Preferred way for text

Hans de Rijck
Hi gurus,

What is the preferred way to add general texts?
So far I've found two ways that are reasonably 'universal':

\mark \markup { MyText }

or

s1*0 ^\markup { MyText }

where the latter has the possibility to position the text above the staff.

or is there another way that should be used for general purpose?

regards,

Hans.

Re: Preferred way for text

Mats Bengtsson-6
Depends on what you want to use it for.

For a longer section of text, such as lyrics lines for some verses
of a song, you can actually have a \markup{...} completely outside the
\score{...}.

Hans de Rijck wrote:
> Hi gurus,
>
> What is the preferred way to add general texts?
> So far I've found two ways that are reasonably 'universal':
>
> \mark \markup { MyText }

gives you a textual indication over a bar line or between notes.

> or
>
> s1*0 ^\markup { MyText }

gives you a textual indication over a note (assuming that the s1*0
starts at the same time as a note).

> where the latter has the possibility to position the text above the staff.

Yes, assuming that you mean that you can have different text over
different staves, as opposed to \mark which only places text over
the top stave.

> or is there another way that should be used for general purpose?

Too general question to answer!

R1^\markup { MyText } for texts centered over full measure rests, for
example.

Re: Preferred way for text

Trevor Bača-2
On 8/26/05, Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Depends on what you want to use it for.
>
> For a longer section of text, such as lyrics lines for some verses
> of a song, you can actually have a \markup{...} completely outside the
> \score{...}.
>
> Hans de Rijck wrote:
> > Hi gurus,
> >
> > What is the preferred way to add general texts?
> > So far I've found two ways that are reasonably 'universal':
> >
> > \mark \markup { MyText }
>
> gives you a textual indication over a bar line or between notes.
>

> > or
> >
> > s1*0 ^\markup { MyText }
>
> gives you a textual indication over a note (assuming that the s1*0
> starts at the same time as a note).
> >
> > where the latter has the possibility to position the text above the staff.
>
> Yes, assuming that you mean that you can have different text over
> different staves, as opposed to \mark which only places text over
> the top stave.
>
> > or is there another way that should be used for general purpose?
>
> Too general question to answer!
>
> R1^\markup { MyText } for texts centered over full measure rests, for
> example.
That exchange right there might beneficially add to the manual at
section 8.1.3 or 8.1.4.

* external \markup { } for a block of text outside a score
* \mark \markup { } for text over a barline or between notes (and only
above the topmost staff)
* _\markup { } and ^\markup { } for text below or above the a single
staff, respectively
* R1^\markup { } for text centered over fullmeasure rests

... with an example of each.

Those uses are quite clear to me now, but they certainly weren't at
the beginning.

Trevor Bača

Re: Preferred way for text

Hans de Rijck
Hi Mats,

> > or is there another way that should be used for general purpose?
>
> Too general question to answer!

Well, in fact it's a clear answer. Apparently there is no general way.

thanks,

Hans.

ps. I agree with Trevor that adding the different ways to the manual would
help.

h.

Re: Preferred way for text

Graham Percival-2

On 26-Aug-05, at 9:23 AM, Trevor Baca wrote:
> That exchange right there might beneficially add to the manual at
> section 8.1.3 or 8.1.4.

Most of this info is already in the manual, though.

> * external \markup { } for a block of text outside a score

Not really covered, but I've added it now.

> * \mark \markup { } for text over a barline or between notes (and only
> above the topmost staff)

8.1.3

> * _\markup { } and ^\markup { } for text below or above the a single
> staff, respectively

8.1.1

> * R1^\markup { } for text centered over fullmeasure rests

8.2.3

> ... with an example of each.
>
> Those uses are quite clear to me now, but they certainly weren't at
> the beginning.

Well, I'm happy to add user-contributed docs; see
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/documentation-adding