and installed Frescobaldi using the Ubuntu Software Centre.

It appears that each time I select something on any menu, a copy of the Insert menu is appended to the end of itself.

I do not have Rumor installed.

Regards,
Brett

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

David Kastrup
Brett Duncan <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 7/01/13 6:11 PM, SoundsFromSound wrote:
>
>     Thank you so much for the reply.  I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed, very few
> apps other than the usual: Synaptic, Inkscape, LilyPond/Frescobaldi, etc.
>
> All I did was install Rumor and poof - these appeared, no other items I can
> think of that could be the cause.  Should I install-reinstall Rumor?  I
> don't think Ubuntu is corrupt, but perhaps the Rumor install was?
>
> I don't even see Rumor anywhere in Frescobaldi - no window/panel, nothing.
>
> Hmm -
>
> Thoughts?
>
> I'm seeing the same problem. I set up Ubuntu 12.10 today as a virtual
> machine on my MacBook (I was running into problems trying to set up
> Frescobaldi on MacOSX) and installed Frescobaldi using the Ubuntu
> Software Centre.
>
> It appears that each time I select something on any menu, a copy of
> the Insert menu is appended to the end of itself.
>
> I do not have Rumor installed.

Try creating a new user account and see if the problem occurs in there.
I seem to remember that some version of gtk or GNOME and/or other
libraries needed some declarations in some init file that might be
poisonous for later versions.  If you have some leftovers of that kind
responsible here, a fresh user account should not show these symptoms.

If this is indeed so, it at least narrows down the search somewhat.

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

Noeck
Hi,

I also saw that with Frescobaldi under ubuntu (with the default unity
desktop). It might be connected to the global menu of unity, because it
never occured with the gnome-panel interface, I am using now instead of
unity.

Cheers,
Joram

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
OK, I'll try making a new user and see if that fixes it.  Thanks!

David Kastrup wrote
Brett Duncan <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 7/01/13 6:11 PM, SoundsFromSound wrote:
>
>     Thank you so much for the reply.  I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed, very few
> apps other than the usual: Synaptic, Inkscape, LilyPond/Frescobaldi, etc.
>
> All I did was install Rumor and poof - these appeared, no other items I can
> think of that could be the cause.  Should I install-reinstall Rumor?  I
> don't think Ubuntu is corrupt, but perhaps the Rumor install was?
>
> I don't even see Rumor anywhere in Frescobaldi - no window/panel, nothing.
>
> Hmm -
>
> Thoughts?
>
> I'm seeing the same problem. I set up Ubuntu 12.10 today as a virtual
> machine on my MacBook (I was running into problems trying to set up
> Frescobaldi on MacOSX) and installed Frescobaldi using the Ubuntu
> Software Centre.
>
> It appears that each time I select something on any menu, a copy of
> the Insert menu is appended to the end of itself.
>
> I do not have Rumor installed.

Try creating a new user account and see if the problem occurs in there.
I seem to remember that some version of gtk or GNOME and/or other
libraries needed some declarations in some init file that might be
poisonous for later versions.  If you have some leftovers of that kind
responsible here, a fresh user account should not show these symptoms.

If this is indeed so, it at least narrows down the search somewhat.

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
David:

I added two new users, one at a time, and tried them all.  All accounts show this error in Frescobaldi / LilyPond.  One admin account and two regular accounts.

Any ideas how I can fix this? It's so bad that every time I click the mouse on any menu options of any menu in Frescobaldi, it duplicates the entire menu lol and it's like 5 ft long down off the screen lol

Thanks!

David Kastrup wrote
Brett Duncan <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 7/01/13 6:11 PM, SoundsFromSound wrote:
>
>     Thank you so much for the reply.  I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed, very few
> apps other than the usual: Synaptic, Inkscape, LilyPond/Frescobaldi, etc.
>
> All I did was install Rumor and poof - these appeared, no other items I can
> think of that could be the cause.  Should I install-reinstall Rumor?  I
> don't think Ubuntu is corrupt, but perhaps the Rumor install was?
>
> I don't even see Rumor anywhere in Frescobaldi - no window/panel, nothing.
>
> Hmm -
>
> Thoughts?
>
> I'm seeing the same problem. I set up Ubuntu 12.10 today as a virtual
> machine on my MacBook (I was running into problems trying to set up
> Frescobaldi on MacOSX) and installed Frescobaldi using the Ubuntu
> Software Centre.
>
> It appears that each time I select something on any menu, a copy of
> the Insert menu is appended to the end of itself.
>
> I do not have Rumor installed.

Try creating a new user account and see if the problem occurs in there.
I seem to remember that some version of gtk or GNOME and/or other
libraries needed some declarations in some init file that might be
poisonous for later versions.  If you have some leftovers of that kind
responsible here, a fresh user account should not show these symptoms.

If this is indeed so, it at least narrows down the search somewhat.

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
Oh and I just found this!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/frescobaldi/+bug/1058911

I guess it's a bug...from a few months back?

SoundsFromSound <[hidden email]> writes:

> David:
>
> I added two new users, one at a time, and tried them all.  All accounts show
> this error in Frescobaldi / LilyPond.  One admin account and two regular
> accounts.

