Poor error reporting

Sven Axelsson
Has all error reporting been removed from version 2.5?

I am trying to produce a book made up of many included files and
Lilypond just quits producing no output. How am I supposed to
find out what went wrong with no indication of the included files
and no error messages whatsoever in the log? Running with the
verbose option adds no useful information, just some counters
and timing.

I don't have 2.4 installed at the moment, but I seem to remember
that the error reporting was a bit better there,

--
Sven Axelsson

Re: Poor error reporting

Erik Sandberg
On Monday 06 June 2005 16.21, Sven Axelsson wrote:

> Has all error reporting been removed from version 2.5?
>
> I am trying to produce a book made up of many included files and
> Lilypond just quits producing no output. How am I supposed to
> find out what went wrong with no indication of the included files
> and no error messages whatsoever in the log? Running with the
> verbose option adds no useful information, just some counters
> and timing.
>
> I don't have 2.4 installed at the moment, but I seem to remember
> that the error reporting was a bit better there,

Could you please give an example?

erik

Re: Poor error reporting

Does the program run to the end or does it crash in the middle?
I don't think there have been many changes in the printouts from
LilyPond, but if you have happened to trigger a bug that gives a
segmentation fault, then it may happen that you don't get any
useful information.

If you want more help from the mailing list, please at least provide
a copy of the printouts from lilypond --verbose or send the complete
input files.

    /Mats

Sven Axelsson wrote:

> Has all error reporting been removed from version 2.5?
>
> I am trying to produce a book made up of many included files and
> Lilypond just quits producing no output. How am I supposed to
> find out what went wrong with no indication of the included files
> and no error messages whatsoever in the log? Running with the
> verbose option adds no useful information, just some counters
> and timing.
>
> I don't have 2.4 installed at the moment, but I seem to remember
> that the error reporting was a bit better there,

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Poor error reporting

Sven Axelsson
> From: Mats Bengtsson [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Subject: Re: Poor error reporting
>
> Does the program run to the end or does it crash in the middle?
> I don't think there have been many changes in the printouts from
> LilyPond, but if you have happened to trigger a bug that gives a
> segmentation fault, then it may happen that you don't get any
> useful information.
>
> If you want more help from the mailing list, please at least provide
> a copy of the printouts from lilypond --verbose or send the complete
> input files.

Ok, I might have come off needlessly annoyed here. Sorry about that. I
have found what casues this. It looks like some syntax errors inside a
markup causes Lilypond to produce no output. Here's what triggered the
error this time (trimmed to a minimum)

\version "2.5.27"

\header {
    title = \markup { \fill-line {  } }
}
\relative c'' {
    a b c d
}

Note the empty fill-line in the header markup.

Here is the log:

# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `D:/Music/test.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [1]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks... [2]

So it dies in the "Calculating page breaks" phase.

--
Sven Axelsson

Re: Poor error reporting

Mats Bengtsson-6
Please send bug reports like these to bug-lilypond (I've included
a cc: there for this one).

   /Mats