Pictures too small

Jannik Jeppesen
How is it possible to make the scripts bigger?
I use my scripts in Word, since I don´t now how else to print them out with text... Cant figure out the lilybook.

So I open each pdf file, takes a print screen and opens again in paint, then I safte the picture in jpg, and opens that in word. Then I can Add text and so on.

But how do I make the pics bigger? They are very small when printed out in word.
And If someone could help me with an easyer method for this, that would be great.

I use winXP

Best wishes
Jannik

Re: Pictures too small

Dunstan Vavasour
For MS word I strongly recommend using EPS. You must set tagline to
"", and this will generate a nice tight eps file with a very basic
rough preview. Taking a screen print will result in very coarse
resolution.

Then, in MS word, use "insert picture from file", browse to where the
eps file is saved and import it. You can resize the fragment as with
any other image by dragging the frame. To preview, print the file to a
PDF file using FreepdfXP - notice that, because the fonts are embedded
in the EPS file, you can magnify the output without the resolution
coarsening.

Though it pains me to say so, I find that EPS import into MS word is
the most satisfactory way (on Windows) to produce service sheets which
include both  large amounts of text and vector image lilypond output.

On 25/02/06, Jannik Jeppesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How is it possible to make the scripts bigger?
> I use my scripts in Word, since I don´t now how else to print them out with
> text... Cant figure out the lilybook.
>
> So I open each pdf file, takes a print screen and opens again in paint, then
> I safte the picture in jpg, and opens that in word. Then I can Add text and
> so on.
>
> But how do I make the pics bigger? They are very small when printed out in
> word.
> And If someone could help me with an easyer method for this, that would be
> great.
>
> I use winXP
>
> Best wishes
> Jannik

Re: Pictures too small

Jannik Jeppesen
Hi and thanx for your answer... can you please specify following since I do
not understand what you meen...:

<For MS word I strongly recommend using EPS.>
What is this and how do I use it?
What is EPS files and how do I generate them?

<You must set tagline to"", and this will generate a nice tight eps file
with a very basic rough preview.>
I dont really understand what you meen here either...?

Best wishes
Jannik

Re: Pictures too small

Jannik Jeppesen
Hi and thanx for your answer..
I think I understand it all now... BUT:

<You can export your score to EPS (and not PDF as normally) by adding "-b
eps" when running the lilypond command:
$ lilypond -b eps score_name.ly>

I never rund any command... I always just double click the .Ly file, and it
then generates a PDF file for me... So I still do not understand how to
generate the EPS file...

Thanx again

Jannik

Re: Pictures too small

Jannik Jeppesen

Is this possible at all in winXP???
Cant find any way to do this...
I really would like to see this mentioned EPS file in action;-)
Think it is just what I need

Jannik
---

> Hi and thanx for your answer..
> I think I understand it all now... BUT:
>
> <You can export your score to EPS (and not PDF as normally) by adding "-b
> eps" when running the lilypond command:
> $ lilypond -b eps score_name.ly>
>
> I never rund any command... I always just double click the .Ly file, and
> it then generates a PDF file for me... So I still do not understand how to
> generate the EPS file...
>
> Thanx again
>
> Jannik

Re: Pictures too small

Jannik Jeppesen
It does not work. The file I want to see in EPS is here:
C:/Documents and Settings/Jannik
Jeppesen/Skrivebord\Børnesange/Lilypond/mester jacob.ly

And my prog is here:
D:/Programmer/LilyPond/usr/bin/lilypond-windows

I try to whrite:

D:/Programmer/LilyPond/usr/bin/lilypond-windows -b eps C:/Documents and
Settings/Jannik Jeppesen/Skrivebord\Børnesange/Lilypond/mester jacob.ly

In start--> run

But it does not work...
Any Ideas?

> Hi,
> I guess the procedure is this: press start -> run -> write the path where
> lilypond is found, for example: "c:\program files\lilypond\lilypond -b eps
> c:\mymusic\my_score.ly
> Right now I'm not sure where you'll find the eps file, probably in the
> same
> folder as lilypond.

Re: Pictures too small

Mats Bengtsson-4
Easier: Start Menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

This gives you a command window. I guess that the command prompt says
C:/Documents and Settings/Jannik Jeppesen>
which shows the working folder. Then you can go to the folder where you
have the file:
cd Skrivebord\Børnesange\Lilypond

Next, rename the file so it doesn't contain any spaces, for example
to mester_jacob.ly (it should be possible to handle also files with
spaces in the file name, but it complicates matters).

Now you should be able to run the the command, which should already
be available in the PATH, meaning that you don't have to specify the
full path to the command:
lilypond -b eps mester_jacob.ly

   /Mats

Quoting Jannik Jeppesen <[hidden email]>:

> It does not work. The file I want to see in EPS is here:
> C:/Documents and Settings/Jannik
> Jeppesen/Skrivebord\Børnesange/Lilypond/mester jacob.ly
>
> And my prog is here:
> D:/Programmer/LilyPond/usr/bin/lilypond-windows
>
> I try to whrite:
>
> D:/Programmer/LilyPond/usr/bin/lilypond-windows -b eps C:/Documents
> and Settings/Jannik Jeppesen/Skrivebord\Børnesange/Lilypond/mester
> jacob.ly
>
> In start--> run
>
> But it does not work...
> Any Ideas?
>
>> Hi,
>> I guess the procedure is this: press start -> run -> write the path where
>> lilypond is found, for example: "c:\program files\lilypond\lilypond -b eps
>> c:\mymusic\my_score.ly
>> Right now I'm not sure where you'll find the eps file, probably in the same
>> folder as lilypond.

