Question about abbreviations

Alasdair McAndrew
Hello,

I don't know if this is possible in Lilypond, so I'm asking the experts... In a bar of 3/4 time I might have, say: c4. c8 c4 - a very standard rhythm.  I remember once that in a score-writing system I used years ago, this could be abbreviated as c>c c.  I know that < > are used in Lilypond for chords - but is some other similar abbreviation possible?

Thanks,
Alasdair

Re: Question about abbreviations

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hi.

> Hello,
>
> I don't know if this is possible in Lilypond, so I'm asking the experts...
> In a bar of 3/4 time I might have, say: c4. c8 c4 - a very standard
> rhythm.  I remember once that in a score-writing system I used years ago,
> this could be abbreviated as c>c c.  I know that < > are used in Lilypond
> for chords - but is some other similar abbreviation possible?

You can define a variable

patOne = \relative c' { c4. c8 c4 }

then refer to it: \patOne

HTH,
Gilles

> Thanks,
> Alasdair
>

> --
> https://numbersandshapes.net

RE: Question about abbreviations

Timothy Lanfear

Provided you use a recent version of Lilypond, e.g. 2.20.0, the pitch is carried forward from the previous note and you can write c4. 8 4.

I don't know if this is possible in Lilypond, so I'm asking the experts... In a bar of 3/4 time I might have, say: c4. c8 c4 - a very standard rhythm.  I remember once that in a score-writing system I used years ago, this could be abbreviated as c>c c.  I know that < > are used in Lilypond for chords - but is some other similar abbreviation possible?

Thanks,

Alasdair

Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.

Re: Question about abbreviations

Jean-Julien Fleck
This might also be useful depending on what you are after: http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=654

Le jeu. 27 août 2020 à 11:34, Timothy Lanfear <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Provided you use a recent version of Lilypond, e.g. 2.20.0, the pitch is carried forward from the previous note and you can write c4. 8 4.

I don't know if this is possible in Lilypond, so I'm asking the experts... In a bar of 3/4 time I might have, say: c4. c8 c4 - a very standard rhythm.  I remember once that in a score-writing system I used years ago, this could be abbreviated as c>c c.  I know that < > are used in Lilypond for chords - but is some other similar abbreviation possible?

Thanks,

Alasdair

--
JJ Fleck