Pitched Trill Collision

dtsmarin
Hi,

How can I move the pitched trill note so that the ledger lines aren't connected?
This shouldn't happen at all. You have to change the engraving rules for this specific notation.
It's at least unreadable when notes are outside the staff.

I hope I won't need to fake this with an extra voice and etc.

Dimitris

Re: Pitched Trill Collision

Malte Meyn-3

Am 30.09.2016 um 15:47 schrieb dtsmarin:
> How can I move the pitched trill note so that the ledger lines aren't
> connected?

Try using a version ≤ 2.19.40.

> This shouldn't happen at all. You have to change the engraving rules for
> this specific notation.

This is a bug which was introduced between 2.19.40 and 2.19.42, probably
by commit b184142c; the commit message says “Merge overlapping ledger
data before producing ledger stencils so we only produce one stencil for
each ledger line.”

Here a minimal example:

\version "2.19.42"
\pitchedTrill a''\startTrillSpan a''

I’ll CC this to the bug list.

Re: Pitched Trill Collision

dtsmarin
Thanks Malte.
Unfortunately I can't downgrade to an older version because some files won't compile at all.I updated to the newest one by that time (2.19.48) and everyting but this works fine.

I hope it gets fixed soon.

Best,
Dimitris

Re: Pitched Trill Collision

Malte Meyn-3

Am 30.09.2016 um 19:56 schrieb dtsmarin:
> Unfortunately I can't downgrade to an older version because some files won't
> compile at all.

Which features of 2.19.41–48 do need? Maybe there’s an alternative so
you can use 2.19.40.

Re: Pitched Trill Collision

Simon Albrecht-2
Thanks for report and analysis.

This has been added as
<https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4979/>.

Best, Simon

On 30.09.2016 19:44, Malte Meyn wrote:

> Am 30.09.2016 um 15:47 schrieb dtsmarin:
>> How can I move the pitched trill note so that the ledger lines aren't
>> connected?
>
> Try using a version ≤ 2.19.40.
>
>> This shouldn't happen at all. You have to change the engraving rules for
>> this specific notation.
>
> This is a bug which was introduced between 2.19.40 and 2.19.42,
> probably by commit b184142c; the commit message says “Merge
> overlapping ledger data before producing ledger stencils so we only
> produce one stencil for each ledger line.”
>
> Here a minimal example:
>
> \version "2.19.42"
> \pitchedTrill a''\startTrillSpan a''
>
> I’ll CC this to the bug list.

Re: Pitched Trill Collision

Paul Morris
Thanks for the bug report.  I posted a comment on the issue here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4979/#b111

-Paul

On 09/30/2016 04:26 PM, Simon Albrecht wrote:

> Thanks for report and analysis.
>
> This has been added as
> <https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4979/>.
>
> Best, Simon
>

> On 30.09.2016 19:44, Malte Meyn wrote:
>>

>> Am 30.09.2016 um 15:47 schrieb dtsmarin:
>>> How can I move the pitched trill note so that the ledger lines aren't
>>> connected?
>>
>> Try using a version ≤ 2.19.40.
>>
>>> This shouldn't happen at all. You have to change the engraving rules
>>> for
>>> this specific notation.
>>
>> This is a bug which was introduced between 2.19.40 and 2.19.42,
>> probably by commit b184142c; the commit message says “Merge
>> overlapping ledger data before producing ledger stencils so we only
>> produce one stencil for each ledger line.”
>>
>> Here a minimal example:
>>
>> \version "2.19.42"
>> \pitchedTrill a''\startTrillSpan a''
>>
>> I’ll CC this to the bug list.

Re: Pitched Trill Collision

Malte Meyn-3

Am 01.10.2016 um 18:39 schrieb Paul:
> Thanks for the bug report.  I posted a comment on the issue here:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4979/#b111

This comment says:

> When two ledger lines are at the same vertical position, in the same note column, (as I assume is probably the case with a pitched trill note?) we apparently can't just assume that they overlap horizontally (as is most often the case with chords). We will have to check whether they overlap horizontally or not before merging them.

There are other cases where notes in the same note column are
horizontally far away from each other, see f. e.
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=505 so this is not a
pitchedTrill-only problem ;)

Re: Pitched Trill Collision

Paul Morris
On 10/01/2016 01:02 PM, Malte Meyn wrote:

> Am 01.10.2016 um 18:39 schrieb Paul:
>> Thanks for the bug report.  I posted a comment on the issue here:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4979/#b111
>
> This comment says:
>
>> When two ledger lines are at the same vertical position, in the same
>> note column, (as I assume is probably the case with a pitched trill
>> note?) we apparently can't just assume that they overlap horizontally
>> (as is most often the case with chords). We will have to check
>> whether they overlap horizontally or not before merging them.
>
> There are other cases where notes in the same note column are
> horizontally far away from each other, see f. e.
> http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=505 so this is not a
> pitchedTrill-only problem ;)

Indeed, that's a good example for this, and if we check whether ledger
lines overlap horizontally or not before merging them, then we'll have
solved all these cases.  :-)  Adding some of these cases to the
regression tests will also help.

Cheers,
-Paul

dak

Re: Pitched Trill Collision

dak
Paul <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 10/01/2016 01:02 PM, Malte Meyn wrote:
>
>> Am 01.10.2016 um 18:39 schrieb Paul:
>>> Thanks for the bug report.  I posted a comment on the issue here:
>>> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4979/#b111
>>
>> This comment says:
>>
>>> When two ledger lines are at the same vertical position, in the
>>> same note column, (as I assume is probably the case with a pitched
>>> trill note?) we apparently can't just assume that they overlap
>>> horizontally (as is most often the case with chords). We will have
>>> to check whether they overlap horizontally or not before merging
>>> them.
>>
>> There are other cases where notes in the same note column are
>> horizontally far away from each other, see
>> f. e. http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=505 so this is not a
>> pitchedTrill-only problem ;)
>
> Indeed, that's a good example for this, and if we check whether ledger
> lines overlap horizontally or not before merging them, then we'll have
> solved all these cases.  :-)  Adding some of these cases to the
> regression tests will also help.

Are they even guaranteed to have the same thickness?  If not, merging
will be quite a chore.

Re: Pitched Trill Collision

Paul Morris
On 10/01/2016 02:20 PM, David Kastrup wrote:

> Paul <[hidden email]> writes:
>> Indeed, that's a good example for this, and if we check whether ledger
>> lines overlap horizontally or not before merging them, then we'll have
>> solved all these cases.  :-)  Adding some of these cases to the
>> regression tests will also help.
> Are they even guaranteed to have the same thickness?  If not, merging
> will be quite a chore.

Yes, I think so, as far as this code is concerned.  The
ledger-line-thickness property (of StaffSymbol) determines the thickness
of all the ledgers for a given LedgerLineSpanner, and this apparently
includes ledgers for pitched trill notes, even though the note head is
smaller.

I had some time today and I'm happy to say that despite still feeling a
bit like a tourist in C++ land, I have a patch that fixes the problem.
Uploading it for review soon.

Cheers,
-Paul