Previous discussion on tuplet breaking over lines?

Previous discussion on tuplet breaking over lines?

Trevor Bača-2
Hello,

Tuplets don't ever break over lines currently (unless I'm misreading
the code, or just haven't dug enough yet).

Has there been any previous development discussion about this point? I
can't find anything in a quick scan of the archive, but I wanna make
sure before I dig further.

Also, the changes here would have to be to both the spacing routines
and the tuplet bracket drawing routines, yes?

Trevor.

Re: Previous discussion on tuplet breaking over lines?

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Trevor Baca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tuplets don't ever break over lines currently (unless I'm misreading
> the code, or just haven't dug enough yet).

I'm pretty sure they do. What's the problem?

On 7/29/05, Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Trevor Baca wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Tuplets don't ever break over lines currently (unless I'm misreading
> > the code, or just haven't dug enough yet).
>
> I'm pretty sure they do. What's the problem?

If we compare

\score {
   \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff {\clef treble e'2 e' | e' e'}
      \new Staff {\clef bass
         c'4 c' c' c' \break | % this break does what we expect
         c' c' c' c'}

   \layout {raggedright = ##t}
}

... with ...

\score {
   \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff {\clef treble \times 4/5 {e'2 e' e' e' e'}}
      \new Staff {\clef bass
         c'4 c' c' c' \break | % this break doesn't
         c' c' c' c'}

   \layout {raggedright = ##t}
}

... both under 2.7.0., we see that the \break in the first example
takes perfectly; the break in second example doesn't take at all (I'm
assuming because of the tuplet in the treble).

Another good test case:

\score {
   \new Staff {
      \clef treble
      \time 4/4
      c'4 c'4
      \repeat unfold SOME_LARGE_NUMBER_HERE {\times 4/5 {d'4 d'4 d'4 d'4 d'4}}
      c'4 c'4

Plugging 20 or 30 into the unfold causes squashing. It appears that
the spacing engine won't *ever* break into the middle of the one of
the tuples (so no line break at all, no matter how long the line).

But I'm probably missing something obvious; is there a circumstance
under which tuplet brackets do break??

Trevor Baca wrote:
> But I'm probably missing something obvious; is there a circumstance
> under which tuplet brackets do break??

I think you have to \remove Forbid_break_engraver. Or make sure that the
  tuplet bar lines and breaks are exactly aligned, eg.

  \times 2/3 { c4 c4 \bar "empty"\break c4 }

Re: Previous discussion on tuplet breaking over lines?

Stephen-7

>> But I'm probably missing something obvious; is there a circumstance
>> under which tuplet brackets do break??
>
> I think you have to \remove Forbid_break_engraver. Or make sure that the

It is actually called Forbid_line_break_engraver:

\score {
   \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff {\clef treble \times 4/5 {e'2 e' e' e' e'}}
      \new Staff {\clef bass
         c'4 c' c' c' \break | % this break does!
         c' c' c' c'}

   \layout {
      \context { \Voice \remove Forbid_line_break_engraver }
      raggedright = ##t

Stephen

On 7/30/05, Stephen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

YES. That's it exactly! I saw that there were line-breaking procedures
defined on the TupletBracket but I forgot to do another pass over the
reference list of engravers. The Forbid_line_break_engraver is a
pretty nifty widget.

Thank you both!

Trevor.

Re: Previous discussion on tuplet breaking over lines?

Stephen-7

On 7/30/05, Stephen <[hidden email]> wrote:

It forbids a line break when any notehead is still playing, not just notes
in tuplets.

Stephen