Polymeter help

Andrew Bernard
Let me say at the outset that I suspect this may be impossible. I am thoroughly deadlocked at a page of the quartet of the composer I am setting. This section is in polymeter, but the composer has scaled the durations of the viola and cello by an unknown factor, and also and insists on the end of the staves not being at the some point. I am unable to see how to implement the page breaks in lilypond.

I can't provide a MWE because I simply cant get anything useful to work. Please refer to the attached image. The upper tow parts are supposed to be at tempo 52. and the lower at 63, but lilypond of course does not lay out by tempo.

The poymeter examples in the NR are great, but it's the end of system unevenness at the right hand side of the page I have no idea how to deal with.

Andrew

polymeter.png (399K) Download Attachment

Re: Polymeter help

Andrew Bernard
I am just looking for advice. I would not expect anybody to code this up.

Andrew

Re: Polymeter help

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Andrew,

> I am just looking for advice. I would not expect anybody to code this up.

=)

I don’t see what the problem would be, ultimately…? I’ve never had any [real] problem with polymeter, or with putting "empty space" at the end of the system (by using skips and \bar "").

This just looks like a combination of those two concepts. Yes?

If you want — and you haven’t solved it by then — I’ll sketch up some code later this weekend.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Re: Polymeter help

Phil Holmes
>> I am just looking for advice. I would not expect anybody to code this up.
>
> =)
>
> I don’t see what the problem would be, ultimately…? I’ve never had any
> [real] problem with polymeter, or with putting "empty space" at the end of
> the system (by using skips and \bar "").
>
> This just looks like a combination of those two concepts. Yes?
>
> If you want — and you haven’t solved it by then — I’ll sketch up some code
> later this weekend.
>
> Cheers,
> Kieren.
> ________________________________
>
> Kieren MacMillan, composer
> ‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
> ‣ email: [hidden email]

Also possibly a bit of scaling of durations?

--
Phil Holmes

Re: Polymeter help

Urs Liska-3

Am 5. April 2019 14:08:07 MESZ schrieb Phil Holmes <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

and maybe some \stopStaff ?

>--
>Phil Holmes

Re: Polymeter help

Andrew Bernard
Indeed. I would far prefer that to the blank part at the end. Good idea.

Andrew

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 01:53, Urs Liska <[hidden email]> wrote:

and maybe some \stopStaff ?

Re: Polymeter help

Urs Liska-3

Am 5. April 2019 17:06:27 MESZ schrieb Andrew Bernard <[hidden email]>:
>Indeed. I would far prefer that to the blank part at the end. Good
>idea.

The problem I see here is that this would require a complementary difference at the next system *start*.