Problem associated with multiple quote sources

Problem associated with multiple quote sources

Peter Gentry-2

Some time ago (2015) I prepared a quintet version of the Farrenc Nonetto. To make things easier I added copious quotes to the many long chains of rests to help the players. For this purpose I created an ily containing a set of music for each line & movement (without cues) so that I could pick and chose quotes to go virtually anywhere. This worked fine then but today it runs into trouble.

\version "2.19.81"

%Preamble cut for brevity

% potential sources of cues for Movement One  ( bare indicates music without any cues)

cueNotesOneA=\include "Op38_Alto_L2_M1_bare.ily"

\addQuote "cueNotesOneA" { \cueNotesOneA }

cueNotesOneB=\include "Op38_Clarinet_L3_M1_bare.ily"

\addQuote "cueNotesOneB" { \cueNotesOneB }

%similar data to above for other parts cut out for brevity

\relative c'' {

% Tempo and some notes etc cut out for brevity

es2 g2 )   |  % 6

as2 f2  |  % 7

g4 r4 r4 r4   |  % 8

% example of a cue

\new CueVoice \with { instrumentCueName="clt3" }

\cueDuring #"cueNotesOneB"  #UP {\set Score.skipBars = ##t s1*4/4*3 }

% large chunkof notes  cut out for brevity

es'4\f r4 r4   |  % 413

c4 r4 r4   |  % 414

 \bar "|."

}

This works as expected for each movement on its own.

But when I combine the movements in a single file and include a frontpage (in the usual way)  I get error messages such as

C:/Users/Peter/Lilypool/Music_Files/Farrenc/Op38_Alto_L2_M1.ily:7:1: error: not a note name: cueNotesOneA

This also prevents the production of a complete score with all parts.

I realise the above is not a particularly small clip but it is the general application of lots of quotes in a longish piece which is no longer working as before.

The parts and score files are far too large to include here.

I have been pulling out the few remaining hairs if anyone knows why things have changed since 2015 I would be very grateful

Regards Peter

Re: Problem associated with multiple quote sources

David Kastrup
"Peter Gentry" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Some time ago (2015) I prepared a quintet version of the Farrenc Nonetto. To
> make things easier I added copious quotes to the many long chains of rests
> to help the players. For this purpose I created an ily containing a set of
> music for each line & movement (without cues) so that I could pick and chose
> quotes to go virtually anywhere. This worked fine then but today it runs
> into trouble.

[...]

> This works as expected for each movement on its own.
>

> But when I combine the movements in a single file and include a frontpage
> (in the usual way)  I get error messages such as

There is no usual way.

> C:/Users/Peter/Lilypool/Music_Files/Farrenc/Op38_Alto_L2_M1.ily:7:1: error:
> not a note name: cueNotesOneA

You use cueNotesOneA as the target for an assignment in the code you
quoted above but LilyPond tries to interpret it as a notename.

The most likely cause is you forgot a closing brace } .

> The parts and score files are far too large to include here.

Then make an example from scratch that isn't.  Really, there is not a
lot of help one can offer here without further information.

> I have been pulling out the few remaining hairs if anyone knows why things
> have changed since 2015 I would be very grateful

Things change all the time.  If you want to see what syntactical
entities LilyPond encounters and how it reacts to them, you can run it
with option -ddebug-parser .  The output will be humongous.  You can
direct it to a file and try capturing the last few dozen lines before
the error to guess what may be happening.