[RFC] weekly dev chats

janek.lilypond
Hello,

I just got inspired by the Agile Manifesto Principles[1], specifically:
> The most efficient and effective method of
> conveying information to and within a development
> team is face-to-face conversation.

This reminded me how dynamic, positive and motivating were the LP talks in
Salzburg. To get more of such energy I suggest to have weekly dev
"meetings". Since not everyone would be able to participate (at least
regularly), no binding decisions should be made there, but I'm quite sure
it'll be helpful in getting better understanding and common perspective
across the community.

I'd be willing to organize and moderate the meetings (take care of
preparing the agenda and sharing the take-aways with the devel list). I
know that it'd be a challenge to find a time that will work for people from
different timezones, but I'll figure somethig out (have some ideas already).

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Janek

[1] https://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html

Re: [RFC] weekly dev chats

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Janek,

> I suggest to have weekly dev "meetings".

If they are at a time when I’m available, I’d be more than happy to be involved.

Regardless, it’s a great idea — in fact, I was in the middle of drafting an email to suggest it when your email came through.  =)

Cheers,
Kieren.
________________________________

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: [hidden email]

Re: [RFC] weekly dev chats

Janek Warchoł <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I just got inspired by the Agile Manifesto Principles[1], specifically:
>> The most efficient and effective method of
>> conveying information to and within a development
>> team is face-to-face conversation.
>
> This reminded me how dynamic, positive and motivating were the LP talks in
> Salzburg. To get more of such energy I suggest to have weekly dev
> "meetings". Since not everyone would be able to participate (at least
> regularly), no binding decisions should be made there, but I'm quite sure
> it'll be helpful in getting better understanding and common perspective
> across the community.
>
> I'd be willing to organize and moderate the meetings (take care of
> preparing the agenda and sharing the take-aways with the devel list). I
> know that it'd be a challenge to find a time that will work for people from
> different timezones, but I'll figure somethig out (have some ideas already).
>
> Thumbs up or thumbs down?

What kind of meeting were you thinking of?  IRC/Chat?  Voice?  And/or
video?

Re: [RFC] weekly dev chats

janek.lilypond
sob., 8 lut 2020 o 23:56 David Kastrup <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> Janek Warchoł <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I'd be willing to organize and moderate the meetings (take care of
> > preparing the agenda and sharing the take-aways with the devel list). I
> > know that it'd be a challenge to find a time that will work for people
> from
> > different timezones, but I'll figure somethig out (have some ideas
> already).
> >
> > Thumbs up or thumbs down?
>
> What kind of meeting were you thinking of?  IRC/Chat?  Voice?  And/or
> video?

Right, I should have clarified that. I'm thinking about voice call. (Video
call would be great but I expect it may result in more problems than
benefits.)

Thanks for asking!
Janek

Re: [RFC] weekly dev chats

David Kastrup
Janek Warchoł <[hidden email]> writes:

> sob., 8 lut 2020 o 23:56 David Kastrup <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
>
>> Janek Warchoł <[hidden email]> writes:
>> > I'd be willing to organize and moderate the meetings (take care of
>> > preparing the agenda and sharing the take-aways with the devel list). I
>> > know that it'd be a challenge to find a time that will work for people
>> from
>> > different timezones, but I'll figure somethig out (have some ideas
>> already).
>> >
>> > Thumbs up or thumbs down?
>>
>> What kind of meeting were you thinking of?  IRC/Chat?  Voice?  And/or
>> video?
>>

> Right, I should have clarified that. I'm thinking about voice call. (Video
> call would be great but I expect it may result in more problems than
> benefits.)
>
> Thanks for asking!
> Janek

Found "Pidgin messenger" installed on my Ubuntu Studio.  It purports to
talk AIM, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, Groupwise, ICQ, IRC, Simple,
Sametime, XMPP and Zephyr.  No idea whether it does screencasts.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".

Re: [RFC] weekly dev chats

Joram Berger
> Found "Pidgin messenger" installed on my Ubuntu Studio.  It purports to
> talk AIM, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, Groupwise, ICQ, IRC, Simple,
> Sametime, XMPP and Zephyr.  No idea whether it does screencasts.

FWIW, I’ve had positive experiences with Jitsi:

https://jitsi.org/

It requires a modern (>2013) browser as it works via WebRTC,
platform-independent, open source (according to their website).
Audio/video calls and screen sharing is available and works (tried on
Ubuntu and Windows).
Cheers,
Joram