Playing with Quartertones

Michael Heerdegen
Hello,

I'm a newby.  I want to know if lilypond is a good tool for my use case:

When I have a midi file containing quartertones, like the ones on this
page for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_tonehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_tone

or, more generally, other "microtones", is it possible to import the
file in lilypond?  How would that look like?  Would it be possible to
export back to midi?

BTW, I've found this page:

  http://www.ekmelic-music.org/en/index.htm

it links to an addon (Ekmelily) that "supports the notation of
microtonal music in several equal-temperament tunings: 12, 19, 24, 31,
36, 48, and 72-EDO".  But only these, and the page states that it isn't
possible to export the result to midi.

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Michael.

Re: Playing with Quartertones

Hans Åberg-2

> On 16 May 2020, at 05:35, Michael Heerdegen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I have a midi file containing quartertones, like the ones on this
> page for example:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_tone
>
> or, more generally, other "microtones", is it possible to import the
> file in lilypond?  How would that look like?  Would it be possible to
> export back to midi?

You need to know what you want: LilyPond proper only handles ETs that are multiples of 12, but Graham Breed made a file regular.ly that kan handle any ET. Then this can be used to simulate more complex microtones.

In addition, LilyPond lacks the font glyphs, but they can be used with OpenLilyLib, say with the SMuFL specification, which has a Bravura font.
  https://www.smufl.org

One point of departure might be Helmholtz-Ellis notation. It departs from Pythagorean tuning, extended with syntonic commas, but is approximated well by E53, and E72 can also be used.
  http://www.marcsabat.com/pdfs/notation.pdf

E31 and E19 are meantone tunings that approximate the respective major and minor thirds well. Turkish music departs from Pythagorean commas, but is also approximated well by E53 and E73. In Arab and Persian music, the amount is one the average about the double of that. In E72, one tonestep, or comma, alteration correspond to the 5th partial, two to the 7th partial, and three, the exact E12 quartertones that are in E24, to the 11th partial.

> BTW, I've found this page:
>
>  http://www.ekmelic-music.org/en/index.htm
>
> it links to an addon (Ekmelily) that "supports the notation of
> microtonal music in several equal-temperament tunings: 12, 19, 24, 31,
> 36, 48, and 72-EDO".  But only these, and the page states that it isn't
> possible to export the result to midi.

It looks to something like the Bravura font.