Re: Pictures too small

Jannik Jeppesen
Okay... Getting closer:-)

Can this file be opened in all word programs ? Im using microsoft word 2002,
and there are some problems.

I wrote:
lilypond -b eps mester_jacob.ly

and it made these files:
mester_jacob.midi
mester_jacob-systems.tex
mester_jacob-systems.texi
mester_jacob-1.eps (48 KB)
mester_jacob.eps (1.077 KB)
mester_jacob.eps.pdf (52 KB)

1. The pdf is totally blank?
2. if I open the eps or -1.eps file from word (insert...picture...from file)
it shows a little bit of some noteheads, and some bars... but nothing i
particular... the one is much bigger than the other, but it shows the same
in word

Am I doing somthing wrong...

Thanx
Jannik
---
Easier: Start Menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

This gives you a command window. I guess that the command prompt says
C:/Documents and Settings/Jannik Jeppesen>
which shows the working folder. Then you can go to the folder where you
have the file:
cd Skrivebord\Børnesange\Lilypond

Next, rename the file so it doesn't contain any spaces, for example
to mester_jacob.ly (it should be possible to handle also files with
spaces in the file name, but it complicates matters).

Now you should be able to run the the command, which should already
be available in the PATH, meaning that you don't have to specify the
full path to the command:
lilypond -b eps mester_jacob.ly

   /Mats

Quoting Jannik Jeppesen <[hidden email]>:

> It does not work. The file I want to see in EPS is here:
> C:/Documents and Settings/Jannik
> Jeppesen/Skrivebord\Børnesange/Lilypond/mester jacob.ly
>
> And my prog is here:
> D:/Programmer/LilyPond/usr/bin/lilypond-windows
>
> I try to whrite:
>
> D:/Programmer/LilyPond/usr/bin/lilypond-windows -b eps C:/Documents and
> Settings/Jannik Jeppesen/Skrivebord\Børnesange/Lilypond/mester jacob.ly
>
> In start--> run
>
> But it does not work...
> Any Ideas?
>
>> Hi,
>> I guess the procedure is this: press start -> run -> write the path where
>> lilypond is found, for example: "c:\program files\lilypond\lilypond -b
>> eps
>> c:\mymusic\my_score.ly
>> Right now I'm not sure where you'll find the eps file, probably in the
>> same
>> folder as lilypond.

Re: Pictures too small

Jannik Jeppesen
Yeahh...

Thanx alot Dunstan...
This prog freePdf is perfect and exactly what I need.
Now I can start creating my drum and guitar books. And make them exactly as
I want to...

<when I get to my other machine, there is a registry key I added
which enabled me to generate eps by right clicking on the .ly file -
I'll look that out later.>

I look very much forward to this, since it will make my work even easyer:-)

Thanx again

Jannik
---
On 25/02/06, Jannik Jeppesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay... Getting closer:-)
>
> Can this file be opened in all word programs ? Im using microsoft word
> 2002,
> and there are some problems.
>
> I wrote:
> lilypond -b eps mester_jacob.ly
>
> and it made these files:
> mester_jacob.midi
> mester_jacob-systems.tex
> mester_jacob-systems.texi
> mester_jacob-1.eps (48 KB)
> mester_jacob.eps (1.077 KB)
> mester_jacob.eps.pdf (52 KB)
>
> 1. The pdf is totally blank?
> 2. if I open the eps or -1.eps file from word (insert...picture...from
> file)
> it shows a little bit of some noteheads, and some bars... but nothing i
> particular... the one is much bigger than the other, but it shows the same
> in word
>
> Am I doing somthing wrong...

No, that's exactly right - from within MS Word it will look a right
mess. It is the larger file you want to import to MS Word.

The eps file contains two different representations of the music, one
a vector graphics representation (eps) and one a raster (bitmap)
representation (tiff). When you import the file into MS Word it uses
the raster image for display while you are working on it, but when you
print the document it uses the much more accurate vector
representation. If you print the document to a PDF file (using
FreepdfXP as found at http://freepdfxp.de/freepdf.htm ) you'll see the
vector rendered output.

BTW, when I get to my other machine, there is a registry key I added
which enabled me to generate eps by right clicking on the .ly file -
I'll look that out later.

Dunstan

EPS files

Jannik Jeppesen
Hi, have a few questions regarding EPS files.

If I generate an EPS file it generates alot of white emty space at the top
of the document. So when I open the EPS file in word there is a lot of emty
space between my text and the image. Here is a example of a file converted
to EPS:
---
\version "2.6.3"

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "a4")
  tagline = ""
  indent = 0\cm
}

blues = \relative c {
  \time 4/4
  \repeat volta 20 {
  a8\6 c\6 d\5 dis\5 e\5 g\4 a\4 c\3 d\3 dis\3 e\2 g\2 a\1 c\1
  a\1 g\2 e\2 dis\3 d\3 c\3 a\4 g\4 e\5 dis\5 d\5 c\6

guitar = \context Staff = "guitar" {
  \set Staff.midiInstrument = "acoustic guitar (nylon)"
  \key a \minor
  \clef "G_8"
  \blues
}

guitartab = \context TabStaff = "guitartab" {
  \override Beam #'transparent = ##t
  \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
  \blues

    \guitar
    \guitartab

  \layout {}
}
\score {}
---

Do any of you know where I tell  it to ONLY generate the eps files... (not
tex/texi
> and eps.pdf) I do not use these files...

Thanks for all your help.

/Jannik