Ok, that means at least that this is not a problem of your _personal_
account configuration.  Somebody suggested it might be a problem
connected with Unity.  Can you try selecting some sort of "fallback
session" or "GNOME session" or whatever while logging in?  Depending on
what packages you have installed, something other than the default might
be on offer on the login screen.

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound <[hidden email]> writes:

> Oh and I just found this!
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/frescobaldi/+bug/1058911
>
> I guess it's a bug...from a few months back?

That's nothing.

Try
<URL:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xpdf/+bug/943195>
and this is not the first time _that_ bug occured.  About 2 out of 3
Ubuntu releases in the last four years have had a version of xpdf that
crashed on opening _any_ PDF file.

So if you are interested in progress, try engaging Wilbert with dealing
with the bug.  Or maybe try one of the versions on
<URL:http://frescobaldi.org/links#distros>.  Ubuntu has a lousy track
record of fixing things when something involving the compilation of the
package goes wrong and the package is not of first-tier interest.

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound

-----
composer | sound designer
composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
Got it, sounds good! Thanks David! I'm on it.

David Kastrup wrote

On 7 January 2013 13:51, Noeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also saw that with Frescobaldi under ubuntu (with the default unity
> desktop). It might be connected to the global menu of unity, because it
> never occured with the gnome-panel interface

Confirmed. I use gnome and couldn't see it. Switch to guest session
(unity, hardly ever used) and poof! each clik on Insert adds all the
items to the menu.

At https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/frescobaldi/+bug/1058911
you can log in and hit "this bug affects me too" to increase the
priority of that bug.

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
I am on Ubuntu 12.10 - how can I log in as anything other than the default Unity? I have no pull-down menus or options on my generic/default login screen with my user name.  It just logs me in w/ a password, as normal.

Thanks for the help! I'd really like to avoid/fix this bug...it's killing my workflow.
;)

martinwguy wrote
On 7 January 2013 13:51, Noeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also saw that with Frescobaldi under ubuntu (with the default unity
> desktop). It might be connected to the global menu of unity, because it
> never occured with the gnome-panel interface

Confirmed. I use gnome and couldn't see it. Switch to guest session
(unity, hardly ever used) and poof! each clik on Insert adds all the
items to the menu.

At https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/frescobaldi/+bug/1058911
you can log in and hit "this bug affects me too" to increase the
priority of that bug.

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

David Kastrup
SoundsFromSound <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am on Ubuntu 12.10 - how can I log in as anything other than the default
> Unity? I have no pull-down menus or options on my generic/default login
> screen with my user name.

There is sort of a star on the login window in the shape of a man.
Click it.

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
I'm sorry but this does not work.  The "man" icon only shows:

Onscreen Keyboard
High Contrast
Screen Reader

How should I proceed?

Am 10.01.2013 05:29, schrieb SoundsFromSound:
> I'm sorry but this does not work.  The "man" icon only shows:
>
> Onscreen Keyboard
> High Contrast
> Screen Reader
>
> How should I proceed?

The "man" is something else.

Try the circle (Ubuntu icon) or footprint (Gnome icon) right next to
your user name. That should give you a choice of desktops environments.
You could try Gnome classic or Ubuntu 2D if that's in the list.

I do not have this problem with the package gnome-panel, which restores
the pre-unity look.

Cheers,
Joram

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

SoundsFromSound
I promise you, I've tried clicking my entire login screen, on 12.10 and there is nothing to interact with.  Just the upper panel/bar with the man icon, keyboard, date, etc.  and my login name/password.

I've clicked all around.
What am I missing?
I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now, so I know what you mean - there used to be a pull down/GNOME menu, but I haven't seen it since 12.10.
Maybe I have to install something to enable it now? :\

Thanks!

Noeck wrote
Am 10.01.2013 05:29, schrieb SoundsFromSound:
> I'm sorry but this does not work.  The "man" icon only shows:
>
> Onscreen Keyboard
> High Contrast
> Screen Reader
>
> How should I proceed?

The "man" is something else.

Try the circle (Ubuntu icon) or footprint (Gnome icon) right next to
your user name. That should give you a choice of desktops environments.
You could try Gnome classic or Ubuntu 2D if that's in the list.

I do not have this problem with the package gnome-panel, which restores
the pre-unity look.

Cheers,
Joram

composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond video tutorials: http://bit.ly/LearnLilyPond

Re: RUMOR Midi utility & Frescobaldi - Menu Error?

David Kastrup
SoundsFromSound <[hidden email]> writes:

> I promise you, I've tried clicking my entire login screen, on 12.10 and there
> is nothing to interact with.  Just the upper panel/bar with the man icon,
> keyboard, date, etc.  and my login name/password.
>
> I've clicked all around.
> What am I missing?
> I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now, so I know what you mean - there
> /used /to be a pull down/GNOME menu, but I haven't seen it since 12.10.
> Maybe I have to install something to enable it now? :\

Maybe

sudo apt-get install gnome-session

or so?  It would likely install what it needs to run, and that would
hopefully include some selector on the login screen.

12