Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Andrew Bernard
I need to use the quarter tone sharp symbol in text. Does anybody know of any font that supports this? The Unicode is 1D132.

Andrew

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Andrew Bernard
OK. I am using it in markup. I found \semisharp, which answers the question.

Now, how to align the semisharp higher here:

{
  dih''''4
  ^\markup { "D"\semisharp }
}

Andrew

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 17:22, Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to use the quarter tone sharp symbol in text. Does anybody know of any font that supports this? The Unicode is 1D132.

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Jacques Menu Muzhic

  dih''''4
  ^\markup { \raise #-1 "D"\semisharp }
}

JM

Le 20 févr. 2019 à 07:29, Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> a écrit :

OK. I am using it in markup. I found \semisharp, which answers the question.

Now, how to align the semisharp higher here:

{
  dih''''4
  ^\markup { "D"\semisharp }
}

Andrew

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 17:22, Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to use the quarter tone sharp symbol in text. Does anybody know of any font that supports this? The Unicode is 1D132.

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Schneidy
Hi Andrew,
How about:

{
  dih''''4
  ^\markup\concat\vcenter { "D" \hspace #.2 \semisharp }

Pierre

Le mer. 20 févr. 2019 à 07:30, Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> a écrit :
OK. I am using it in markup. I found \semisharp, which answers the question.

Now, how to align the semisharp higher here:

{
  dih''''4
  ^\markup { "D"\semisharp }
}

Andrew

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 17:22, Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I need to use the quarter tone sharp symbol in text. Does anybody know of any font that supports this? The Unicode is 1D132.

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Andrew Bernard
Thank you Pierre. That also solves my problem in my code where these is too much space between the letter and the semisharp.

Appreciated!

Andrew

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 19:14, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

How about:

{
  dih''''4
  ^\markup\concat\vcenter { "D" \hspace #.2 \semisharp }

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

tisimst
Andrew,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 1:53 AM Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Pierre. That also solves my problem in my code where these is too much space between the letter and the semisharp.

Appreciated!

Andrew

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 19:14, Pierre Perol-Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

How about:

{
  dih''''4
  ^\markup\concat\vcenter { "D" \hspace #.2 \semisharp }
}

It is useful to note that you can access any music glyph by name, as explained here:

In your case, this is done with the following:

\markup { \musicglyph "accidentals.sharp.slashslash.stem" }

It's arguably shorter to just use the pre-constructed \semisharp syntax, but there isn't a shortcut for everything, so accessing them by name is always an option.

Best,
Abraham

Best,
Abraham

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Andrew Bernard
Hi Abraham,

I was in fact using markup, so this answer is excellent, and I eventually found \semisharp. But it actually came up when I wanted to use a semisharp in a text document, and I was surprised to find that although defined as Unicode 1D132, no font that I can find has a glyph at that code point.

Andrew

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 07:14, Abraham Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

It is useful to note that you can access any music glyph by name, as explained here:

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

David Wright
On Thu 21 Feb 2019 at 13:22:27 (+1100), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> I was in fact using markup, so this answer is excellent, and I eventually
> found \semisharp. But it actually came up when I wanted to use a semisharp
> in a text document, and I was surprised to find that although defined as
> Unicode 1D132, no font that I can find has a glyph at that code point.

I wish I knew how emacs performs its glyph substitution. My sampler
file gives up at 2b20 (white pentagon), but when I typed in 1d132 and
1d133, it certainly had a go, but was let down somewhat by the screen
resolution.

Cheers,
David.

emacs.png (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Werner LEMBERG

>> I was in fact using markup, so this answer is excellent, and I
>> eventually found \semisharp. But it actually came up when I wanted
>> to use a semisharp in a text document, and I was surprised to find
>> that although defined as Unicode 1D132, no font that I can find has
>> a glyph at that code point.
>
> I wish I knew how emacs performs its glyph substitution. My sampler
> file gives up at 2b20 (white pentagon), but when I typed in 1d132 and
> 1d133, it certainly had a go, but was let down somewhat by the screen
> resolution.

In Emacs, move the cursor to the interesting character, then press

  C-u C-x =

to see the current character's information.  For example, I get the
font

  -Free-Musica-normal-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1

for character U+1D132 (since I haven't a special font setup for Emacs,
it takes a loong time on my GNU/Linux box until this glyph gets
displayed – this is probably a bug in the Emacs version I use).

If I now say

  fc-list -v | less

I can search for `Musica', and I get font
`/usr/share/fonts/truetype/Musica.ttf' as the result.

Another solution to search for fonts that contain musical glyphs in
the U+1D1xx range is to say

  fc-list -v | grep -50 01d1: | less

If you see many `f's in the `01d1:' line chances are high that musical
glyphs are covered.  Such fonts could then be set up in Emacs for
covering the Unicode block.  On my box I additionally get `Symbola',
`Noto Sans Symbols', and `Ostrich Sans Bold' (the last one is a fake,
containing empty glyphs instead).

