Polyphony and multiple voice contexts

Jeff Shuman
I've only been working with Lilypond for a couple months, but I haven't been able to figure this out by the manual. I'm using version 2.6.4-5 for Windows.

I use Lilypond for engraving congregational hymns. Almost all the songs are in 4-parts, and have the 3 verses followed by a single chorus. All the lyrics should appear between the staves. I want the flags on the staff to face opposite directions (soprano and tenor up, alto and bass down). I've seen the SATB score example, but I also want to separate the VERSE music and lyrics from the CHORUS
music and lyrics.

The following solution almost works, but no lyrics appear. (full .ly source is available at http://36thstchurchofchrist.com/documents/bindhands.ly ) Can someone please point
out the error(s)?

\score {
       \context ChoirStaff <<
           \context Staff = women {
           \context Voice = verses <<
               { << \global \globaltwo \sopMusic >> } \\
               { << \globaltwo \altoMusic >> }

           \context Voice = chorusW <<
               { << \globaltwo \sopChorusMusic >> } \\
               { << \globaltwo \altoChorusMusic >> }

       }

          \context Lyrics = lineone { s1 }
          \context Lyrics = linetwo { s1 }
          \context Lyrics = linethree { s1 }

           \context Staff = men {
           \clef bass
           <<
               { << \global \globaltwo \tenorMusic >> } \\
               { << \globaltwo \bassMusic >> }

           <<
               { << \globaltwo \tenorChorusMusic >> } \\
               { << \globaltwo \bassChorusMusic >> }

       }

\context Lyrics = lineone \lyricsto verses \verseonewords
\context Lyrics = linetwo \lyricsto verses \versetwowords
\context Lyrics = linethree \lyricsto verses \versethreewords
\context Lyrics = lineone \lyricsto chorusW \choruswomen

Re: Polyphony and multiple voice contexts

Markian Hlynka
I appreciate your frustration, and unfortunately don't have an answer. I've only been working with lilypond for a week! But, a number of my questions on vocal scores have gone unanswered. This seems to indicate to me that the manual need some revision, as a lot of people do seem to be doing vocal work! I'd be happy to help with the manual once i know what I'm doing.

:-D

In the meantime, though, please let me know if you find a solution!

Not much help, but when I run your full file, I get:

Processing `bindhands.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [8][16]
warning: cannot find Voice `verses'
warning: cannot find Voice `verses'
warning: cannot find Voice `verses'
warning: cannot find Voice `chorusW'
[18]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks... [3][6][9][12][15][18][19]
Interpreting music...
warning: cannot find Voice `verses'
warning: cannot find Voice `verses'
warning: cannot find Voice `verses'
warning: cannot find Voice `chorusW'
MIDI output to `bindhands.midi'...
Track...
Calculating page breaks...[6]
Layout output to `bindhands.ps'...
Converting to `bindhands.pdf'...
2005-11-09 14:10:06.322 open[700] No such file: (null)

This suggests to me that either you lyrics or your voices are declared:
- in the wrong place/order
- with the wrong syntax.

I'm having quite a lot of trouble learning some aspects of lilypond. And I'm a programmer. I've used regular expressions and left recursive grammars... And I frequently write with LaTeX! You'd think this would be easy for me!

Thanks,

Markian

On Nov 9, 2005, at 13:06, Jeff Shuman wrote:

I've only been working with Lilypond for a couple months, but I haven't been able to figure this out by the manual. I'm using version 2.6.4-5 for Windows.

I use Lilypond for engraving congregational hymns. Almost all the songs are in 4-parts, and have the 3 verses followed by a single chorus. All the lyrics should appear between the staves. I want the flags on the staff to face opposite directions (soprano and tenor up, alto and bass down). I've seen the SATB score example, but I also want to separate the VERSE music and lyrics from the CHORUS
music and lyrics.

The following solution almost works, but no lyrics appear. (full .ly source is available at http://36thstchurchofchrist.com/documents/bindhands.ly ) Can someone please point
out the error(s)?

