Printing lower continuo figures only

Brent Annable
Hi all,

I am currently reproducing a continuo part, and am having trouble achieving a particular effect: printing a continuo figure in the lower position only. So in the first example in the attached image, I want the '3' to appear on the lower line, at the same height as the '4' to the left of it.

I've tried inserting a dummy figure above it and using \once \hide FiguredBass.BassFigure, but it hides both figures. And I tried turning Bass Extender Lines on and then hiding the line stencil (see second example), but this doesn't seem to work either.

Anyone got an idea how to do this, or what I might be doing wrong? (aside from messing with the offsets, which is a bit approximate for me).

And while I'm here: is there any easy way of adjusting the font size of the continuo figures, but not the symbols (#, b, etc)?

Regards,

Brent.

\relative c' { \clef bass
  g2 ~ g
}
\figures {
<7 3>2 <6 4>4 <3>
}

%trying to hide the figure with an extender line, and then
%deleting the extender line

<<
\relative c' { \clef bass
  g2 ~ g
}
\figures { \bassFigureExtendersOn

\override FiguredBass.BassFigureLine.stencil = ##f <7 3>2 <6 4>4 <6 3>

continuo.png (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Printing lower continuo figures only

Mats Bengtsson-4

On 2018-03-29 16:31, Brent Annable wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently reproducing a continuo part, and am having trouble
> achieving a particular effect: printing a continuo figure in the
> *lower *position only. So in the first example in the attached image,
> I want the '3' to appear on the lower line, at the same height as the
> '4' to the left of it.
>
> I've tried inserting a dummy figure above it and using \once \hide
> FiguredBass.BassFigure, but it hides both figures. And I tried turning
> Bass Extender Lines on and then hiding the line stencil (see second
> example), but this doesn't seem to work either.
>
> Anyone got an idea how to do this, or what I might be doing wrong?
> (aside from messing with the offsets, which is a bit approximate for me).
>
> And while I'm here: is there any easy way of adjusting the font size
> of the continuo *figures*, but not the *symbols *(#, b, etc)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Brent.
>

> \version "2.19.65"
> <<
> \relative c' { \clef bass
>   g2 ~ g
> }
> \figures {
> <7 3>2 <6 4>4 <3>
> }

There's an ill documented parameter that you can set to get the desired
alignment:

<<
\relative c' { \clef bass
   g2 ~ g
}
\figures {
   \override BassFigureAlignment.stacking-dir = #UP
   <7 3>2 <6 4>4 <3>

Re: Printing lower continuo figures only

Davide Liessi-2
> I've tried inserting a dummy figure above it and using \once \hide
> FiguredBass.BassFigure, but it hides both figures. And I tried turning Bass
> Extender Lines on and then hiding the line stencil (see second example),

That's what I would do.

> but this doesn't seem to work either.
>
> Anyone got an idea how to do this, or what I might be doing wrong? (aside
> from messing with the offsets, which is a bit approximate for me).

You are trying to hide the wrong grob: what you are looking for is
BassFigureContinuation.

  \relative c' {
    \clef bass
    g2 ~ g
  }
  \figures {
    <7 3>2 <6 4>4
    \once \bassFigureExtendersOn
    \once \hide BassFigureContinuation
    <6 3>
  }

Of course you can put those commands in a variable for convenience.

\version "2.19.65"
aaa = {
  \once \bassFigureExtendersOn
  \once \hide BassFigureContinuation
  \relative c' {
    \clef bass
    g2 ~ g
  }
  \figures {
    <7 3>2  <6 4>4 \aaa <6 3>
  }

(Unfortunately Mats' solution flips the positions of all figures and
gives bad alignments if you use it only for part of the piece.)

Best wishes.
Davide

Re: Printing lower continuo figures only

Lukas-Fabian Moser

I am currently reproducing a continuo part, and am having trouble achieving a particular effect: printing a continuo figure in the lower position only. So in the first example in the attached image, I want the '3' to appear on the lower line, at the same height as the '4' to the left of it.

That's a problem I frequently encounter. Most often I print an additional 4 which I set to white; but since I didn't manage to tweak the colour for a single bass figure, I use a \markup { \number 4 } which additionally has to be tuned to the right font size.

What would be really helpful here would be a placeholder/dummy "empty bass figure" which takes up the amount of vertical space any regular bass figure takes. But I do not know how hard it would be to add such a thing.

Best
Lukas