    Werner

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Andrew Bernard
HI Werner,

This is all great, but isn't it a bit circular? I run emacs 27.0.50 on Debian 9. I don't have the Musica font you refer to, and it's not built in. Could you tell me where you got that from?

Andrew

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 17:29, Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> wrote:

In Emacs, move the cursor to the interesting character, then press

  C-u C-x =

to see the current character's information.  For example, I get the
font

  -Free-Musica-normal-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Werner LEMBERG

> This is all great, but isn't it a bit circular?

Circular?  What do you mean?

> I run emacs 27.0.50 on Debian 9.  I don't have the Musica font you
> refer to, and it's not built in.

Built in?  What exactly is the problem?  A quick search on google with

  musica.ttf debian

yields

  ttf-ancient-fonts

as a package name.

> Could you tell me where you got that from?

It's part of an openSuSE package.  Anyways, I suggest to use the Noto
font, which is actively maintained by google; again, a google search
for

  NotoSansSymbols-Regular.ttf debian

yields

  fonts-noto-unhinted

as a Debian package name.  Note that I don't use Debian, so my quick
search results might not fit.

If you want the most recent version of the Noto font, download it from

  https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts/blob/master/unhinted/NotoSansSymbols-Regular.ttf

A specimen of the font is available at

  https://fontinfo.opensuse.org/fonts/NotoSansSymbolsRegular.html

    Werner

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Andrew Bernard
Hi Werner,

Circular meaning implying the existence of something already that I don't have. Because you said you just ran emacs and looked. I found it is part of Suse. Thanks.

I am looking at Symbola, but 1D132 is a very small sharp with a 4, which is valid, but not the normal lilypond semisharp symbol.

Andrew

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 19:39, Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is all great, but isn't it a bit circular?

Circular?  What do you mean?

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Andrew Bernard
Hi Werner,

Thanks for all this really precious information. Noto Sans is really good.

But I am barking up the wrong tree it appears to me. Symbola and Noto Sans cover this Unicode block, but the semisharp is the form of a sharp with a 4 for quartersharp. I was hoping to find the symbol I use, which is the lilypond semisharp symbol.

Do I need to look at Bravura from SMuFL perhaps?

Andrew

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Werner LEMBERG

> Circular meaning implying the existence of something already that I
> don't have.  Because you said you just ran emacs and looked.

Well, the second method that I described can be used in case Emacs
doesn't find a glyph.  BTW, another font that contains musical glyphs
of the U+1D1xx range is `FreeSerif.ttf', which contains accidentals at
a `normal' size.  So I suggest to use either FreeSerif or
NotoSansSymbols.

    Werner

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Andrew Bernard
Hello Werner,

My requirement now solved: I downloaded a redistributable of the SMuFL font Bravura from the official github repo. It has more accidentals than I dreamed of existing. The lilypond ones are 'Stein-Zimmerman' (whatever that is!) and semisharp and semiflat are U+E280 and U+E282. Exactly right. This means I can now refer to these symbols in text documents such as the preface to the string quartet I am doing.

I'm deeply grateful for your guidance.

Andrew

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Werner LEMBERG

> My requirement now solved: I downloaded a redistributable of the
> SMuFL font Bravura from the official github repo.

OK, but...

> It has more accidentals than I dreamed of existing. The lilypond
> ones are 'Stein-Zimmerman' (whatever that is!) and semisharp and
> semiflat are U+E280 and U+E282.

... please be aware that Unicode characters U+Exxx are from the
Private Use Area (PUA), which isn't standardized.  It's just the SMuFL
convention that gives them those character codes.  In other words, you
are now bound to fonts that are compatible with SMuFL.

    Werner

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Andrew Bernard
Thanks Werner,

In the current case, it's just for a text preface, so it should be alright.

It's a fascinating area. I have learned a lot today.

Andrew

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 21:54, Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> wrote:
... please be aware that Unicode characters U+Exxx are from the
Private Use Area (PUA), which isn't standardized.  It's just the SMuFL
convention that gives them those character codes.  In other words, you
are now bound to fonts that are compatible with SMuFL.

Re: Quarter tone sharp symbol in font

Aaron Hill
On 2019-02-21 2:54 am, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> My requirement now solved: I downloaded a redistributable of the
>> SMuFL font Bravura from the official github repo.
>
> OK, but...
>
>> It has more accidentals than I dreamed of existing. The lilypond
>> ones are 'Stein-Zimmerman' (whatever that is!) and semisharp and
>> semiflat are U+E280 and U+E282.
>
> ... please be aware that Unicode characters U+Exxx are from the
> Private Use Area (PUA), which isn't standardized.  It's just the SMuFL
> convention that gives them those character codes.  In other words, you
> are now bound to fonts that are compatible with SMuFL.

Probably does not matter much, but the CSUR [1] and UCSUR [2] also make
use of the private-use areas U+E000..U+F8FF and U+F0000-U+10FFFF.

[1]: http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/
[2]: http://www.kreativekorp.com/ucsur/

. shorah b'shehm

-- Aaron Hill