<snip>

Re: Polyphony and multiple voice contexts

Graham Percival-2

On 9-Nov-05, at 1:12 PM, Markian Hlynka wrote:

> I appreciate your frustration, and unfortunately don't have an answer.
> I've only been working with lilypond for a week! But, a number of my
> questions on vocal scores have gone unanswered. This seems to indicate
> to me that the manual need some revision, as a lot of people do seem
> to be doing vocal work! I'd be happy to help with the manual once i
> know what I'm doing.

The manual is always open for revision.  One main problem is that the
manual editor (me) doesn't write any vocal stuff.  So I don't have
experience writing vocal stuff in lilypond, I don't have knowledge of
what vocal music looks like in real life, etc.

As soon as you think you can help, please read
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/documentation-adding

Re: Polyphony and multiple voice contexts

Please read in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Explicitly-instantiating-voices.html#Explicitly-instantiating-voices
on exactly what the <<{...} \\ {...} >> feature does.

Note that the LilyPond concept of Voice contexts is intended to
correspond exactly to the musical concept of one voice, i.e. you should
have one Voice context for each voice. Also, since the rhythm may
differ between different voices, the lyrics has to be connected to a
single voice.

Here's one possible structure for your \score block. Note that I have
reorganized things a bit more. For example, I have only explicitly
named the Voice contexts that need a name and I got rid of \global2.

global = {
    \key g \major
    \override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'()
    \time 4/4
    % Version of the \aikenHeads macro that applies to all
    % voices in the stave:
    \set Staff.shapeNoteStyles = ##(do re mi fa #f la ti)
    % Idem for \autoBeamOff
    \set Staff.autoBeaming = ##f

  \context ChoirStaff <<
    \context Staff = women {
      \global
      <<
        \context Voice = sopVerses { \voiceOne \sopMusic }
        \new Voice { \voiceTwo \altoMusic }

      <<
        \context Voice = sopChorus { \voiceOne \sopChorusMusic }
        \new Voice { \voiceTwo \altoChorusMusic }

    }

    \context Lyrics = lineone { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = linetwo { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = linethree { s1 }

    \context Staff = men {
      \clef bass
      \global
      <<
        \new Voice { \voiceOne \tenorMusic }
        \new Voice { \voiceTwo \bassMusic }

      <<
        \new Voice { \voiceOne \tenorChorusMusic }
        \new Voice { \voiceTwo \bassChorusMusic }

    }

    \lyricsto sopVerses \context Lyrics = lineone \verseonewords
    \lyricsto sopVerses \context Lyrics = linetwo \versetwowords
    \lyricsto sopVerses \context Lyrics = linethree \versethreewords
    \lyricsto sopChorus \context Lyrics = lineone \choruswomen

  \layout {
       indent = 0
   }

  \midi { \tempo 4=100 }
}

You can simplify it further, for example by replacing
      <<
        \context Voice = sopVerses { \voiceOne \sopMusic }
        \new Voice { \voiceTwo \altoMusic }

      <<
        \context Voice = sopChorus { \voiceOne \sopChorusMusic }
        \new Voice { \voiceTwo \altoChorusMusic }

with
          \context Voice = sopVerses { \voiceOne \sopMusic }
          \context Voice = sopChorus { \voiceOne \sopChorusMusic }
        }
        \new Voice { \voiceTwo \altoMusic \altoChorusMusic }

   /Mats

Markian Hlynka wrote:

> ... I've only been working with lilypond for a week! But, a number of
> my questions on vocal scores have gone unanswered. This seems to
> indicate to me that the manual need some revision, as a lot of people
> do seem to be doing vocal work! I'd be happy to help with the manual
> once i know what I'm doing.

If you have any remaining unanswered questions, please post them again.
I had
the impression that you had received answers and also that you had
gained insight
enough to resolve most of the initial questions yourself now.